1 ehternet port for HR21 and Xbox 360. Switch? Hub?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

qposner

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
My house is wired for ethernet. In my living room I have an Xbox 360 and an HR21, but only the one port. I wold like to keep them both wired since it is faster than the Wireless router provided by Verizon Fios. Would I need a switch or a hub to run both through the same port in the wall? Im not terribly knowledgeable in networking. Thanks!

either.. a switch basically directs traffic to each port rather than to all the ports.. good when you have 100s of people using a 100mb line.. but over kill for most homes.. a hub is all you need.. but generally a switch isnt that much more.. so whichever you find cheapest should be fine.. i have a 4 port hub sitting by my living room tv.. for the xbox, dvr, and i my hava player (which recently died) and i havent had an issue with it..

The HR21 has a second port that can be used for attaching another networked device. Just attach one port to the wall and attach your Xbox 360 to the other port.

The HR21 has a second port that can be used for attaching another networked device. Just attach one port to the wall and attach your Xbox 360 to the other port.

Nice! I had no idea. Thanks!

I never knew that :eek:

I have a 5 port Linksys hub that I use with my X360, Slingbox, Sling Catcher and HR22. Works fine and you can usually find them under $20 online. It does use an AC adapter so you will have to account for another power supply.

Hubs are ok, but a switch is better. I look it at switches as smart, hubs are dumb. Hubs don't differeniate between each device, they send all packets to everything,which can tie up and slow net traffic. Switches recognize which packet goes where and routes it appropriately. There used to be a huge price difference between hubs and switches. There isn't anymore. You can get a decent switch for less than $30

There is more geek speak here:

http://www.networkclue.com/hardware/network/switches-vs-hubs.aspx

Hubs are ok, but a switch is better. I look it at switches as smart, hubs are dumb. Hubs don't differeniate between each device, they send all packets to everything,which can tie up and slow net traffic. Switches recognize which packet goes where and routes it appropriately. There used to be a huge price difference between hubs and switches. There isn't anymore. You can get a decent switch for less than $30

There is more geek speak here:

Get a Clue: Switches vs. Hubs

I would trust you, but you are a Beav. At least you're not a Duck ;-)

I only say that because Im a Husky. We play you gusy Saturday. Go Dawgs!

I would trust you, but you are a Beav. At least you're not a Duck ;-)

I only say that because Im a Husky. We play you gusy Saturday. Go Dawgs!

We will have to agree to to disagree on the Saturday game.....c'mon, with a team name like "Beaver" how can you not like them??:D

You dont have many posts here, but I'd really like to say this was a great post. :up I HAD NO IDEA the second port could be used to crossover to a 2nd device. Thanks to you i've been able to connect my blu-ray player without buying a game switch.

Thanks.

Yeah, I didn't realize you could daisy chain off the HRx boxes, nice tip. I'd put a hub/switch back there anyways... before you know it you'll need it.

I've got my 360, PS3, and HR22 connected to a switch behind our TV. The way things are going our next TV will probably have an ethernet port, and I don't remember if our Wii connects to it too.

Now we're moving and I might have to put a wireless access point back there instead.... bleh (may look into powerline networking options too).

So this will work with the HR23 as well? I'm using the home plug adapters to get On Demand to my box. Would be nice to wire up my PS3 since I just got the Netflix streaming disc for it.

I've been doing that since Santa dropped off the 360 at my house last year. Works flawlessly and always a good connection for the Netflix stream.

Yeah, I didn't realize you could daisy chain off the HRx boxes, nice tip. I'd put a hub/switch back there anyways... before you know it you'll need it.

That's for sure. I'm one short in the house right now.

A switch is high recommended over a hub to give you efficiency and scalability. I would recommend a Cisco SD205 or SD208 depending upon how many devices you need to hook up. I actually use a gigabit version (SD2008) because I have heavy data transfer requirements but that may be more than you need. Hubs are essentially obsolete since they don't dynamically route signals and consumer (and even business type) switches are reasonably priced so there is really no reason to use them anymore.

A switch is high recommended over a hub to give you efficiency and scalability. I would recommend a Cisco SD205 or SD208 depending upon how many devices you need to hook up. I actually use a gigabit version (SD2008) because I have heavy data transfer requirements but that may be more than you need. Hubs are essentially obsolete since they don't dynamically route signals and consumer (and even business type) switches are reasonably priced so there is really no reason to use them anymore.

I'm using a powerline ethernet adapter and I usually only have one linked device actively running at a time. Would moving to a switch from a hub show any significant improvement?

When setting it up I figured the bottleneck would be at the powerline ethernet adapter and that the switch/hub wouldn't make much of a difference. That was just me guessing however.

If you are using only thing at a time and are only switching between 2 devices, probably staying with a hub is fine. But if you plan on adding other devices, I would get a switch. Some examples include a blu-ray player, TiVo, a Slingbox, a computer, movie server, etc. All would be better served by a switch. Cisco/Linksys, Netgear and others have good ones starting as low as about 20 bucks.

If you are using only thing at a time and are only switching between 2 devices, probably staying with a hub is fine. But if you plan on adding other devices, I would get a switch. Some examples include a blu-ray player, TiVo, a Slingbox, a computer, movie server, etc. All would be better served by a switch. Cisco/Linksys, Netgear and others have good ones starting as low as about 20 bucks.

Good advice. If you really want to future proof it, buy a gigabit switch. (assuming the rest of your network will provide gigabit throughput) I am now in the process of upgrading all my switches to gigabit. They are cheap now, only 10 to 20 bucks more than 10/100 switches.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)