1/9 Charlie Chat Recap

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
hdtvdeprived said:
There's one thing I don't get. Under the upgrade plan for those of us that have 921/942s they have the upgrade price $299, the rebate $200, for a total of $99. Then there's the asterick *includes professional installation and dish antenna if applicable. "If applicable" sounds like you pay the $99 regardless, even if you don't need the antenna cause you already have one. Professional installation on a receiver swap is a joke.
My 942 was activated 10 days ago ($250 lease) when everyone thought only the locals would be MPEG4 to start. I've already got a dish pointing to 129. I don't need the antenna upgrade, and I certainly don't need professional installation. Gee I guess that means I pay $99. I doubt they'll let me just pay the price difference between the 942 and 622 price.
th reason why Install is included whether you need it or not is because D* does not want cusomers tampering with their equipment..Technically if the customer attempts to tamper with the install in any way the warranty CAN be voided......I am a tech and I even have to pay for an install if I swap !..Of course I will have the sub I work for flag the job so that I will get it

bpasker said:
so let me get this right, if my current sat dish is pointed to 119 and 110 I can upgrade my 811 to the 211 and get the second dish pointed to 61.5 for $50?
Too bad I can't use my best buy cards on one of those new fancy smancy hd dvrs. That's about the only way me wife is letting me come close to that price.
almost..the repoint would not be included in the install of the swapped receiver..The tech would have to call in and get the w/o changed to reflect the additional labor for which you the customer would have to pay for..remember the tech will want to be and should be compensated for the additonal work........
A note....the "if needed" part of the installation means just that..If the dish(es) you currently have enable you to view all subscribed programming, you will not get a second dish as part of the promotion
The only way you can get the second antenna as part of the promotion is to add the programming that requires the second dish...Otherwise, you will be charged for the additonal labor..Basically boils down to you will pay for the extra dish in labor or in the long run through higher subscription costs for more channels

I wonder if their going to give us a free pay per view movie like they did last year when they went up on the price.I was hoping it wouldn't go up this year I know it's just a $2 increase but still it's higher I have the ata 180 package plus my locals.Postage stamps just went up and now dish has too whats next?

Attachments

• Jaws Unleashed 3.jpg
    Jaws Unleashed 3.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Jaws 2.jpg
    Jaws 2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Jaws_Unleashed_5.jpg
    Jaws_Unleashed_5.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 0009642701409_215X215.jpg
    0009642701409_215X215.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Jaws vs Hammerhead.jpg
    Jaws vs Hammerhead.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
So basically Dish network is giving existing HD DVR owners $200 for it if you want to trade it back in. Seeing what the 721's go for, the 921/942 would be worth more with the built in HD tuner and extra hard drive storage, plus you have some additional rooms with HD content. Maybe they will give a better deal to get the rest of the HD DVR's traded in - in the future.

Is there an expiration date for this upgrade offer?

This sounds like this upgrade is for 'early adopters' who want the new HD channels and locals.

If you are in no hurry to view the new HD channels, is it wise to just sit on the fence until everything (HD and SD) switches to MPEG4 and wait to see what upgrade offer E* has in order for you to continue service?

Stargazer said:
So basically Dish network is giving existing HD DVR owners $200 for it if you want to trade it back in. Seeing what the 721's go for, the 921/942 would be worth more with the built in HD tuner and extra hard drive storage, plus you have some additional rooms with HD content. Maybe they will give a better deal to get the rest of the HD DVR's traded in - in the future.

I agree, that's a no-brainer for sure. My working 921, that I own, is certainly worth more than $200.

NightHawk said:
I agree, that's a no-brainer for sure. My working 921, that I own, is certainly worth more than $200.
Not much more. They have been selling for around $300 on eBay lately. None of the "Buy It Now" for $350 have been selling.

So then keep it. You guys were all "If it's 700 i'm outta here", so they give you the option to upgrade to a MPEG-4, HD-DVR for pretty cheap and you're still finding problems...You can't have it for free. You'll be a lot happier when you understand this...

Keep your units if you feel they're insulting you with the $200 rebate. Eventually you'll be able to take the HDD out of it and hook it up to the USB of the 622 (right?) and add storage, so just keep the damn thing...

Honestly, I don't know what the problem is here. The upgrade path is as easy to understand as is possible and there's still all these questions and concerns. Read the info, it's all right there.

I don't think it'll be an instant rebate. If you're asking for 3 vip622's, expect to be charged 3 installation fee's. If they cut you a break, hey great. If not, oh well. I don't see why someone should pay $299 for one box and someone else should get 3 boxes for the same price...

What's significant but still unclear is how long after they really start MPEG4 (contrary to what Dish says it's still all MEPG2) will it be before they shut down existing HD on MPEG2.

It's my impression that even though Dish still doesn't understand how to make MPEG4 work (other than it's benifits of generating revenue through forced upgrades), once they do, they'll want all HD on it and want to immediatly shut down MEPG2 for HD.

So if that's true, all current MPEG2 HD receivers could have a potentially very limited life expectancy as an HD reciever and therefore it's value might drop like a rock. Just something to consider when deciding on whether or not to keep it now.

retsef said:
Read my earlier posts.
If you own 921/942 you can upgrade to the 622 NOW and then you will receive the rebate when it becomes available in April or you can wait to upgrade in April. when the rebate is available. Plus you do not have to return the 921/942 if you own it. It was said on the chat!!!

I distinctly remember them saying on the chat that if you have the 921/942 and you upgrade to the 622 before April, you DID NOT receive the rebate. To get the rebate, you had to wait until April.

I have a feeling there won't be any 622's available by April for anyone (based on E* recent track record with the 811 and 921), so it will probably be a mute point.

I guess I'm with Purogamer here (plus I like his avitar!). Seems like a clear, reasonably fair upgrade offer.

I'm one that paid $250 to lease a DVR 942 in November. It's already been worth it for the NFL season + the other HD (love CSI in HD). I'll continue to use it til April & then pay the $99 upgrade (after $200 rebate) to get a 622 & contine enjoy the new HD. At this point, I'll look at it as having paid $350 for the lease option. Even at $5/month, over 3 years, I'll have paid about $530 for my HD DVR vs. the full up $700 price. (And, after 3 yrs., I'm sure it'll be time to upgrade again.)

BobMurdoch said:
ALL new HD channels are in Mpeg4 only. That means ESPN2HD, Universal HD, The new Voom channels, and the Food/HGTV HD channels being added in the 2nd quarter. PLUS any HD LILs that are coming....

I have a superdish, and a 2nd dish pointed at 61.5. If I swap out my 811 for the a new mpeg4 receiver, will I have to switch out any dishes?

I'm confused (no surprise). I just received E* service for the first time on Sunday. I am leasing the 811 HD and a 322 (I think) for my two non-HD t.v's, and I have a Superdish, the 180 package and HD. I have premiums free for three months and HD for six.

So, appearently, I can upgrade to the 211 for $49, which will give me the 25 HD package, but will cost $19.95/mth versus the $9.99 current HD package? Correct? If I upgrade is the new dish included in the $49, since I need a 61.5 dish or a dish 1000?

Also, I assume that since I do not currently have HD-DVR, if I want the 611 I have to pay the $299 with no rebate available, even after April. Is this all correct?

Rook said:
I'm confused (no surprise). I just received E* service for the first time on Sunday. I am leasing the 811 HD and a 322 (I think) for my two non-HD t.v's, and I have a Superdish, the 180 package and HD. I have premiums free for three months and HD for six.

So, appearently, I can upgrade to the 211 for $49, which will give me the 25 HD package, but will cost $19.95/mth versus the $9.99 current HD package? Correct? If I upgrade is the new dish included in the $49, since I need a 61.5 dish or a dish 1000?

Also, I assume that since I do not currently have HD-DVR, if I want the 611 I have to pay the $299 with no rebate available, even after April. Is this all correct?

I think you have everything correct. I'm in the same boat as you, but I think if we choose to upgrade we forfeit all of our promotions and must take on the newer (higher priced) HD packages. If I could get the upgrade and roll my promotions in as well it would be great, but I think that's asking a bit too much.

Well, if I would have to pay to upgrade, despite only being a customer for what, three days, I suspect I'll wait until at least the new HD channels are up and running, or maybe until the HD promo ends in six months, assuming I would lose that if I upgrade.

Also, I don't get the HD packages (gold/silver/bronze) what do you get for those prices?

Here's my confusion point - the packages (I'm sure I'm just being dense :))
I already know I'm going to trade in my 811 (that I lease) for the 622, pay the 300 and be happy. But I'm not sure about the packages...I think I get it, but I'm not sure.
Bronze = America's Top 60 + HD
Silver = America's Top 120 + HD
Gold = America's Top 180 + HD
Platinum = AEP + HD
Is that right? Thanks!

Set said:
Here's my confusion point - the packages (I'm sure I'm just being dense :))
I already know I'm going to trade in my 811 (that I lease) for the 622, pay the 300 and be happy. But I'm not sure about the packages...I think I get it, but I'm not sure.
Bronze = America's Top 60 + HD
Silver = America's Top 120 + HD
Gold = America's Top 180 + HD
Platinum = AEP + HD
Is that right? Thanks!

Nice!!! Could someone put the prices for each as well?

Jimmy J said:
Nice!!! Could someone put the prices for each as well?

Dish HD Prices & Packages

DishHD Bronze $49.99 w/o locals $54.99 with locals
DishHD Silver $59.99 $64.99
DishHD Gold $69.99 $74.99
DishHD Platinum $99.99 $104.99

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)