1.2Gbps Internet Satellite in Japan

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah, and you know most folks in South Korea have access to the fastest internet available.

Pre-DOCSIS 3.0 rollout in South Korea hits 100Mbps

Noticed the last paragraph:

ABI Research estimates that just shy of 40 percent of cable customers (here in the US) will have DOCSIS 3.0 equipment in their homes by 2011, which means that those 100Mbps connections are still a ways off in North America.

I think there will be a market for HDM on disc for the next 5 to 10 years -- plenty of time for those of us who do not want to wait 10 years to enjoy HDM on BD right now.

AllieVi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 11, 2003
Temecula, CA (area)
The article states gigabytes per second. They probably mean gigabits per second.

In either case, it’s a spectacular speed, particularly for a satellite link.

Bountykiller

Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 22, 2004
That is just crazy talk those speeds... it must be Ka based with some serious compression...

nonrev

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 2, 2007
NJ
Yeah, and you know most folks in South Korea have access to the fastest internet available.

Pre-DOCSIS 3.0 rollout in South Korea hits 100Mbps

Noticed the last paragraph:

ABI Research estimates that just shy of 40 percent of cable customers (here in the US) will have DOCSIS 3.0 equipment in their homes by 2011, which means that those 100Mbps connections are still a ways off in North America.

I think there will be a market for HDM on disc for the next 5 to 10 years -- plenty of time for those of us who do not want to wait 10 years to enjoy HDM on BD right now.
How did you get 10 years from the ABI Research estimate? Very defensive???

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 16, 2007
Actually, they don't. By a mile. As discussed just recently, Japan holds the leadership here and even France beats Korea:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-dvd-...-much-fiber-optic-line-into-each-us-home.html

dlspeed.jpg

Also, what is the point in referencing a 15 months old article anyway? Especially, since they talk about landline speed where the original post was about satellite?
But I'm positively surprised that you read something outside Blu Shill Bill's preachings. Keep it up, Joe! :)

A valid point can be made that satellite internet is not exactly suited for packetized two way communication (what TCP/IP is).
Therefore, it won't be very effective for browsing and posting on SatelliteGuys.us but would be just perfect for BitTorrent... and VOD.:)

Diogen.

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
Actually, they don't. By a mile. As discussed just recently, Japan holds the leadership here and even France beats Korea:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-dvd-...-much-fiber-optic-line-into-each-us-home.html

dlspeed.jpg

Also, what is the point in referencing a 15 months old article anyway? Especially, since they talk about landline speed where the original post was about satellite?
But I'm positively surprised that you read something outside Blu Shill Bill's preachings. Keep it up, Joe! :)

A valid point can be made that satellite internet is not exactly suited for packetized two way communication (what TCP/IP is).
Therefore, it won't be very effective for browsing and posting on SatelliteGuys.us but would be just perfect for BitTorrent... and VOD.:)

Diogen.

Mind you there's a big difference between advertised speeds and actually speeds. Especially with my cable company. I'm currently subscribed to the "Preferred" level of service of 7 Mb/s (Premier offer 15 Mb/s), which also gives me a "Powerboost" for downloading large files. However, when I check my speed using an online bandwidth meter, the speed averages around 2.4 Mb/s.

The cable and phone companies will never give away increases in speed without major competition as all minor increases seem to be accompanied by an increase in rates.

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 16, 2007
...when I check my speed using an online bandwidth meter, the speed averages around 2.4 Mb/s.
Try to download a large file from a place not severely limited in bandwidth - I normally try XP SP2 from MS' site.
Don't be surprised if they differ significantly with the "online bandwidth meter" results...
The cable and phone companies will never give away increases in speed without major competition as all minor increases seem to be accompanied by an increase in rates.
I was one of the first in our neck of the woods to get fast internet from the local cableco in 1999: 512 kbps for $40/month (until then it was 56 kbps for $25).
I pay $5 less for ten times as much today, 8.5 years later. I can get another double for 50% more in $$$.

Diogen.

MW390

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 16, 2005
Try looking at political blogs and read about Internet Network Neutrality. The ISPs don't want it because they figure they can get companies to pay out big bucks to ensure their packets destined for them get there faster than some poor schmuck who doesn't pay. Also, I know of people having their accounts cancelled because they "download too much".
So....still think you're gonna get movie downloads? Same thing with cell phones. They have ONE system in Europe whereas there are a set of towers for each provider. Talk about format wars. Why aren't people bitching about this?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 16, 2007
....still think you're gonna get movie downloads?
I think this is inevitable. The only open question remaining, how long this will take.
If this Japanese 1.2Gbps satellite project is a success, it will be copied in a very short time.
The US economy can be very efficient when their pride is affected: remember the space race of the 50s-60s?
The internet was essentially invented in the US (just read Al Gore...:)) and now even the much despised French are 5 times better at it...
Same thing with cell phones. They have ONE system in Europe whereas there are a set of towers for each provider.
Talk about format wars. Why aren't people bitching about this?
What good will it do? :)

Diogen.

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
I think this is inevitable. The only open question remaining, how long this will take.
If this Japanese 1.2Gbps satellite project is a success, it will be copied in a very short time.
The US economy can be very efficient when their pride is affected: remember the space race of the 50s-60s?

It wasn't just pride. They were genuinely worried that the Soviets would drop nuclear payloads, etc. from space onto the US.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Errr- actually, that was the prime driving force. Ballistic missiles travel thru space. Or did I miss humor in your response?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 16, 2007
IIRC, somewhere between Solzhenitsyn managing to get out of Soviet Union alive and America falling out of love with him after his Harvard speech,
there was a poll in US schools: high school students were asked what role USA played in the Second World War. I don't remember the exact number,
but more than half answered: "US fought the Soviets and won". :)

The most efficient industry that doesn't know recessions in the US is brainwashing.

Precise enough bombing from space wasn't possible even at the time of the famous Reagan's "Star Wars" speech, let alone 25 years earlier...

But nothing unites a nation better than a common enemy...:)

Diogen.

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
How did you get 10 years from the ABI Research estimate? Very defensive???

If they are talking about 3 years for 40% of households to get 3.0 and the much faster downloads speeds that still means that 60% of us will still be poking around. It took 10 years for both the phone company and cable to bring dsl and cable to where I live. If you draw a 2 mile circle around my house you will have over 2000 homes. I currently have 1.5DSL and no cable -- Cable is though less then a mile away is still 2 to 3 years off according to the cable company. Getting a faster DSL to 3.0 is supposed to be next year. I don't see the infrastructure changing that fast outside of the major cities. That 60% will be a very large market for HDM on BD. The 10 year estimate is based on the way cable and DSL has expanded in the market. The estimate by ABI was very conservative and I think it will be longer then 2011 before we see 40% of households with a download speed that will enable them to download full 1080p and a lossless codec that doesn't take hours or even days.

Look at how long D* and E* have been promising not only new HD but new Sats in the sky and they are just now getting to it. It has been over 5 years!

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Precise enough bombing from space wasn't possible even at the time of the famous Reagan's "Star Wars" speech, let alone 25 years earlier...

Ballistic missiles carry warheads referred to as "re entry bodies" because they re enter the atmosphere. ICBMs travel so far because they leave the atmosphere and have no air resistance. Space begins, nominally, at 62 miles or 100 km. Even the German WWII V-2 rocket came close to that height (Wiki claims 55 mile altitude) during the war, and later post war versions reached at least 65 miles in 1946.

So yes, bombing from space has been an actual threat since 1959, when both the Soviet Union and the United States deployed ICBMs. And with the size of the nuclear payloads back then, they were more than "precise enough." That was instantly realized when Sputnik went up in 1957.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)