10' Channel Master Convert For EME 1296 Use

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DSA

Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
Toledo Ohio
Hello All, I recently picked up a Channel Master 10' Fiberglass dish. It is in great shape. (Anyway of identifying the model #? The sticker is worn off) I have started working on it and will be testing the motor for it soon. I will be using this dish for EME communications and have some questions since I am new to this.

First off, I would like to get the dish away from the house approximately 150 feet if possible. I know the closer the better because of Feedline coax cable loss, however I wanted to know if using Hardline or Heliax (sp?) or other would take care of the distance problem. Secondly, anyone know of the best Feedhorn to use for EME 1296? I would be building this myself so any diagrams would be helpful. Thirdly, I will need to control the dish completely from a computer which will require customizing the motors/mounts etc. Before I go through a lot of work I would be interested to see if anyone has diagrams, etc. for this. Any help is greatly appreciated! This is a great site and I look forward to your replies.:)

While we do have a number of hams here, and some might know about the subject, you may be better served on a ham-specific site.
Most of what we discuss (not necessarily all we know) is satellite communication on C-band and Ku.
(4 ghz, and 12 ghz)

Earth Moon Earth (EME) on 1296 mhz is not something I've seen come up in conversation a lot here. :)
Likewise, I've not seen serious discussion of HAMSAT.

If one of the members in the know, should post links for any of the above, I'll happily read about it. - :up
I've been a WA6___ since around 1970.
Best of luck.

Thank you Anole for the reply. I now have 3 dishes! :) I think I caught the Sat Bug. I would like to use one for HAM use and the other two for normal Sat TV use. I will post the dish information on another thread, and I would appreciate any help I could get from anyone on the forum on the best uses for the three dishes.

DSA if it is a 4 panel with webbing on the back side of the panel that is a SMC, also should have 4 alum legs that bolt tru the panels with 2 1/4 20 nuts. very well built dish along with a lot of gain. think you will find it as 1 of the best playing 10-footers ever main. an it is built to last, the back frame an mounting pole got to be about 150lbs, along with stainless hardware, I use them here too.

now if you got Heliax I would use it, would not run it all the way up to transmitter antenna, would stub it like with some 213 or some thing close to its value, due to the movement of the dish. now when I had my big tower up up had 200 feet run of 7/8 andrews up it going into a switcher, now on my HF this was over kill but I had it so used it, but the price of the connectors is what will kill you unless if you can find them at a HamFest cheep but bet they still will bring a good price. but in my case I did commercial communications for years before satellite, an had a lot of this just laying around.

but they are nice playing dishes, they also made a 8 footer along with a 12, not that mainey 12-footers I think alot to the price back in their day. an Channel Master still sold them up untill their buy out by Patroit, (they may still sell it to this day with a Patroit trade mark) but was more for the commercial side with Azel mounts or polar an Hot Dip Galinaze coattings on all steel parts of the mount.

Good luck on you're project DSA, an keep me informed on it, I have thought about same thing here, but never did any thing like that. an with the SMC model it will be easy to have 2 actuators on it becacuse their 1st model had 2 hand cranks 1 azmith an 1 elevation, an you could remove that turnbuckel that used for elevation an put a actuator in its place for elevation control. I still have a customer that has a 12-ft with the hand crank that was for the elevation, but they mounted on the top of the pole cap, would need to try to get a picture of it to better describe it, as a matter of fact had to repace it due to its rusting away but used the same mounting locations.

1Captain sounds like you are spot on with the Channel Master 10' Dish I have. I know exactly what you mean about the mounting hardware, I was shocked while removing it that all Stainless hardware was used! Made for an easy day until all the bolts were out and I had to exactly lift that beast of a mount!:eek: I am going to be posting some pictures of the 3 dishes I have as well as the LNB information I was able to gather of of the stickers on the units. My goal now is to figure out which of the 3 is best for Ham radio use, then use the other 2 for FTV. I am going to need some serious support since I have only set up the "new" directTV type dishes which are basically a "no-brainer". I have vast electronics knowledge and experience with software writing, obviously Ham radio and all of the various communication methods, i.e. APRS, Packet, SSTV, HF, etc. So I am hoping to catch on real quick and get these dishes doing something before winter sets in. Winter's in Ohio are not a good time to be mounting dishes unfortunately.:( I guess I might as well post the dish information on this thread, and it could always be moved by the mod if not in the right category. Thank you for the information, and I look forward to future conversation.:)

I am looking for suggestions, help, and guidance for using the 3 dishes I have been blessed to get for free, well free minus the labor and 1hr travel but it was well worth it!:)

My goal is to use 1 for Ham Radio use, and the other 2 for FTV or other "normal" sat operation. I would appreciate any help and information on what to do with each dish, as well as what I will need for receivers, controllers, set up and pointing systems / test units, wiring of LNB, etc.

- My 3 Dishes Are -

Specifications off of LNB unit is as follows:

California Amplifier, Chaparral
Mini-Mag LNB
Part #140011
Input 3.7 - 4.2Ghz
Output 950 -1450 Mhz
Gain 65db Typical
Noise 25K

Wires on LNB, Black,Red,White
Gain Type 64
Noise 75
Model # LNB-0950

Wires on LNB, Black,Red,White

3) BIRDVIEW SOLID 8.5" DISH (I love this one! :))

Specifications off of LNB unit is as follows:

VERY limited information on this LNB ! I have read in other BirdView posts that all this feed horn is good for is a door stop....would like to know more/why.

Model # DWN CONV. (Sorry that is it!)

There was a sponge pad inside the LNB cover that said "DO NOT remove" apparantly this is for blocking stray microwaves from the LNB feed cables?

Pictures will be next, I have started cleaning, painting, buying new stainless bolts etc...but do not want to get ahead of myself before I know which one(s) are worth the time and money to restore.

Thank you all in advance !

DSA

DSA;

Do a search on "Stogies Birdview restoration", a most excellent and thorough thread. The BV will make an outstanding C/Ku scanning dish.

Toledo? I left there for the Dakota's seven yrs ago. I used to be a regular at the Hamfest every year at the Rec Center St. Patricks day weekend.

Cadsulfide, OK I will look up the Birdview restoration articles, Thanks! Unfortunately HamFest at the Lucas County Rec Center is not what it used to be, it has shrunk in size, they used to have all the buildings full as I am sure you can remember, now it is just the one main building. We normally go to Dayton if we can now!:)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?u=120980

Here is a KL7UW site on EME with drawings which you may find interesting 1296 MHZ EME . If you ever are near Patriot (now Cobham) in Albion Mi I found they have most parts you may need, and were very helpful and amenable to projects but not cheap

Well I'd compare the specs between the helix and hardline to see which would best for your installation. Or you could go as far as your wallet would allow. :) BTW I think this is a great place to discuss FTA systems and EME operations you might learn something new. :)

Bob N1WBD

Hello All, I recently picked up a Channel Master 10' Fiberglass dish. It is in great shape. (Anyway of identifying the model #? The sticker is worn off) I have started working on it and will be testing the motor for it soon. I will be using this dish for EME communications and have some questions since I am new to this.

First off, I would like to get the dish away from the house approximately 150 feet if possible. I know the closer the better because of Feedline coax cable loss, however I wanted to know if using Hardline or Heliax (sp?) or other would take care of the distance problem. Secondly, anyone know of the best Feedhorn to use for EME 1296? I would be building this myself so any diagrams would be helpful. Thirdly, I will need to control the dish completely from a computer which will require customizing the motors/mounts etc. Before I go through a lot of work I would be interested to see if anyone has diagrams, etc. for this. Any help is greatly appreciated! This is a great site and I look forward to your replies.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Do you listen to AM Radio???

Pansat TC1000

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)