Would-Be Newbie Question About Dish Network and Cable Internet

chuckf1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
Charlotte, N.C.
Been lurking for the last three weeks or so and have found this forum to be truly informative.

Now, if I might ask a question.....currently I'm with Time-Warner Cable for my my high-speed internet and cable television. As soon as my town, Charlotte, N.C., joins the list of communities that Dish offers locals in HDTV, I'd like to cut the cable, so to speak, as far a television goes, but keep my internet with TWC.

I've never had satellite before and therefore am not familiar with the installion process. From a technical point of view, will the Dish installer be able to hook up my television to the dish and yet allow me to keep my cable internet service?

Thank you very much.

Thats a tough question to answer. It all depends on how your lines are ran. Satellite recievers can NOT use splitters befor the reciever...after they can and this would become a mirror image. DN can NOT use RG59 only RG6 so. Also depending on the type of equipment you would be getting the tech might be able to diplex the cable and sat line together. Its really hard to say one way or another. Just have a Tech come out and take a look.

If you have all what we call home runs 'from the basement or out side to a room with no splitters' then there should be no problems

chuckf1 said:
Been lurking for the last three weeks or so and have found this forum to be truly informative.

Now, if I might ask a question.....currently I'm with Time-Warner Cable for my my high-speed internet and cable television. As soon as my town, Charlotte, N.C., joins the list of communities that Dish offers locals in HDTV, I'd like to cut the cable, so to speak, as far a television goes, but keep my internet with TWC.

I've never had satellite before and therefore am not familiar with the installion process. From a technical point of view, will the Dish installer be able to hook up my television to the dish and yet allow me to keep my cable internet service?

Thank you very much.
It's 2 totally different systems. The Dish installer will hook you up and then you just call the cable co. and tell them to cancel the TV part of your sub. I have the same setup, Dish/Cox.

Keep an eye on the installer. Mine wanted to cut my cables coming in, but I wanted to keep basic cable and internet from Cox.

Thank you for your replies. They were very helpful!

Tonight, was an example of why I want to ditch TWC. Got home around 5:30 and my cable was out, certainly not for the first time, and wasn't restored until about 3 hours later. GRRRRR

I am just cancelling my TWC HD package, it sucks. The picture quality on the basic channels on the 53" is horrable and the HD skips and breaks out all the time.

No problems keeping RR and having the Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)