will 622 require two lines?

shelly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Wow! I have been away from the forum for about a month or so and there are changes galore.

I still use the 6000 receiver for just the HD and Voom paks from Dish.

I thought that I would just upgrade to the 211 but now, after living with 2 HD dvr's from Comcast, I would probably want to upgrade to the 622 hd dvr.

Will I need an additional coax line in for the 622 or will my current single line be enough? My Comcast dvr is a two tuner model that requires just a single coax line in.

Thanks.

Shelly

Lines

shelly said:
Wow! I have been away from the forum for about a month or so and there are changes galore.
I thought that I would just upgrade to the 211 but now, after living with 2 HD dvr's from Comcast, I would probably want to upgrade to the 622 hd dvr.
Will I need an additional coax line in for the 622 or will my current single line be enough? My Comcast dvr is a two tuner model that requires just a single coax line in.
Thanks.
Shelly
It will require 2 identical inputs to the receiver (just like 921/942)... Gerry

I am not very tech savvy so could use some info. I have a Pany 42px50u plasma with one HDMI input. I currently have a 811. Can I switch to the 622 and still use the one HDMI input on the Pany? If not will I have to get a splitter or a newer audio receiver with 2 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out? I might have to do this anyway to use a newer DVD player with HDMI. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

lrossnm said:
I am not very tech savvy so could use some info. I have a Pany 42px50u plasma with one HDMI input. I currently have a 811. Can I switch to the 622 and still use the one HDMI input on the Pany? If not will I have to get a splitter or a newer audio receiver with 2 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out? I might have to do this anyway to use a newer DVD player with HDMI. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The 622 only has one HDMI, so that goes to your Pany. To use another HD device, it would have to be connected to the 622's component (YPrPb) outputs. I'm not sure that both HDMI and component are active at the same time on the 622. They are on the 811.

If you replace the 811 with a 622, you'll need another cable in from the satellite so that both tuners on the 622 have an input.

shelly said:
Thanks.
Shelly

If you have a DPP 44+, with a DPP Separator or the appropriate LNB's (which you probably have with a recent install) a DPP Separator that should come with a Dual Tuner model will allow one cable to feed both tuners. You would need a DPP 44+ switch if you were trying to connect perhaps more than two recievers..

Thanks Norman- Another question re DPP44:

If you use this switch configuration to permit a single coax to feed a dual-input DVR, can you also diplex an OTA antenna feed on the same single coax line?

noremac said:
Thanks Norman- Another question re DPP44:
If you use this switch configuration to permit a single coax to feed a dual-input DVR, can you also diplex an OTA antenna feed on the same single coax line?
Yes you can diplex an OTA feed on the same line.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have a very old install using sw-21 switches to combine the outputs of two sat dishes. I have one line in one room to my 6000 receiver (I told you that this was an older installation) and another unused line in a different room.

I could extend the unused line and run it within my house into the room the 622 would be in.

But are you saying that with a DPP Separator (possibly included with the 622, I could use one existing line from my sw-21 and this switch would provide the two lines needed for tthe dual tuner hd dvr?

Shelly

shelly said:
Thanks for all the feedback.
I have a very old install using sw-21 switches to combine the outputs of two sat dishes. I have one line in one room to my 6000 receiver (I told you that this was an older installation) and another unused line in a different room.
I could extend the unused line and run it within my house into the room the 622 would be in.
But are you saying that with a DPP Separator (possibly included with the 622, I could use one existing line from my sw-21 and this switch would provide the two lines needed for tthe dual tuner hd dvr?
Shelly

Shelly, the DPP separator will only work with Dish Pro Switches and LNB's. If you still have SW21's installed, it sounds like you have legacy LNB's and a separator will not work with legacy gear. The separator allows you to use one cable to feed a two tuner receiver, but all has to be Dish Pro.

thanks for the heads up. It looks like I would have to just extend one of my coax cables another 40'-50' through my house to get both outputs to the 622.

Or I might consider having my wife sign up and get all new Pro dishes, unless there is minimum programming committment. I just want the HD/Voom pak as I really like the hd picture and channels I get with Comcast cable ($10/month hd dvr rental, no other money up front).

Glad to have this forum to keep my info updated.

Shelly

shelly said:
thanks for the heads up. It looks like I would have to just extend one of my coax cables another 40'-50' through my house to get both outputs to the 622.
Or I might consider having my wife sign up and get all new Pro dishes, unless there is minimum programming committment. I just want the HD/Voom pak as I really like the hd picture and channels I get with Comcast cable ($10/month hd dvr rental, no other money up front). Glad to have this forum to keep my info updated.
Shelly

Extending your cables if you have the connections is always an option. however you can look around on Ebay and get equipment at some pretty good prices, or check places like DishDepot or Dishstore and add up what you might need to upgrade to Dish Pro gear to setup your 622 and any other newer gear you might get without legacy equipment perhaps causing you issues down the road.

Norm,

Thanks for the advice. I guess Charlie hasn't found out yet that new receivers will work with Legacy dishes/lnbs or he might change things to get more revenue.

Running the extra cable is actually the easiest solution for me at this time. NOw, hopefully I can exchange my 6000 for the 622 for a small fee in the near future.

Shelly

I think some of the 622 deals do include some Dish upgrades, you'll have to check when you move to get your 622. It all depends on your setup's complexity as to whether it can be easily done or requires more than the deal may provide.

yes, the deals do include "professional installation" even for EXISTING subscribers. So, they will come and put in the DPP dish equipment. They honestly don't want those older antennas and switches out there anymore.

iKramerica said:
yes, the deals do include "professional installation" even for EXISTING subscribers. So, they will come and put in the DPP dish equipment. They honestly don't want those older antennas and switches out there anymore.

Where do you find out information about "upgrade to 622 deals" for existing subscribers?

Shelly

Charlie discussed them in his last chat several days ago. They are detailed in threads here somewhere. It doesn't start till the Feb 1st and their are some waits for better deals under certain conditions, it all becomes rather complicated because the marketing has become so complicated. Check around here or DBSTalk.com, the info is available.

If E* is going to provide the switches and 'Profesional Install" for the VIP622 I say bring it on!! However, I will have to install the VIP622 in my home theater setup. When I received the 811 the install guy had my receiver all messed up -- I ended up installing the 811 for him. I will make sure that I am here for the VIP622 setup and do the same. It took me 2 hours to straighten up the mess the installer did behind my receiver. They can do the outside with the dish and I will do the inside with the receiver. Can't wait!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)