yeo you guessed it - more shopping on dish

richmert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
yep you guessed it - more shopping on dish

OpenTV Builds First Interactive Television Shopping Application for Dish Network and Sharper Image

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050208/sftu117_1.html

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- OpenTV Corp. (Nasdaq: OPTV - News), one of the world's leading interactive television companies, helped EchoStar Communications Corporation's (Nasdaq: DISH - News) DISH Network and The Sharper Image make retail history by developing an iTV commerce application that brings the nation's first interactive television shopping channel to DISH Network's interactive TV line-up in February. Viewers will control the shopping experience by using their remote control to purchase merchandise from The Sharper Image on-screen catalog, access the status of their accounts, order history, and much more.

You didn't post the rest of the news story:

Toads everywhere were excited to hear this news since most of the home shopping crowd can't get dates nor do most of them have a life outside of their houses.

Meanwhile, Dish Network customers who want content that actually provides entertainment value are left in the cold again.

On a related note, Charlie has provided a new date for adding additional HD content. Now lucky customers waiting to view new HD channels will get their chance to do just that in 2008, coinciding with the release of the *new* 942 HD-DVR unit.

:p

where did you hear the 2008 thing from. doesn't surprise me as dish does not care about hd, just shopping channels.

jdsabin1 said:
On a related note, Charlie has provided a new date for adding additional HD content. Now lucky customers waiting to view new HD channels will get their chance to do just that in 2008, coinciding with the release of the *new* 942 HD-DVR unit.

:p

Of course, it's on the 811, but unusable ("Coming Soon"). Oh boy. I. Can. Hardly. Wait.

Look at what was accomplished the past 3 years and maybe we can have an idea of what may be accomplished during the next 3 years.

i guess the title of this thread should have been
"GUESS WHERE THE BANDWIDTH IS GOING"
interactive shopping sounds like it sucks up a lot of resources.
does anybody know for sure how many HD channels could be put up with one interactice shopping channel?

Foxbat said:
Of course, it's on the 811, but unusable ("Coming Soon"). Oh boy. I. Can. Hardly. Wait.
It is on the 301 and 501's as well and "coming soon".

How much space does it take? I doubt if ALL of the interactive apps and games combined take up the space a single HD channel consumes.

BTW: I'd rather have mosaics than the Sharper Image, even though a mosaic DOES take up a lot of space (1/4th of a HD channel).

JL

it didn't take anything away from my channel surfin' and they tucked it away so unless I really wanted to go there I don't have to see it. No complaints here, even if I never even shop at the Sharper Image and never plan on it!

I wonder if you'll be able to buy a dish receiver from the sharper image.

Larry said:
Probably not...all of the stuff I've bought from Sharper Image actually worked right out of the box. ;)
Yeah, well, considering the only thing I ever bought from The Sharper Image was a ski rack, I should hope so! The jury's still out on the Golf Rangefinder I got for Christmas, though. Snow has to melt, don't cha know?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts