1 feed, Two independent channels in separate rooms

Status
Please reply by conversation.

camelchop

Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Jasper County IL
I am in the process of completing an installation at a recently purchased residence which did not venture out of the stone age before. I want to mount my open air and DirecTV dish on top of an outbuilding nearby. I am running everything in PVC conduit to protect the cables from varmits.

I mounted a "component box", like a breaker box, and mounted a multi-switch pass to combine the terresterial signal and satellite signal feed to each TV/receiver location.

I had a water line trenched in and decided to put the phone/ethernet and RG-6 in at the same time, again in PVC conduit. This delivers the cable/signal from the outbuilding to the house.

My question is....assuming a dual LNB satellite dish and a single coax going from the outbuilding to the house provide the ability to watch two independent channels simultaneously? What configuration and/or hardware do I need to be able to watch the Colts win on the downstairs TV while the kids are locked in their room (away from me) watching Sponge Bob or some other pollutant?

And lastly the whole point in utilizing the outbuilding is to enable the ability to eventually turn it into a "Big Boys" playhouse where I could operate another receiver completely independent of what is going on in the house. I mean...I'll check on them every once in a while, probably each beer run, but then they can have two TV with independent channels while I max out in the man shed.

Thanks.

To use a single coaxial cable, you need to use the SWM (single wire multiswitch) technology. which basically does a frequency diuvision multiplexing to the different receivers. With a dual LNB, you would need to run a cable from each LNB, one to each receiver to allolw them to watch different channels.

If you are using a single sat 18" dish with a dual lnb, you cannot split the signal between the lnb and the receiver(s). You MUST run a dedicated cable from the receiver(s) to an open port on the LNB.

Thank you both for your replies. I have two buddies who swear you can do this with a DishNetwork DVR package. The multipass switch I purchased has the following inputs LNB 1, LNB 2, and Antenna. It has four outputs. Am I understanding correctly that the only way to view two independent programs is via two coax pulls to the house? I do not have any hardware yet.

Two different setups. Everyone that posted (me included) felt you were asking about Direct...not Dish. With Dish it IS possible, but that also requires either a Dish Pro Plus switch and/or LNB. Not to mention a DPP capable dual-tuner. Your best bet is to repost this question in the Dish Network forum.

Thank you for the response and clarification. I was intentionally in the Direct forum. I would prefer DirecTV service, but it sounds like unless I want to pull another run to the house I am SOL. As an ignorant novice, it is odd to me that Dish would have the capability, but not Direct. It seems like an competitive advantage. Thanks again. Now I have to determine how difficult it is going to be to pull back the existing RG-6 and ethernet, and particularly, pull back the same cable with an additional RG-6 run in 3/4" PVC underground. Again, decisions, decisions. Christmas Blessings to All!

Dish has a dual tuner DVR which can feed two TVs (one HD, one SD). Directv can use a single cable if you get SWM. This is becoming the norm for HD, but not for SD. You would probably need to purchase a SWM8 multiswitch unless you can talk the installer into providing a Slimline-SWM diah. You would then use a splitter to feed receivers in two locations.

Thank you for your reply Bob. I could careless at the moment if I have HD. Will the setup you mention work for SD just the same? (Consider me the installer.) I suppose it is correct to assume one is still billed for the total number of receivers in the installation? I would have three. One in the outbuilding, two in the house. I already pulled two feeds to the location where the dish will reside, but I used LB's at every 90 degree so I should be able to fish it back through, might leave it too for a back-up.

I do have one question regarding the SWM setup, and I am sure the installation manual would advise, but is there a maximum distance limitation from the satellite to the other necessary hardware? i.e. power inverter and SWM

Then am I understanding that I can split the single cable again once it reaches the house to feed two receivers/TV with independent programming?

Thanks again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts