1/9 Charlie Chat Recap

How will the upgrade to mpeg4 affect those of us who subscribe via SBC (now AT&T)? Since I'm not currently an HD subscriber, I shouldn't yet have to worry about an upgrade path to mpeg4, or should I? :confused:

"Since I'm not currently an HD subscriber, I shouldn't yet have to worry about an upgrade path to mpeg4, or should I?"

Correct. E* is upgrading the HD receivers to MPEG4 first. Eventually, they will upgrade the SD receivers to MPEG4 but that will take a few more years IMO.

As for being an SBC customer, I spoke to a CSR on Tuesday and she was well informed about the new channels, the new HD packages and the new MPEG4 receivers. However, she didn't know any details about the equipment upgrade yet. She suggested I call back around Feb. 1st.

Hope that helps.

Another way of looking at it is when it comes time to upgrade the SD receivers to MPEG-4, how much will the MPEG-2 receivers be worth then? Maybe they will give those that did not upgrade by that time a better deal.

Stargazer said:
Another way of looking at it is when it comes time to upgrade the SD receivers to MPEG-4, how much will the MPEG-2 receivers be worth then? Maybe they will give those that did not upgrade by that time a better deal.

It seems that when dealing with Satellite companies the ones who jump on the wagon first get the worse deal. I was told by my installer that if you wait long enough you usually get a better deal. He told me to steer clear of the 942 for $250 because he didn't think it'd be worth it. This was a month ago, and I'm glad now that I didn't shell out the money.

I keep hearing the upgrade from 811 to 211 is free, then its $49.. Which is it? what if you would have a leased 811, and want a 211, is that the $49? Or is that free? I didnt get to see the chat.. I was working. Does anyone have it up for download at all?

Somewhere in all of this it was noted that Charlie wanted feedback, perhaps via email, on what the subscribers thought of the upgrade path. Just what email address is it to which we should direct our emailed comments?

Vip 211 Upgrade

Just Spoke To Dish. The Vip 211 Is Available For A 50.00 Upgrade Fee Plus 5.00 Per Mo For Existing Customers. The 622 Is Not Available At This Time. The 942 Is No Longer In Stock - She Suggested That I Go To My Local Dish Retailer If I Want The 942 (i Am Thinking Lower Upgrade Cost When The 611 Is Avialable If You Already Own Or Lease The 942). So ... If I Upgrade I Loose Dvr Capability Until The 622 Is Available And Get Hd Lite In The Process. There Are Going To Be Some Serious Bumps In The Road That Dish Has Taken With This. However, Comcast In My Area Wants 100.00 Per Month For A Fraction Of The Hd Lite Programming I Can Get With Dish. I Will No Longer Call It Hd Programming - Because It Is Hd Lite, There Is A Difference, And Dish Needs To Be Aware That Their Customers Are Aware Of It. Spread The Word.

Seadoo said:
Did anyone notice the HD programming price is now $19.99 versus the $9.99 advertised. HOw does that work. Is there a basic HD $9.99 PAK that you add $10 to get Voom and the other new HD programs and in future will there be even more for local HDS?

$10 (old HD Pak) + $5 10 Voom Channels + $5 5 More Voom Channels, ESPN2 HD, Universal HD, and Food Network HD and HGTV HD (coming soon).

Damn good deal to me. I remember when we paid $8 for Discovery HD ALONE.

I think the 622 is going to be the hardest box to get. Also the buggiest for obvious reasons...

If you're not a current HD subscriber, you shouldn't have too much trouble upgrading to a 211 if you wanted to, probably a 222 in a few months. No chance of a 622 this year though...

The upgrade from 811 is a $49 installation fee...c'mon, everybody knows that. i know there's a ton of posts but that should not be a question we're asking on page 20, seriously...

Man my prices on my AT120 are going up to way more than I want to pay cable isn't much more than it now and they keep adding channels somone would want to watch. If it wasn't for the crappy quality I might switch back. This is unacceptable to keep removing channels so they won't have to raise our rates then rasing them anyway without adding any new channels. Well they add internation channels that not many people want to watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)