Yet another..New customer questions (Sling, Google TV questions within!)

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
Ok, so my contract with DirecTV is up in March and I'm looking at my options. I'd really love to fire my old Tivo up, but Charter is the worst cable company on the planet, and DirecTV is cramming more and more ads on their DVRs and they just keep getting slower and slower, so I'm looking at Dish and need some advice.

First, I have three HDTVs. Currently I have one DirecTV HD DVR and two HD boxes with MRV. I also have a Slingbox Pro connected to one of the HD boxes.

Ideally, I really like the 922, but I am really interested in full integration of Google TV, so that would mean dropping down to the 722k. I think that + the Sling Adapter is where I want to go.

Now, first I know that Dish doesn't have MRV right now. I also realize that the Sling Catcher is coming soon. However, I have been thinking about just using some HDMI baluns to get the receiver in my living room back to the bedroom. They're close, so I could use that to get my pay TV and Xbox both in my bedroom for cheap, and that would negate the need for MRV.

My question is, what is the current deal to order a new setup and get a 722k? If you go to Dish's website you get either a 612 or you can pick a 922. If I go through the DishStore link at DISH Network Satellite TV - Home can I get the deal and specify the receiver(s) I want? Can I also bundle up a GoogleTV at the same time?

And lastly, what is everyone's experience with GoogleTV so far with the integration? I know there's a revamp coming, but is it worth it? Should I just skip it and go with a 922 instead? Any insights you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

You can also call Claude at the dishstore and talk to him personally about what you want and he can get the workorder right. He is usually in during the afternoons.

Ok, but can anyone give me opinions on 922 vs. 722, considering that Google TV is important to me and that I'm willing to pay the integration fee. Is there any indication that Google TV integration will be coming to the 922? Any word on how long the Sling receiver is going to take?

You can still use most of Google TV's functions with any of our VIP receivers. For example, having access to Android Marketplace Apps, Set-top box, TV and A/V equipment control with Keyboard Controller, and browsing the internet with Chrome, but we don't have any information on plans for adding the Enhanced DVR Integration Function to the 922 at this moment.

We will keep you posted once we get any new information.

I'm surprised at the lack of announcements from CES this year. I was expecting GoogleTV integration to be announced for the 922, and maybe 3D for the other HD receivers, and maybe even support for the Sling Adapter for more than just the 722/k. I'm personally interested in the Sling Adapter for my two 612's.

Not one of those things happened. :( Edited to add: The Sling Receiver made a very welcome reappearance, though. ;)

The google revue unit worked with my 922 ,when I had it , just like it does with my 722k . I set it up for a 722k and it worked . The only thing you are missing with integration is the queue for your shows and the ability to set recordings from the google unit it self. Now also you can set the fast forward /reverse buttons to do 30 second skip/10 second back ,when you have integration. But you can do all that with your remote control , so I don't see any reason to pay $4.00 a month to do that . But if you have to have it ,then presently the 722k is the only way to get it. Supposedly the 922 will get the integration feature too. But you will pay another $4.00 fee with the 922 included with your dvr fee, for a total of $10.00 if you pick that receiver vs $6.00 for the 722k on the dvr fees.

Well, I think I'm gonna go with a 722k w/ a sling adapter and get the revue and pay the integration fee. I'm ok with the older interface, and if the 922 is going to be $10 anyway, might as well get the integration on google TV

Well, I did it, order placed. What's the chance I'm going to have a problem getting a 722k vs. a 622? I know with DirecTV it's a total crapshoot, but since I plan on doing sling and Google TV, I pretty much have to have a 722k, but the invoice I got said 622/722/722k.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)