10 foot fiberglas dish system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
I came across a "10 foot fiberglass satellite dish w/receiver that works" in the local classifieds. Does this sound like a good start to a C band FTA system?

Should work fine for C band but may not work for KU band as who knows what size the holes in the mesh inside are...... NICE FIND!

OK for how much? I have like 5 or 6 people who want to give me there dish in the last year and no place to put them. I do hope to grab an 8' mesh in the next month.

It sound like a sold dish. If you get it do place it close to the ground and use a lot of concrete.

If the price is right it might be? I like mesh dishs when they get this big.

123tim said:
I came across a "10 foot fiberglass satellite dish w/receiver that works" in the local classifieds. Does this sound like a good start to a C band FTA system?

The problem with fiberglass dishes is that you never know what the condition of the internal mesh is. It could have warped or broken down.
If it's free, it might be worth it.

The other problem with fiberglass dishes is that the doggone things are heavy and offer a lot more water and wind resistance than the mesh type (this is significant in areas where it snows). My son got a free fiberglass dish and we put it up and the first winter it was up the weight of the snow broke the positioner arm and also popped out a bushing in the support bracket, essentially rendering the thing useless unless he wanted to take it all apart and have the bushing re-welded.

He tried to give the thing away but nobody wants it. Now it is dismantled and laying on its back in his yard and he's hoping someone will see it and offer to haul it away, but since the electronics aren't on it anymore I doubt anyone would want just the dish itself, and even if they did they'd need a pickup truck to haul it off.

I've had a 10' mesh dish for over 10 years and never had the sort of problems he had with that dish in just three or four months. The only positive thing I can say about the one he had was that when he first put it up, he got excellent reception on both C and Ku band. And did I mention that the things are heavy? After I helped him install the thing we both had back and shoulder pains for days (probably me moreso than him). Only way I'd want one of those now is if I wanted an in-ground duck pond or fountain basin - for that they'd be great (you'd have to plug the hole in the center, but you could always use the hole to run a water pipe up into a statue of a boy peeing on the dish, which for that monstrosity would be quite appropriate IMHO!). :D

P.S. What I DO think those would work quite well for is any situation where the dish doesn't need to move - if you can take the positioner arm out of the equation and just lock the dish down on a single satellite, it would probably be okay. But the weight of the dish plus the weight of snow will kill a positioner arm quickly, and I'd hate to even think what would happen to one of those things in a hurricane or even strong straight-line winds.

Same here. I bought a 6' for $50 and it is heavy and would you know it two weeks later someone want's to give me an 8' mesh in premo shape. I only bought it because it was 6' and offset. When I get my new place and set it up I will give some feedback on it.

TiminMb said:
The fiberglass dishes do however seem to be the norm for commercial installations around here. They are I imagine fixed in position.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)