1 More day until new HD channels!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Who needs fios when you have OTA which is way superior to any compressed stuff that fios delivers. Face the facts, fios or copper cable still equals compressed signal, where OTA is full bandwidth uncompressed. And so far fios is just for "select" (elite) areas of the country, not for the huddled masses that live in flyover country.

I hope we get ESPNews HD tomorrow I have been waiting for this to be HD since day 1 when I heard this was going HD

What additional content will ESPN NEWS HD have that ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD don't already have. Some people get so excited over what turns out to be very little. :rolleyes:

Name one additional thing, besides the slightly better PQ for the much fewer HD channels, that would make me want to choose FiOS over Direct. Just one.

Well not taking sides here, but I think he just named a very big one....hardware! HR20s and HR21s can't even compare to a... for example, TIVO Series 3. Not even close. Thats why many, including myself will leave Directv and opt for Fios or cable.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Directv is not launching any hd channels tomorrow.
And fios. One of fios main offices is right next door to espn studios in conn.

Fios is not available in all areas. So until then take it to the Fios Forum. Failure to do this will result in a vacation. This is the Directv HD forum, not the Verizon Fios forum. I have sent you a PM regarding this. Please keep this on Directv talk not Fios talk as you have tryed hijacking a few threads here. Thank you for your understating.

Fios is not available in all areas. So until then take it to the Fios Forum. Failure to do this will result in a vacation. This is the Directv HD forum, not the Verizon Fios forum. I have sent you a PM regarding this. Please keep this on Directv talk not Fios talk. Thank you for your understating.

And FYI, I have sent virtually the same PM to him as well.

Well not taking sides here, but I think he just named a very big one....hardware! HR20s and HR21s can't even compare to a... for example, TIVO Series 3. Not even close. Thats why many, including myself will leave Directv and opt for Fios or cable.
I still have a TiVO in our bedroom and I much prefer the HR20 that I have in our family room now that I got used to the settings, and I have yet to have a single issue with it. If it means giving up a service and losing my EI, most of my HD, the inability to get OTA through an mpeg4 receiver, and losing the ability to take my service with me when I go to our townhouse in Mammoth, simply so I can get a receiver which I do not see as being much better than I have now, then this is in no way an upgrade.

After having dish for 10 years, and two defective 921,s, then 4 defective 622's I am pleased with Direct. I have now had service for 6 months and have not had a single issue with my HR20 or my 2 H20s. The Pq is great and I don't have to worry about not getting HD channels when they come available. Fios just became available in my area, they do not come close with the HD offering of D. If people worry about 2 day delay, or even a two month delay well that it their issue. There will always be some channels that a provider does not offer.

actually, if you are still counting rsn's, MASN hd (game only for balttimore and washington baseball games) at 626-1 went live this morning (saturday).

I was sick of Dish never adding any new hd.
Don't switch for what someone says that they're adding. Switch for what they already have.

IIRC, DIRECTV hasn't added any non-sports HD channels in four months (Biography HD was the most recent). Other non-sports, non-PPV launches go back to the tail end of the initial roll-out in October.

He gets a pellet every time he mentions FiOS.

Now that is funny:)

BTW I just channel-surfed all HD channels noticed there are now many more HD sports programming I can watch, which I did not think I could before, can anyone tell me something I did not know?

We are talking YES, MSG and the whole nine yard.

I did not even know I could receive YES and MSG, aren't they on the spot beams?

I still have a TiVO in our bedroom and I much prefer the HR20 that I have in our family room now that I got used to the settings

Compare apples to apples not apples to oranges. Research the best Tivo(Series 3) and put it up against the best Directv has (HR 2* series), then you will understand. ;)

If it means giving up a service and losing most of my HD

I have to question exactly much much HD content we actually see. I mean how much of these so called HD channels were actually filmed in HD? Not as much as it appears.

the inability to get OTA through an mpeg4 receiver

OTA is OTA wether through an MPEG4 or MPEG2 receiver. No compression...and from what I've read, same thing.

so I can get a receiver which I do not see as being much better than I have now

Once again, see the difference.
Hands-on with the TiVo Series3! - Engadget
Not trying to argue with you, just pointing out some facts. :)

I did not even know I could receive YES and MSG, aren't they on the spot beams?
All of D*'s RSNs are on Conus beams. Isn't it true that not all of E*'s RSNs are on Conus? Aren't most on spot beams?

Here's a complete list of D*'s RSN, all on Conus Beams

24/7 RSNs (Blackouts apply)

YES Network
New England Sports Network
SportsNet New York
Comcast SportsNet (Mid-Atlantic)
Comcast SportsNet (Chicago)

Other "24/7" RSNs (Blackouts apply) FSN does not claim that they provide more than game HD.

MSG
FSN NY
FSN Detroit
FSN Southwest
FSN West
FSN Prime Ticket

Game Only RSNs / Alternates (Blackouts apply)

Comcast Sports Net New England
FSN Pittsburgh
MASN
FSN South
SportsSouth
Sun Sports
FSN South Plus
FSN Florida
Sun Sports/FSN Florida Plus (Alternate)
FSN Ohio
FSN Cincinnati
FSN Houston
FSN North
FSN Wisconsin (Alternate)
Altitude Sports
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN Utah 647-1
FSN Midwest
FSN Midwest (Alternate)
FSN Arizona
FSN Northwest
FSN Bay Area
FSN Bay Area (Alternate)
Altitude (Alternative)
FSN Indiana
FSN South West (Alternative)
RSN Alternate HD

All of D*'s RSNs are on Conus beams. Isn't it true that not all of E*'s RSNs are on Conus? Aren't most on spot beams?

You know what your correct, I guess coming from an ex E* sub I assumed something:)

BTW, Sco can you also kindly remind swampman the same?

I did not come here to find out what I can get after paying $300 for a Tivo box which I must pay another $12 (?) a month for recording rights, and then pay another $120 just to watch a few pathetic Comcast HD channels which I know the cable cards don't even work well.

Fios allows you to use 3rd party receivers like the tivo hd which is far superior to the hr21 and allows the use of OTA (which directv's latest receiver does not).

The rest of your argument is pretty irrelevant to subs who have the choice between fios and directv, what sub is going to care what their provider is doing on a national basis.

I am for one.
If no one cared what thier provider was doing, this thread would NOT exist.

Jimbo

Who needs fios when you have OTA which is way superior to any compressed stuff that fios delivers. Face the facts, fios or copper cable still equals compressed signal, where OTA is full bandwidth uncompressed. And so far fios is just for "select" (elite) areas of the country, not for the huddled masses that live in flyover country.

Sorry to disappoint you, but OTA is compressed, it uses mpeg2 technology, however it is done much different than satellite and cable.
Remember OTA only has itself to deal with, sat and cable needs to carry a bunch of channels.

Jimbo

What additional content will ESPN NEWS HD have that ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD don't already have. Some people get so excited over what turns out to be very little. :rolleyes:

I agree, I don't see the big deal with ESPNEWS going HD, I watch ESPN plenty but rarely watch ESPNEWS.

fwiw, ESPNEWS mainly for me anyways covers the post game shows that you can get right away and you get more coverage than what you see on the main channels.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts