1/11 Retailer Chat Recap

no you'll just be charged $20 for the HD pack

the DishHD packs are just fancy names for those that have an AT pack and the HD pack

Scott Greczkowski said:
Good question, if a customer subscribes to HD locals will they still get the SD locals as well, the answer is YES they will get whatever locals are available to them. In fact if the customer has a mpeg4 receiver and HD locals are in their area they willl get them automatically and for no extra charge.

I have a waiver for my local FOX station and so get that from the National -- Chicago WFLD. If I continue to get that as SD, will I also be able to pick up the HD feed?

perUano said:
I'm confused about the new requirements for DISH HD.
I currently subscribe to Dish Latino Dos and the HD pack + VOOM.
Are you saying that come Feb. 1st I'll HAVE to subscribe to a different pack just so I can still get HD? I dont want any of the americas top ### packages, just Spanish and HD! :confused:

I called AT&T/Dish yesterday and asked the same question. This is what I posted in another thread:

"I also asked about the Latino packages and after looking at the pricing she said that these packages will also be combined with the HD packages. For the Dish Latino Max currently at $66.99 she said there will be a new package called Dish Latino Gold at $74.99. This will include the HD package. That's only a difference of $8.00 so she might not be correct in the pricing but at least now I know they will be combining them with the HD package."

griftnet said:
Problem solved... I can see a bunch of broken receivers in the near future

Ha ha! That might work. Then again, they will have a LOT of refurbs to play with so that may not work......

This makes absolutely no friggin sense. You're allowed one MPEG4 upgrade, but two tuners. So, in my situation having two 811's, I could in theory send in one 811 and replace it with a 211 or a 622 correct. According to the spec sheet in the photo snapped by Scott at the CES the 622 is a dual tuner, but if the specs are correct it'll be useless....check the specs closely, it'll only output HD to 1 SET??? Or am I missing something? So basically I'm left with having to get 2 211's somehow!!!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/61/cat/502/limit/views

Click on the photo of the 622's specs then click again to enlarge.

Last edited:
I have a new customer question. If I sign up, I definitely want the 611. How long am I required to keep the HD package? I'm not sure how much I'll like the HD lite stuff. I definitely want to get the 611 because I can only be a new customer once so I want to get the best I can. I'm just not sure the quality will warrent the cost of satellite HD. Who is eligible for the $200 rebate for in March?

OK, just to summarize.....

We want you to upgrade to Mpeg4 receivers so we offer Mpeg2 channels, but label them Mpeg4 so only the new STBs can see them.

Um, but you can't do it until April 1st if you have an HD PVR and you want credit for that $700-1000 receiver we told you would work just fine for a long time to come.

Oh, ..... and you can only do one at a time, so you high rollers will have to shell out $700 EACH if you want to upgrade NOW.

Oh.... and forget selling your old boxes to help finance the moves because no one but hackers will want to buy them as we won't activate any HD boxes after 2/1 that aren't new Mpeg4 machines.

Did I miss anything?

And Charlie thinks we all will be "happy" with the upgrade offer?

kokomogator said:
My question also!!!
Another thought.....why would they want the old receivers back for trade when they won't activate any new HD content on them?

To keep them out of hackers hands......

Not missing a thing..

Jimmy J said:
This makes absolutely no friggin sense. You're allowed one MPEG4 upgrade, but two tuners. So, in my situation having two 811's, I could in theory send in one 811 and replace it with a 211 or a 622 correct. According to the spec sheet in the photo snapped by Scott at the CES the 622 is a dual tuner, but if the specs are correct it'll be useless....check the specs closely, it'll only output HD to 1 SET??? Or am I missing something?
http://www.satelliteguys.us/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/61/cat/502/limit/views
Click on the photo of the 622's specs then click again to enlarge.
The 622 is a dual (sat) tuner just like the 921 & 942. So you get HD on one set. However, it does have an output for a 2nd TV but it is only a composite output according to all pics I have seen of the back of it. In other words a single 622 will not replace both of your 811s for HD.. Gerry

I'm guessing the end result of all of this is that Dish is looking to streamline to make it easier for them to know who has what. Right now I'm amazed at all of the different configurations that people have. I'm sure they're looking for a way to become more like cable companies where there are only a few receivers out there.

Of course if that is what they want, then they should just do a sweeping upgrade for everyone. All leases get new equipment for free (or low upfront), those who want to own can purchase as well. Then everyone has to upgrade to the new packages.

Of course that just sounds easy to me, what do I know,

ggw2000 said:
The 622 is a dual (sat) tuner just like the 921 & 942. So you get HD on one set. However, it does have an output for a 2nd TV but it is only a composite output according to all pics I have seen of the back of it. In other words a single 622 will not replace both of your 811s for HD.. Gerry

Exactly, so I'm back in the same boat needing 2 211's & only being to upgrade one of them!!!

Scott Greczkowski said:
ExpressVu is a DBS service in Canada which uses the same equipment that Dish Network does.

If Dish took back the 942's and 921's they could change the nameplate to say ExpressVU then send them up to Canada where I am sure ExpressVu would gladly pay $250 each for them to resell them for $499 - $699!

Doing things this way it would actually cost Dish next to nothing to do these MPEG4 upgrades. :)

Ha ha.... I betcha some midlevel executive is running into the upper floor conference room with a printout of this idea right now.......

Lucky said:
HokieEngineer, this is why they should allow a transition period letting us see these channels in MPEG2 for say six months. It is just unfair to force people with multiple boxes to upgrade only one box. They need to let new customers get the MPEG4 boxes first, and let us upgrade later, but we all should be able to see the new channels for a while.

Six months is a bit much. I bet Dish is hoping to have MPEG4 going properly within 30-60 days.

I Could see giving a Free Preview to MPEG2 box owners until the tech chat in March.

David_Levin said:
This is really contradictory with Echostar's desire to ultimately get EVERYTHING switched to MPEG4.
Perhaps there's room for benefit of the doubt there. Maybe they just can't handle the volume of all users switching out all boxes. Once the supply is sufficient maybe they'll open up the upgrade deal for the rest.
Of course, if this was the case it would nice if Dish would just be upfront about it. Get one box to everyone and start a wait-list for extras.
(When Comcast in Denver first got the HD PVR they would only allow each sub to get one box. Within a few months that restriction was lifted.)

It's allocation time just like the XBox360. One to a customer until they feel that supply and demand get closer to equilibrium (wow, dusted off that Economics degree for that word). It's not that bad when you think about it... Which is worse, having an early adopter get 5 and be happy, while 4 others get stuck on a preorder list for months? They just need to explain it better.

All they have to say is this....

"We apologize that this transition to Mpeg4 may be painful to some. Our factories are working around the clock to produce as many boxes as we can but there are 12 million subscribers active with multiple boxes on average per household, and many will be clamoring for new equipment as quickly as possible. We announced the new channels to best market our service to compete with offerings from other providers. At this time we will be limiting PVR upgrade pricing to one per account in an effort to suppress demand until everyone who wants one in their household has a chance to have at least one before we open the program to all HD receivers. We ask for your patience during this difficult time as the inconveniences will be temporary while the improvements will be permanent. The bandwidth savings that we achieve from this systemwide upgrade will enable us to offer more channels at higher quality than we could achieve otherwise. We apologize that we can't satisfy you all today, but for the first time in our history we are attempting a massive upgrade that will eventually affect every household, and for competitive reasons we felt that this was the best time to initiate these changes. Thank you for understanding...."

Is THAT so hard?

Well now I'm really screwed! On top of leasing two 811 and only being to upgrade one of them, I did a point dish check to see where I would have to point an additional dish for 61.5, From my location I'd have to point the second dish due south fo my house....THERE'S A FRIGGIN MOUNTAIN THERE!!! So now I'm completely SOL. The only SATS I'll ever be able to get is 110/119. So, unless any new HD programming is placed on those birds, I'm DONE!!!

how far away is the mountain?

The mountain only comes out of the ground a bit, the satellite is way in the sky.

I've seen dishes peaked in the allyways of 3-4 story apartments so the signal will come down pretty close

Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski
Dish now has over 200 hours of HD a day, which is over 14,000 hours of HD a week.
Originally Posted by pweezil
Hmmm..... They must have weeks that are a lot longer than the customary 7 days that most people have.
BrianMis said:
If you add up all the HD/HD-Lite on all the channels over the course of the entire week. That number makes sense to me.
I'm pretty sure that 200 x 7 = 1400, not 14,000.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)