1/26/05 E* Retailer Chat News Regarding Newly Acquired Frequencies

Dim side: We will get Dish Network's crappy, overcompressed SD channels. :no

That's OK with me since I don't watch SD, but I feel sorry for those of you that do. MOST of Voom's SD channels were pretty good (at least the few that I actually looked at).[/QUOTE]

I agreed about the SD until I got my 921. I can run my 921 side by side with my Voom and the Dish SD is as good or better on my set. Although I am not on a big plasma.
Just my two cents.!

They both use 8PSk. The difference is between encryption. Digicihper 2 vs Nagravision

BFG said:
They both use 8PSk. The difference is between encryption. Digicihper 2 vs Nagravision
From what I read on LyngSat, Dish uses 8PSK on transponders carrying HD only, whereas Voom uses 8PSK for everything. DISH uses QPSK on their transponders carrying SD.

But yes, the big deal is the encryption: VOOM uses TWO standards: Motorola's DigiCipher II and the NDS Videoguard system. DigiCipher II uses no access cards, whereas NDS Videoguard uses the card in the front slot of your STB.

DISH uses open-standard DVB compression, but with a different card-based system called NagraVision.

Interestingly, Motorola does make a set top box that supports DVB-complaint streams with any type of card-based encryption...and the box uses the same cabinet as our Voom boxes:
http://broadband.motorola.com/catalog/productdetail.asp?ProductID=383

But honestly, I think it's cheaper for DISH to just discontinue the Voom data stream on those 11 transponders and just start broadcasting DISH content. SOOO much simpler and cheaper for them!

:cool:
Geronimo said:
It might well be premature. Remember DISH is NOT buying VOOM. They are buyinng certain assets---.

Yes that is correct Dish is not buying Voom or its customer list. :cool:

:shocked And just in case no one knows it. Voom does not need that satellite to stay in operation. The voom receiver is a DC2 receiver that is compatable with the Motorola Headend In the Sky [HITS] service on KU band. A new larger dish would be required.

HITS is a little know service that lets cable companies install DBS systems. As far as I know it does not have HD channels yet.

thxdan said:
From what I read on LyngSat, Dish uses 8PSK on transponders carrying HD only, whereas Voom uses 8PSK for everything. DISH uses QPSK on their transponders carrying SD.

But yes, the big deal is the encryption: VOOM uses TWO standards: Motorola's DigiCipher II and the NDS Videoguard system. DigiCipher II uses no access cards, whereas NDS Videoguard uses the card in the front slot of your STB.

DISH uses open-standard DVB compression, but with a different card-based system called NagraVision.

Interestingly, Motorola does make a set top box that supports DVB-complaint streams with any type of card-based encryption...and the box uses the same cabinet as our Voom boxes:
http://broadband.motorola.com/catalog/productdetail.asp?ProductID=383

But honestly, I think it's cheaper for DISH to just discontinue the Voom data stream on those 11 transponders and just start broadcasting DISH content. SOOO much simpler and cheaper for them!

The Voom box is made and supported by Motorola. The software updates you are getting are done by Motorola.

If Dish has a desire, I'm assuming they could upgrade the firmware, perhaps have to use the cardslot, but they could convert the box to decode E*. But then you'd have the Voom label on the box and I'm sure CVC would wish to be compensated for that. :)

Other than possibly an elevation change, the dish is pointed to pick up E* programming on their existing 61.5 bird(not sure what is there today, used to be HD content).

Maybe Dolan Sr. is working the background channels to lease some of that bandwidth. E* will be hard pressed to use it all due to the satellite location. So he walks into the BOD meeting with a proposal to buy the remaining Voom assets, cuts a deal with E* to lease back some broadcast space and Va-Va-Voom, he's got his wishes.

There's my wild-ass speculation post of the day ;)

BFG said:

Voom uses the DC2 format but not the DC2 encryption. They use a NDS card for encryption. DC2 encryption systems do not use a card.

On the back of the receiver and onscreen you will see the UA# or DC2 Unit ID#. When using DC2 encryption like on (CBAND 4dtv) and (HITS)KU they need this # to activate the box. But when activating a Voom receiver this UA# is not used instead they use the card# from the NDS card.

HITS is owned by Comcast. I doubt they would be happy to have another provider out there in competition with them.
HITS is for cable companies and in somecases provides supplimental programming for the CBand customers.
Comcast will not help start another national company that would be in direct competition from thier core buisness which is cable tv.

It is only my opinion, so don't flame me guys. But I have been a BUD owner for over 20 years and now a pizza dish user as well with VOOM. Cable is an old technology and requires too much maintenance. Even with Fiber, it is an expensive propositon to get all the channels and fiber strung. I will not have cable in my house again the way it looks from Adelphia.

rtt2 said:
HITS is owned by Comcast. I doubt they would be happy to have another provider out there in competition with them.
HITS is for cable companies and in somecases provides supplimental programming for the CBand customers.
Comcast will not help start another national company that would be in direct competition from thier core buisness which is cable tv.
But they may allow Voom content on the service so they can sell it as part of HITS to cable companies and use it on Comcast systems.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)