1.2 geosatpro mast size?

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Ok so I think I’m gonna go ahead and order the 1.2. I’m going to pretend the $165 shipping isn’t shipping and it’s just a $330 antenna. :eek:

I have a pole in the yard already that a superdish used to reside on. Will the 1.2 fit on this pole? See attached...

Attachments

• 2E1D30B8-9272-4410-B69F-046F44EB5F08.jpeg
    2E1D30B8-9272-4410-B69F-046F44EB5F08.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 191
Reactions: cyberham
I believe it's a 2" schedule 40 type pipe you want. It's bigger than the size 100cm and smaller use (1 7/8?). Think the OD is 2 3/8". According to your picture you should be good to go.

Been finding a few 1.2m CM dishes in the back of my truck lately. Many radio/TV services are going IP and discontinuing sat service, so TV/radio stations are getting rid of them. Stop by your favourite radio station and talk to the tech or engineer. Amazing how badly they want to hold onto their C-band dishes though...

Agreed; love my GeoSat 1.2m. Big enough for offset LNB's, too. My dish is focused on 99 with offsets on 95 and 103. Signal levels on the offset 103 are higher than on a dedicated 90cm!

Hey man, some time when you have a chance I'd like to see a photo with closer detail of how you did your multi-lnb setup please.

One more question. So when I had the superdish on this pole it was taller. I cut it down and had a grill on top of it for a while. Attached is a picture of the height. Will this be tall enough for me to put the 1.2 on without it hitting the ground?

Attachments

• IMG_5323.jpeg
    IMG_5323.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 160
Yeah, that's not tall enough.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot, and buy a chainlink fence CORNER post. That's 2-3/8", and perfect for this. You can buy one in various lengths. Even in Florida, I'd bury it at least 3' deep (possible wind load makes this SOP), then 5' minimum height. So, an 8 footer should do fine.

Personally, I'd use a minimum of 3 - 80lb bags of Quikcrete in your hole. Bell out the bottom a little bit, and lay a (leveled) patio paver in the center of the hole for the pole to rest on. Might not be needed since this isn't a BUD, but it can't hurt. That helps keeping it from sinking deeper, if your soil is loose. Also drill a hole through the pole about 1' up, and stick a bolt through it. Once the cement hardens, that keeps the pole from possibly spinning inside the cement.

Trust me, it's MUCH cheaper to go what might seem a bit overboard on the foundation of your dish, than to need to have to go back later and do it all over again properly. Besides, Quikrete is cheap. My 7.5' C-band dish has 980lbs of cement in a 4' hole. Then again, we have heavy winds, and softer sandy loam soil.

Yeah, that's not tall enough.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot, and buy a chainlink fence CORNER post. That's 2-3/8", and perfect for this. You can buy one in various lengths. Even in Florida, I'd bury it at least 3' deep (possible wind load makes this SOP), then 5' minimum height. So, an 8 footer should do fine.

Personally, I'd use a minimum of 3 - 80lb bags of Quikcrete in your hole. Bell out the bottom a little bit, and lay a (leveled) patio paver in the center of the hole for the pole to rest on. Might not be needed since this isn't a BUD, but it can't hurt. That helps keeping it from sinking deeper, if your soil is loose. Also drill a hole through the pole about 1' up, and stick a bolt through it. Once the cement hardens, that keeps the pole from possibly spinning inside the cement.

Trust me, it's MUCH cheaper to go what might seem a bit overboard on the foundation of your dish, than to need to have to go back later and do it all over again properly. Besides, Quikrete is cheap. My 7.5' C-band dish has 980lbs of cement in a 4' hole. Then again, we have heavy winds, and softer sandy loam soil.

Thanks for the info. Ive done this a few times. I just didn't want to do this because the pole was already there and it previously was home to a superdish. I cut it down a while back to mount a charcoal grill there but ended up buying a full size gas grill. Im going to give it a go and if its unmanageably low I'll replace the pole in a better location.

Im going to give it a go and if its unmanageably low I'll replace the pole in a better location.

Or dig a trench for the rim of the dish to clear the ground. Did that a few times at customers homes. The HOAs required that the dish couldn't be seen above the low fence. Years ago when I lived in Oregon, "upgraded" from a 8' to a 10' dish (too short of post) and had to trench on the eastern side of the arc to allow the dish to motor to the satellites near the horizon. Otherwise, the rim contacted the dirt while still 10 degrees above the horizon!

Several years ago I had mentioned rv1pop, who lives in a windy area that that might be an option to dig his dishes below grade to keep them upright in the frequent 80-100mph+ winds from the Columbia River Gorge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)