10 ft fiberglass dish for free

stinkygopher1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Saint John NB CA
Going to look at a 10 foot fiberglass dish tomorrow. Anything I should look for in particular as far as condition? The owner said he put a an actuator on it because he got tired of the hand crank.It's only a few miles down the road and its free.Hopefully its in ok condition.Any thoughts on owning a fiberglass dish? I will try to get some pictures when I am there.

Fiberglass dishes usually weigh a lot. Bring help. :) Take lots of pictures before you take it apart. Bring a marker and mark what pieces go where.

Reactions: EmCommSat
The gentleman that owns it said it is in 4 sections so it might not be that bad as long as the bolts will twist off.Marker is definitely a must take. I worry about the bolts on the post not loosening enough to get it off. A can of rust off might help too!

Went to have a look at the dish this afternoon and it looks pretty good. Got some pictures to post.Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• DSC01641.JPG
    DSC01641.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 473
  • DSC01638.JPG
    DSC01638.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC01634.JPG
    DSC01634.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 594
  • DSC01636.JPG
    DSC01636.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC01637.JPG
    DSC01637.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC01640.JPG
    DSC01640.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 392
The LNB does not look all that old, so might be ok. But it will require using something that can control the polarization servo ( like the Titanium ASC-1 or an old analog receiver). So in the end you might be better off replacing it with a LNBF that uses voltage to switch polarity.

I would replace that LNB and feedhorn with an LNBF. String test the dish in 4 directions at least to check for warping. I have a fiberglass to install, but I am only bothering because it is perfectly shaped with no warping or cracks.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Hello,

Thanks for posting this, refreshing to see a little-known dish pictured.
Never knew there were dishes made in Canada!

Not sure about the mesh size inside, or accuracy of this, but you must be prepared that this could turn out to be a C-band dish, rather than a general-purpose large dish.

Can you share a little about what you would be trying to receive with this behemoth?
Are you thinking modern Ku-stuff, or C-band?

Also, are you thinking of using this for a single position, or are you contemplating using the polar mount?
If the latter, I would probably suggest you put some energy into refurbing the polar mount (bushings, bolts), as it looks to be a bit weathered...

Do also consider where you are going to mount this. It will require some concrete or good wall-mounting brackets to make it (not) fly!

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.
(and eventually the install!)

Last edited:
Hi Cyber.I also have a 10 ft mesh that I am putting up now. Got the post up today and I am ready to mount the dish.Waiting on a new LNBF from Titanium that should be here by the end of the month.

Reactions: cyberham
Hi st1. I didn't know Canada made satellite dishes.It looks good and sturdy and the surface is still nice and smooth.Needs a good wash to get 30 years of grime off.I also have an aluminium 10 ft dish that I am setting up now that I can use for KU if I want but I haven't really seen much on KU worth watching.

The first thingI would do POWER WASH real good, next take the button hook off of it, and make some quad legs for it, get a new actuator, and bullseye II feed horn and put ku and C band LNB's, if you did that you would have a like new KILLER DISH.

If the button hook is mechanically sound and centered, I would keep it. A button hook mount is typically much easier to set the FD and align the feed with polar axis. While your design doesn't allow, many button hook designs set the FL and skew from behind the reflector by loosening one or two bolts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts