1.2m (4ft) dish for $148 shipped

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTA4PA

Satellite Guys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 13, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
I've seen this 1.2 meter listed on eBay for a while now. It's $148 (shipping included) from China. I don't need a four footer myself but the price may be right for someone else so I thought it was worth posting. Best price I've seen in the U.S. is around $275 shipped. Obviously it's still best to acquire a used one locally if possible but it is an option. Seller has 100% positive feedback and there are some reviews for it. Three are positive, one is neutral for loose items in the box that damaged the dish in transit. It's not a polar mount but if you're handy you could make one for it. Currently 6 available. If interested better get it before the steel tariffs go into effect. ;)

C Band 120cm (4 feet) Prime focus dish antenna /satellite dish | eBay

Reactions: wvman and olliec420
Interesting that they advertise it as a C-Band dish... And I notice that it's made of 6 petals, probably not ideal for Ku reception as that could affect the accuracy of the reflector (maybe that's why they advertise it as C-Band?). But the price is definitely attractive.

Reactions: Lone Gunman
Same thing as those $69 specials from a few years ago. The one I had is long gone. They will rust and rot through in a year.
I have heard of people that coated them in that spray truck bed liner and similar things. Extremely flimsy too.
Agreed not a good choice for Ku, and not much better for C in NA.

Here is some more info. The company that sells it is Sea Fortune International Limited. They say the dish is by Jonsa and it is galvanized steel coated with a polyester powder coating. Claims to be 15 years rust free. As I said just throwing it out there for those who may not have options locally or the cash for a more expensive dish from the US. I have no experience with it myself. Here is the web page for the dish on the company site.

http://www.hddna.net/productshow.asp?id=843

Jonsa was the OEM manufacturer of the FortecStar dishes through 2008 and and for some of the WSI dishes. Jonsa manufactures both quality and cheap models. The missing information for this model is the panel thickness, efficiency/accuracy and if galvanized steel under the poly coat.

The tariff should not affect finished imported products, but I am sure there will be repercussions....

The missing information for this model is the panel thickness, efficiency/accuracy and if galvanized steel under the poly coat.
The link I posted above does state they are galvanized steel. It gives an efficiency of 70% or greater (don't know if that is good or not?). It does not state the panel thickness.

I just sent the seller a question regarding panel thickness.
The seller replied back and said the panel thickness is .4mm. By comparison a GeosatPro 90cm dish, which is highly recommended on Satellite Guys, is .7mm thick so it seems pretty thin for a 1.2m dish? o_O

How does one go about installing a dish with one of these circular mounts anyway? I've been tempted at times to buy a 6-footer for C-band experiments, but the only thing I could think of would be strapping it to a pallet with lots of cinder blocks, and I'm thinking that it would take a lot of cinder blocks, plus eventually the pallet would rot or the straps would rust out. I don't have any concrete surfaces I could bolt it down to, nor do I have the tools to do so if I would.

How does one go about installing a dish with one of these circular mounts anyway? I've been tempted at times to buy a 6-footer for C-band experiments, but the only thing I could think of would be strapping it to a pallet with lots of cinder blocks, and I'm thinking that it would take a lot of cinder blocks, plus eventually the pallet would rot or the straps would rust out. I don't have any concrete surfaces I could bolt it down to, nor do I have the tools to do so if I would.
Never used that style myself, always put my dishes on a pole with either a polar or stationary mount. I have seen pictures of them fastened to decks or porches. One could also construct a mounting platform from pressure treated wood and fasten it to that (weighing it down of course). Other than that the only way I see would be as you mentioned a flat surface like a pallet or the ground with a lot of weight or by pouring a small concrete pad at a location on your property that has a good view of the arc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts