Charles Dolan E-mail Response (4/4/05)

LonghornXP said:
voomworker1 said:
I say your wrong because Verizon FTTP has more bandwidth than both cable and satellite. The FTTP rollouts cost money (about 1 to 1.5 grand per customer) which includes customers getting fiber to their house itself while using existing phone lines inside the house and using existing coax cables in the house for TV service. Unlike cable Verizon will not have every channel they offer going down the same cable. Verizon will be using a form of IPTV and QAM mix so that channels will be broadcast using QAM over their network but it would also use IPTV in that only one channel would be sent over the cable at a time and that is the channel that is tuned. Because only one channel will be piped down per room versus hundreds that means that Verizon can offer every channel available anywhere as long as they have enough encoders and satellites to receive the content. Now last time I checked its much harder to increase bandwidth than it is to get more encoders. They as in Verizon also don't have to over compress everything to add more channels because they still will only use the same amount of bandwidth per room no matter how many channels they offer.

How can you have more bandwidth than satellite? Fiber has a lot of bandwidth but a piece of copper has a limited amount bandwidth, no matter what you do it has its limits. There is nothing you can do, why do you think all they use Fiber now? Satellite is the way to go, everything will be wireless. Using a "cable" has its limits, thats all i'm saying.

voomworker1 said:
LonghornXP said:
How can you have more bandwidth than satellite? Fiber has a lot of bandwidth but a piece of copper has a limited amount bandwidth, no matter what you do it has its limits. There is nothing you can do, why do you think all they use Fiber now? Satellite is the way to go, everything will be wireless. Using a "cable" has its limits, thats all i'm saying.
Think of a satellite transponder as a cable spigot. There's only so many bits per second that you can spit out of a transponder.

LonghornXP said:
voomworker1 said:
I say your wrong because Verizon FTTP has more bandwidth than both cable and satellite. The FTTP rollouts cost money (about 1 to 1.5 grand per customer) which includes customers getting fiber to their house itself while using existing phone lines inside the house and using existing coax cables in the house for TV service. Unlike cable Verizon will not have every channel they offer going down the same cable. Verizon will be using a form of IPTV and QAM mix so that channels will be broadcast using QAM over their network but it would also use IPTV in that only one channel would be sent over the cable at a time and that is the channel that is tuned. Because only one channel will be piped down per room versus hundreds that means that Verizon can offer every channel available anywhere as long as they have enough encoders and satellites to receive the content. Now last time I checked its much harder to increase bandwidth than it is to get more encoders. They as in Verizon also don't have to over compress everything to add more channels because they still will only use the same amount of bandwidth per room no matter how many channels they offer.

So basically take the fiber cable input, to a receiver and only send the channel selected over coax to the room/TV. Works for me.

MarcelV said:
Syndicating it to Cablevision perhaps......

That's sux because CV has a silent monopoly with TWC here, in Park Slope area of Brooklyn: when you check online, CV covers this area, even if you called them but when I give my specific address, they send me to sux TWC... I checked it when first Voom doom news emerged.

Tvlman said:
The idea that Charles Dolan is going to go with is VOOM21.....the 21 VOOM HD channels that would be a welcome addition to any cable company or satellite company. Instant HD to the tune of 21 channels. HOw it is going to be distributed is anyone's guess. Satellites aren't forever. Already optical fibers make it possible to distribute HDTV through existing phone lines.

Maybe at some point those video phones will make it, then. The problem with them has always been the slow picture updates.

There is a HUGE problem with cable, the overall bandwidth isn't capable of holding that many HD channels. .[/QUOTE]

I don't get it. Isn't the line from the satellite dish to my VOOM box the same line as a cable company uses? Do you envision a "smart dish" that converts the satellite signal to an optical signal with no copper wire involved? Don't electrons move through copper wire at the same speed that light moves through an optical cable? So where is the bandwith difference? I thought the limiting factor was the amount of information that could be sent wirelessly from the satellite to the dish with the error correction needed. If there was no limit then why do they need to compress the signal at all?

jnardone said:
I don't get it. Isn't the line from the satellite dish to my VOOM box the same line as a cable company uses? Do you envision a "smart dish" that converts the satellite signal to an optical signal with no copper wire involved? Don't electrons move through copper wire at the same speed that light moves through an optical cable? So where is the bandwith difference? I thought the limiting factor was the amount of information that could be sent wirelessly from the satellite to the dish with the error correction needed. If there was no limit then why do they need to compress the signal at all?

I can't speak for the OP, but perhaps they realize that each satellite has a limitation, but that with multiple satellites one can vastly increase throughput. Obviously there are limits depending on a number of factors (number of orbital locations, how many dishes and of what size a customer is willing to have on their house), but satellite has huge potential.

Frankly this all seems like one of those "nobody will ever need more than 640kb of RAM" arguments. It is hard for us to imagine what future band-width requirements will be. In the future there will no doubt be high demand for more and more data throughput. Higher resolution audio/video feeds, programming on demand, high-resolution video-phone, who knows what else!

All of the solutions have many problems (the incremental cost per customer is high for laying fiber to the house, the cost of launching new satellites is extremely high but each one can potentially service lots of customers at once) and I'm sure we'll see many different possibilities simultaneously available as big companies (currently phone, satellite, cable, possibly wireless) all push towards the same market.

CDH.

I am not vouching that the e-mail post is authentic or fraud, but the To: and From: names are in quotes, that indicates to me that this is how the names are entered in the posters Address Book for the actual e-mail addresses. So the From and To lines, IMO, do not indicate if this is real or fake.

The signal is running through the dialectric not the copper. The copper wire in the middle of the coaxial is running power. The signal actually runs between the braid and the copper wire. That white foam stuff is where the signal rides..
I'm sure there are some techies around this forum that could weigh the benefits of fibre optic versus rg6...

kfried001 said:
You don't need the bandwidth for 21 channels
Cinema 10 becomes cinema 5/w monsters ( 5 channels)
Worldsport + Rush (1 Channel)
Rave (1 Channel)
Gallery+Auction (1 Channel)
Ultra+Equator (1 Chanel)
Drop the rest. 9 channels.

If E* buys it then they should add StarzHD,CinemaxHD,TMCHD,UHD,INHD1,INHD2

15 channels will give D* a run for it's money. Just a thought.

drop Kung Fu HD?!!!!!! never!!! that is the only reason I am signing up with Voom

Voom has the ONLY all martial Arts channel, in hd no less. You should wash your mouth out with soap for such a ebil idea as getting rid of KungFU channel (does a dbl roundhouse kick to someones behind). Why not get rid of Worldsport + Rush (1 Channel) instead...we have enough Sports stuff already
:D

Scott Greczkowski said:
I do however know that Mr Dolan has something he is working on that will insure VOOM lives on. :)

WOW....I've met bar flys that are less of a tease. Give up son! :yes

Just playing with ya Scott! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)