1/26/05 E* Retailer Chat News Regarding Newly Acquired Frequencies

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Jim Defranco and Amir Ahmed just announced that E* is not planning anything with the newly acquired 11 frequencies from VOOM (Rainbow 1). As expected, they stated that they will have to wait until FCC approval to make any plans.

Update: It was not Charlie Ergen on the Retail chat today.

I'm sure the plans have already been made...just waiting to execute the primary or one of the many contingency plans. Ok, so where the heck does that leave VOOM/US? Will someone turn off the power next week or will we be stuck in limbo over the coming months? Actually, I'm quite happy with the service so limbo is fine with me. Anyway, the bigger questions is will CableVision fund VOOMs continued operation?

riffjim4069 said:
...Anyway, the bigger questions is will CableVision fund VOOMs continued operation?

This is the big issue and one that Charlie can't answer. Where are all the "insiders" from VOOM these days. Someone tell Ilya to hold hostage the "Thank You" posts until someone from VOOM lets us know what's going on!!!

Walter L. said:
I understand that VOOM needs to keep brodcasting during the transition period to keep the FCC licenses.
Agreed. But does that mean CableVision has to provide VOOM with an operating budget? Couldn't VOOM just run its INVOOM loop on every transponder until the sale is finalized? If it is CableVisions desire to sell the remaining Rainbow Media/DBS assets, wouldn't they place an immediate halt to new customer installations since it costs big $$$ for equipment, installation and support?

I sure hope VOOM makes an official statement soon...

Just had my Voom dish upgrade today. (to the larger one).

Installer said that Dishnetwork was keeping all Voom channels, plus adding HD locals. He said they would be calling all Voom customers with an offer to keep them, and that they would be getting the Superdish.
(I thought the Superdish was dead?)

Could just be babble, but I hope not.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Charlie Ergen did not announce anything (Charlie was not on the Chat today) It was Jim Defranco and Amir Ahmed. :)
Good to finally hear from you again Scott. Any other news/rumors you want to add? In quiring minds want to know...

klen said:

Installer said that Dishnetwork was keeping all Voom channels, plus adding HD locals. He said they would be calling all Voom customers with an offer to keep them, and that they would be getting the Superdish.

This might be just a rumor the installer heard. Hopefully Voom is going to be sending out letters to its existing customers.

As for the superdish, I know Voom was looking at using an ellipitcal dish to reeive signals from both of their satellites, which never happened. Maybe E* is looking at using the same type of dish that Voom was looking at using. Just have to wait and see.

It could be that the sale of the satellite/TP/uplink center was done to satisfy requirements of the CVC board, and now Dish/VOOM are negotiating what happens from here on out.

If lets say the VOOM channels were offered as a package on Dish, and VOOM people went to a 2 dish solution (one for Dish500, or perhaps superdish 105, and one for 61.5/73?). West coast people could be mirrored on 148.

Dropping the VOOM standard definition channels would free up space on Rainbow-1 for spot beam use.

I bet VOOM could get a lot more customers by being an option on Dishnetwork without the massive expense of running a DBS company.

klen said:

My experience with installers is that they are worse than unknowledgeable, they spread completely false information. For instance, I had an installer at my house recently (that Voom sent) who was telling me that every single channel, over the air, via cable or via satellite was required to be in high definition no later than next year. I explained that there was no requirement for any channel to be in high definition, what is was thinking of was the requirement for OTA channels to switch to digital transmission, but they didn't have to transmit HD, and it had nothing to do with cable or satellite, but he still insisted he was right. I take what installers say with less than a grain of salt from my experience.

Sean Mota said:
Jim Defranco and Amir Ahmed just announced that E* is not planning anything with the newly acquired 11 frequencies from VOOM (Rainbow 1). As expected, he stated that he will have to wait until FCC approval to make any plans.

Update: It was not Charlie Ergen on the Retail chat today.

$200M; but we don't know why! UFB!

clapple said:
$200M; but we don't know why! UFB!

Sure they know why, but until the deal is done why show their hand or make announcements that might come back to bite them in the ass. Even if Rainbow 1 just ends up replacing E* III the $200M price tag was a bargain.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Sure they know why, but until the deal is done why show their hand or make announcements that might come back to bite them in the ass. Even if Rainbow 1 just ends up replacing E* III the $200M price tag was a bargain.

NightRyder
Remember how excited everyone got when E* and D* were going to merge, and all the plans that went down the sink...

dfergie said:
Remember how excited everyone got when E* and D* were going to merge, and all the plans that went down the sink...

Actually I think toilet was the proper disposal.

Wow what a let down. Zero info. We are still in Limbo. V* at least needs to put something in writing now that E* has announced it is in the process of buying Voom. Not to do so is inexcusable.

vurbano said:
Wow what a let down. Zero info. We are still in Limbo. V* at least needs to put something in writing now that E* has announced it is in the process of buying Voom. Not to do so is inexcusable.
I agree. We need an official statement from CVC/VOOM not later than the end of this week.

vurbano said:

E* didn't buy V*. They bought the Rainbow 1 satellite, licenses and an up-link site, pending FCC approval.

You are right, Cablevision needs to let V* customer's know what their plans are.

NightRyder

It might well be premature. Remember DISH is NOT buying VOOM. They are buyinng certain assets---that is what prompted the 8K. But that has to receive certain approvals and it would also seem pretty clear that the CVC board is not exactly united on all this.

I would not expect anything official for awhile. As for DISH it might also be a bit much to expect them to announce palns for the bandwidth and then have to scurry id the purchase of the assets is not approved.

I want to know too. What if they pull the plug just before the Super Bowl, only the biggest TV watching day of the year, with no time to switch to another provider? If the OTA's die with the box, there are going to be some very unhappy campers out in Voomland.

I hate uncertainty. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts