Why only MDU DirecTV receiver can work with SWM MFH2 in apt?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NYSatelliteman

Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Hi,,,I have DirecTv in my house, and I also have access to DirecTV via MDU in a part-time working apt. What is strange is that only the official MDU/DirecTv receiver supplied when I signed up-- a D12-- successfully sees the SWM and gets a satellite signal from it. The building uses an MFH2 system, and has access to HD and international. The set-up in the receiver is Slimline 5 +72.5 and 95 (eventhough there is no 72.5 dish).

When connecting the DirecTV coax in my apt to the MDU-supplied D12 receiver, everything connects fine. When I disconnect that receiver and attempted connecting an H24 receiver from my house (to see my grandfathered distant locals, for example), or a brand new not-yet-activated HR24 bought from an official DirecTv dealer online with the very same coax, the receiver does not detect any signal from the SWM. Why is this? I completely did a reset of the receivers, I disconnect the official MDU receiver (so there is no simultaneous multiple receiver connected, eventhough I should be able to connect more than one, in theory), and no luck whatsoever. I am pretty well-versed in setting up DirecTv receivers properly, but when these receivers are connected directly to the SWM port, it sees nothing. In fact, the only way I get the H24, and HR24 to see the satellite signals and work is when I connect it to the legacy port of the SWM-8 switch. (The switch is in the closet near my apt, and I had access to it for testing purposes). So, what is going on? Why is the official DirecTV D12 receiver from MDU the only receiver to get signal and work when connected to the SWM's output? Why don't the H24 or HR24-- one activated from my house, and one not activated at all- detect any signal from the SWM at any time? It's almost as if the SWM has a system to detect an officially sanctioned MDU receiver connected to it. But how? Even when attempting to connect a brand new never activated receiver the SWM wasn't detected, but once I reconnect the official MDU D12 all is fine. What is going on? Would things work if I attempted connecting another non-HD receiver vs the HD receivers? How does MDU get any new receiver to be detected by the SWM and get signal from it? Thanks for any insight into this very strange experience with the SWM MFH2 system.

Have you gone to the system setup menu and run Satellite Setup, selecting the correct dish and SWM?

Yes,,,I have. And, the non-MDU receivers have not been able to detect the SWM. I do the exact same set-up as the MDU receiver, and the MDU receiver detects the SWM and gets a satellite signal. The non-MDU receivers only pick up a signal when connected to the legacy ports.

Status
Please reply by conversation.