1 meter or 90cm dish

SkySurfer80

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
So I am upgrading from a 76cm to either a 36" or a 1 meter dish. I have a sg6100 motor that advertises up to 1.4 meter, which I know is wrong, but I want to see if any of you have had the same motor and what was the biggest dish you had working on this thing. I want to get a 1 meter since I can for the same price as a 36" but if the motor cant move it I will stick with a 36. Any of you pushed a 39x36 dish with this motor or should I just stick with a 36"? I am not certain if a 39x36 would really pull in much better than a straight 36" anyways.

Of course if it were able to push a 1.1 meter or 1.2 I would buy one of those. But i seriously doubt it. I dont know why they make the 1.4 meter claim on the box?

One of the things you need to watch for when deciding on a motor and dish combo is the fit. Is the shaft on the 6100 the right size for the dish you want? Another question is, though the motor can handle the weight of a larger dish can it handle the wind force? I have had a lot of Ku motors and never been satisfied with their performance. For the 1.2m and larger dishes a polar mount is the way to go. But hard to find in the US. I converted a C-Band dish mount for a 1.2 Ku dish. I'm real happy with that :)
? offset angle Primestar 1.2m

One of the things you need to watch for when deciding on a motor and dish combo is the fit. Is the shaft on the 6100 the right size for the dish you want? Another question is, though the motor can handle the weight of a larger dish can it handle the wind force? I have had a lot of Ku motors and never been satisfied with their performance. For the 1.2m and larger dishes a polar mount is the way to go. But hard to find in the US. I converted a C-Band dish mount for a 1.2 Ku dish. I'm real happy with that :)
? offset angle Primestar 1.2m

Yeah true. I just read that the 39x36 really gets no more than the 36 accross anyways since the 39" is top to bottom. So if the 39x36 cant receive more signal no need to add the weight. Of course i would love a 1.2 meter, but with crazy high shipping plus another more expensive motor maybe a 36" will do for now. I wish I could find a guide that shows the signal comparisons from a 76cm and a 90cm and then that 39x36 dish I mentioned. I mean I just want to be able to pull in the majority of feeds. That geosat lnb I have seems to be perfect.

I have an HH120 Stab motor that handles a 1m dish quite well. When I first got the motor I put a 1.2m dish on it and was big trouble, main bearing in the motor kept loosening/wearing, and eventually wind actually broke the motor housing (broke one of the mount "ears" off). I got the housing repaired and found a stamped steel 1m dish that has been working fine for several years now. Almost half the weight of the 1.2m. Use it often.
Also have a 90cm dish on an SG2100 (old one) that works great too.
Not familiar with that particular motor (sg6100), bet it isn't much different from the 2100, maybe geared lower for the extra torque required for a heavier dish. Unless the bearings and housing are much beefier I personally wouldn't want anything bigger than a 1m on any of the diseqc motors I have seen so far. Anything bigger "
polar mount is the way to go
".

upgrading from a 76cm to either a 36" or a 1 meter dish

Yeah true. I just read that the 39x36 really gets no more than the 36 accross anyways since the 39" is top to bottom. So if the 39x36 cant receive more signal no need to add the weight. Of course i would love a 1.2 meter, but with crazy high shipping plus another more expensive motor maybe a 36" will do for now. I wish I could find a guide that shows the signal comparisons from a 76cm and a 90cm and then that 39x36 dish I mentioned. I mean I just want to be able to pull in the majority of feeds. That geosat lnb I have seems to be perfect.

The 39 x 36 dish is a true 36 inch dish. Marketing crap if somone says different. My one metre wineguard is 43 x 40.
I did some comparisons years ago on 97 west using my favorite satellite receiver meter. It doesn't read extremely high or low. There was only a 10 point difference I recall on Smile of a Child. This was between a 75cm and a one metre.

Hope this helps, Catamount

Reactions: Larry1
Thanks for all the info. Guess the ole 36" will have to work. I am guessing being locked in the arc with a 35l6" and my geosat lnb should get most feeds.

The 39 x 36 dish is a true 36 inch dish
True as the dish is an offset dish, so the effective size is 36 x 36
If you look at the dish from where the LNBF mounts, you will see that the top to bottom size of the dish shrinks as you move away the Centre of the dish to the offset angle. Some manufactures will list effective size (aperture) or the gain, other only list the top to bottom size to try to oversell the dish size. After all, you will only receive what the LNBF (or satellite) sees, not more because the dish is really bigger but at an angle to the signal.
I have always felt the same as Catamount, Marketing crap.

Reactions: catamount

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)