0 signal on 1 of 4 lines: cause?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KingsFan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 4, 2005
I just recently did a self install of a new system with a phase 3 dish. I have one R15 hooked to two of the outputs and a D11 hooked to a third. Everything has been working fine for over a week. I went to move the D11 tonight and the 4th line was totally dead, zero signal strength (I get about 85 on the other 3). I verified it was the line by switching it with one of the inputs to the R15 which then also showed 0 signal. I eventually want to add another DVR so I'm going to need all 4 lines.

The dish is mounted on the roof and the weather has recently turned bad so it's going to be difficult to get up there to troubleshoot this. Any ideas? Could it be the cable itself? The built in switch? Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

KingsFan said:
I just recently did a self install of a new system with a phase 3 dish. I have one R15 hooked to two of the outputs and a D11 hooked to a third. Everything has been working fine for over a week. I went to move the D11 tonight and the 4th line was totally dead, zero signal strength (I get about 85 on the other 3). I verified it was the line by switching it with one of the inputs to the R15 which then also showed 0 signal. I eventually want to add another DVR so I'm going to need all 4 lines.

The dish is mounted on the roof and the weather has recently turned bad so it's going to be difficult to get up there to troubleshoot this. Any ideas? Could it be the cable itself? The built in switch? Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
ARe each cable from dish to location are direct run or connected with a barrell ?

Each cable is directly connected to the switch on the LNB. I guess it has to be either a bad cable, a bad connection at the switch or a bad switch?

What would D* charge to come out and look at this? Is it included in their $7.99/mo fee? If I sign up for that and have them come out how long do I have to keep the service?

KingsFan said:
Each cable is directly connected to the switch on the LNB. I guess it has to be either a bad cable, a bad connection at the switch or a bad switch?

What would D* charge to come out and look at this? Is it included in their $7.99/mo fee? If I sign up for that and have them come out how long do I have to keep the service?
In the pass if you signed up for the service you had to wait 30 days before you could use it.

Most probable cause is a short in the cable end (ground braid touching center conductor). Second most probable, staple through cable shorting it out. Probably not the cable unless it was kinked real bad somewhere in the line. Probably not the LNBF, as the other 3 ports work fine.

Al

a staple through the cable or the braid touching the center conductor would typically cause "even/odd" transponders, meaning you would have signal on evens and not on odds, or vice/versa.

no signal on one line would either be a bad connection or the LNBf/multiswitch combo. try hooking the assumed dead line to a known good port on the lnb/switch and see if it works, same with trying a know good line on the assumed bad port on the lnb/switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts