1 ehternet port for HR21 and Xbox 360. Switch? Hub?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Two HR-23's, one ethernet cable to router

My two HR-23's each have two ethernet ports. Connect the top port of each receiver separately to the router and they each work fine. BUT, try to connect HR-23 #1 to router, and then use its 2nd port to connect to HR-23 #2, and get "ERROR 22" on HR-23 #2, and HR-23 #1's connection to the 'net becomes completely inoperable.

Do I need to use a crossover cable? Is there some other trick to get two HR-23's to "chain" so that I only have to run 1 ethernet cable back to the router?

Update -- I just solved the problem! Here's how:
Connect the router to HR-23 #1 (top port), connect HR-23 #1 (bottom port) to HR-23 #2 (BOTTOM port); leave the top port of HR-23 #2 empty.

The key is the bottom-port-to-bottom-port connection; it sure would be nice if these annoying details were actually documented somewhere! Trial and error is not my idea of a good time.

Anyway, doing this cleared up all conflicts, and both receivers now automatically configure themselves and connect to the outside world. No static IPs or other tricks, and using only ordinary non-crossover Cat-5 patch cables.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts