1 Account, 1 Receiver, 2 Locations - Local Channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

satellitequestions

Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
US
All-

I'm a newbie and not well-versed in all things Directv . . .

I have Directv in Illinois and would like to take my HD DVR to my cabin in Michigan for when I am there. I've read posts re: spotbeams, etc., but am still confused.

If I take the HD DVR to my cabin and hook it up to a 2nd dish, will I:
a) receive no local HD channels
b) receive Illinois local HD channels
c) receive Michgan local HD channels

I don't really care about what local channels I get (Illinois, Michigan, other), just as long as I get NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX in HD somehow - is this possible at all in the scenario above (via settings, etc)? If not through Directv, should I add an OTA HD antenna?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

You will receive whatever locals the receiver is authorized for, assuming there is sufficient signal strength. Example: If you are authorized for Chicago locals, the receiver will receive Chicago locals until it moves beyond the area covered by the spot beam. Then you will just get a "searching for signal" message on those channels.

If you have OTA available at your cabin, that would be a good fall-back.

If you let Directv know you are temporarily moving and when, they can authorize the locals where you will be.

How long will you be there, as Chip said, if it's for awhile you may call D* and see if they will change them for you and you can call back after you get back.

The potentially easiest way would be to hook up a antenna to a AM 21 (over the air tuner) .... and not have to deal with calling whenever you go.

AM21 cost about $ 50-60 and it's Yours to do whatever with.
It connects to D*s stuff quick and simple.

Before you look into a OTA set up, you'll have to decide what recvr your going to use. some of the older ones have OTA tuners in them already.

If you use a H20 they have the OTA tuners in them, anything Newer do not.

Update to original post

All-

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

I go back and forth quite often - I don't think calling Directv each time to 'move' my receiver would be feasible - they'd probably block my calls after a while!

I've been looking for spot beam maps, and found this . . . DTV Spots Map

It looks like the light-blue, 18, 26 ring covers both areas. When I called Directv to see what locals I would get if I set up new service in southern MI, they said Toledo. So, if the light-blue spot beam covers both areas, I would be able to get the Chicago locals? Sorry - I'm ignorant when it comes to satellites / Directv.

If the answer is no, and I cannot get any local HD in the MI location, is there a way I can find out if I'll be able to pick up OTA signals before I go out and buy an antenna? My Directv receiver is the HR20-700. I have never used an HD OTA antenna, so my knowledge is close to zero on that subject as well.

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

All-

If the answer is no, and I cannot get any local HD in the MI location, is there a way I can find out if I'll be able to pick up OTA signals before I go out and buy an antenna? My Directv receiver is the HR20-700. I have never used an HD OTA antenna, so my knowledge is close to zero on that subject as well.

I think this is the website you need. It's set up by the FCC, put your address in and it should tell you what stations would come in for your area.

All-

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

I go back and forth quite often - I don't think calling Directv each time to 'move' my receiver would be feasible - they'd probably block my calls after a while!

I've been looking for spot beam maps, and found this . . . DTV Spots Map

It looks like the light-blue, 18, 26 ring covers both areas. When I called Directv to see what locals I would get if I set up new service in southern MI, they said Toledo. So, if the light-blue spot beam covers both areas, I would be able to get the Chicago locals? Sorry - I'm ignorant when it comes to satellites / Directv.

I can answer the antenna part. Go to antennaweb.org, punch in your address at the new location and it will tell you which locals you will get and what kind of antenna you need.

What receiver are you taking with you?

Went to the antenna sites - thanks for all the replies - looks like I'll be able to get some locals. Now, I just have to figure out what antenna to get.

We have a huge antenna that got some local channels in SD (and actually some in digital with the converter box after the conversion), so I assume I should be able to pick up the HD signal for those channels with the right antenna? Or, would that old antenna work for HD signals as well (I assumed I needed an 'HD' antenna)?

wildbill:

Right now i have an hr20-700.

Went to the antenna sites - thanks for all the replies - looks like I'll be able to get some locals. Now, I just have to figure out what antenna to get.

We have a huge antenna that got some local channels in SD (and actually some in digital with the converter box after the conversion), so I assume I should be able to pick up the HD signal for those channels with the right antenna? Or, would that old antenna work for HD signals as well (I assumed I needed an 'HD' antenna)?

wildbill:

There's NO SUCH THING as a HD antenna, I originally used an antenna that we had on the house when I was a kid ....

What city are you closest, I think I live like next door to you :) In Mich.

Use your old antenna, you may want to check the wiring on it. If it's old RG59 maybe look at changing it out to RG6. Outside of that you should be ready, if you are seeing some digital channels already I would think everything is OK.

wildbill:

Well, you wont need the AM-21 then. The HR20 has OTA built in.

On Antenna Web they indicate via color code what kind of antenna you need for each network. When you look at the antenna to buy, there will be a matching color code.

You might also try this one from Monoprice. It has fantastic reviews. My buddy bought it, he said it works great. It's amplified and cheap. He picks up networks that are 70 miles away easily.

For only $19.94 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDTV Indoor / Outdoor Antenna | Outdoor HD Antennas

If your cabin is in SW Michigan (I'm in Berrien County) and I knew which transponders the Chicago HD stations are on, I could check and and see what the levels are.
The transponder for the SD Chicago stations has a good signal level here, but I don't know about HD.

If your cabin is in SW Michigan (I'm in Berrien County) and I knew which transponders the Chicago HD stations are on, I could check and and see what the levels are.
The transponder for the SD Chicago stations has a good signal level here, but I don't know about HD.

In post 5 he mentions D* said he would get Toledo stations, so I'm guessing he's on the WE side of Mich.

OP,
I am in the Toledo market so I could give you the Sat transponder info as well.

That said If your in Mich and the Toledo market, using a OTA antenna there's a good possibility that you could get BOTH markets with out calling D*.

I have a friend with a place up in Brooklyn (Irish Hills) and they are out of the Toledo spot beam, unfortunately .... it must be close, but not close enough as Brooklyn is only an hour away ....

Wildbill 121: I have 2 of those same antennas. They work ok if not much obstruction for reception. Since the OP said he's in a cabin then I would assume he's in the woods w/lots of trees-may be a problem + how far from any cities? Paul

Wildbill 121: I have 2 of those same antennas. They work ok if not much obstruction for reception. Since the OP said he's in a cabin then I would assume he's in the woods w/lots of trees-may be a problem + how far from any cities? Paul

That's good to know. My buddy that has one is in the city so not much in the way of obstructions. Lot's of good reviews though.....and cheap!

All-

Due to some unforeseen events, I've had to put this on hold, but want to try an OTA antenna in the upcoming weeks.

The one posted from monoprice looks good - I'm just wondering if will be powerful enough.

I've gone to the antennaweb.org and tvfool.com sites - looks like my best bet is to try to pick up the Toledo stations (I'm about 50 miles away).

Any other OTA recommendations? I do have some trees to deal with, but it's not totally wooded in the direction of Toledo.

Please let me know - will probably buy a couple and return what doesn't work.

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)