10 ft or 7 ft

Status
Please reply by conversation.

babcea

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
N.Florida
I found two dishes saturday,one is 7 ft the other is 10,the 10 ft has a broken motor,but the 7 works fine,they both have eagle aspen lnb's,c-band only,I have found channels with the 7 ft,should i stay with it or get another motor for the 10 ft,I am going to get two more next weekend and see if one of those motors will work,they are all over the place around here and people just want them out of their yard.my other question is should I get a v-box to move the dish,or use the positioner I have,it is a uniden satellite selector ust 7700,I just need a remote to operate it,I can use the front buttons but to lazy to get off the couch and push the buttons,and will the v-box change polarities on the lnb,If not is there an lnb that changes without a servo motor.

Attachments

• 000_0098.jpg
    000_0098.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 318
  • 000_0099.jpg
    000_0099.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 000_0100.jpg
    000_0100.jpg
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 314
  • 000_0101.jpg
    000_0101.jpg
    974.6 KB · Views: 331
They both look like they're in good shape, I think the smaller one is a Winegard, I have one like it and it's a very well constructed,accurate c-band dish. The big one looks fine too, I think I would take them both if I could.
I use older analog receivers to move my dishes and control polarity, but you could buy a dual feedhorn to do away with the polarity motor. I can't recall ever seeing a feedhorn with 2 c and 2 ku lnbs, though they might be avail.
Don't know about the v-box so I can't comment there. For awhile I had the small dish setup with only ku lnbf and my 10' for c-band only, worked great since there's not a lot on c-band I watch often. Now I just have the 7.5 dish pointed at AMC6 with a c-band lnb on it, for NASA TV. The ku stuff I get off a primestar/motorized dish.

They both look like they're in good shape, I think the smaller one is a Winegard, I have one like it and it's a very well constructed,accurate c-band dish. The big one looks fine too, I think I would take them both if I could.
I use older analog receivers to move my dishes and control polarity, but you could buy a dual feedhorn to do away with the polarity motor. I can't recall ever seeing a feedhorn with 2 c and 2 ku lnbs, though they might be avail.
Don't know about the v-box so I can't comment there. For awhile I had the small dish setup with only ku lnbf and my 10' for c-band only, worked great since there's not a lot on c-band I watch often. Now I just have the 7.5 dish pointed at AMC6 with a c-band lnb on it, for NASA TV. The ku stuff I get off a primestar/motorized dish.
thanks for the input,yes the small one is a winegard and the big one is a channel master,do you know the name of the dual feedhorn,I dont need c/ku I just want c-band,I have a ku system with motor,with the dual feedhorn will I need to worry about the skew on the analog receiver.

I have both 7.5' and 10' sami black mesh c/ku dishes in operation. Ku band they perform about the same. The 10' will blow the doors off the 7.5' on C-band hand down.

Take them both if you can and put one away in case you have one go down to a storm or something.

You can get what is called a dual ortho feedhorn. They are a little expensive. Chapparall makes one. It has dual C and KU lnbs on it (4 total lnbs).

You can get into some money buying 4 good lnbs and the feed. You would then have to use 18V dc power inserters and AC adaptors to power them then run them into two multi switches (like the ones people use on mini dish systems). You would then run 2 coaxes one for C and one for KU from your receiver (s).

The receiver would choose the proper port depending on H or V on either band.
I was going to persue this setup and may in the future. It eliminates a servo motor and allows several receiver to connect to your dish (limited to the satellite the dish is pointed at the time).

would be a stellar setup IMO.

I have both 7.5' and 10' sami black mesh c/ku dishes in operation. Ku band they perform about the same. The 10' will blow the doors off the 7.5' on C-band hand down.

Take them both if you can and put one away in case you have one go down to a storm or something.

You can get what is called a dual ortho feedhorn. They are a little expensive. Chapparall makes one. It has dual C and KU lnbs on it (4 total lnbs).

You can get into some money buying 4 good lnbs and the feed. You would then have to use 18V dc power inserters and AC adaptors to power them then run them into two multi switches (like the ones people use on mini dish systems). You would then run 2 coaxes one for C and one for KU from your receiver (s).

The receiver would choose the proper port depending on H or V on either band.
I was going to persue this setup and may in the future. It eliminates a servo motor and allows several receiver to connect to your dish (limited to the satellite the dish is pointed at the time).

would be a stellar setup IMO.
thanks for the help,I have them in my yard and I put the 10ft on the pole but the motor just clicked it did not move so i put the 7ft on and using it,this weakend I am going for two more and get the motor off of one and put it on the 10ft and use that one.these buds are all over the place here and people are so happy to see them gone,but no good receivers yet.Will the bsc 421,lnb switch h/v without a srevo motor,I dont want to have to use the c-band receiver to do this,and will an fta have enough power to do it,right now I only want c-band because I have a ku set up already.Thank for the help

Will the bsc 421,lnb switch h/v without a srevo motor,
I dont want to have to use the c-band receiver to do this,and will an fta have enough power to do it,
right now I only want c-band because I have a ku set up already.
It will work.
I have thought about what I'd do if I were only going for C-band and not Ku.
I'd like a two-output LNB like this one from SatAV.
That way, with a proper multiswitch, I could feed several receivers, all of which could choose V/H electrically.

It will work.
That way, with a proper multiswitch, I could feed several receivers, all of which could choose V/H electrically.

this is a good thought a dual will feed several receivers :) good for expansion

It will work.
thank you that is very helpful,so with this lnb and a v3000 gbox,I should be set and ready to find some channels,do I need a new feedhorn or the one I have will work,it is in good condition.

converting Chaparral feed to voltage controlled LNB

We are a little sloppy with our terminology.
For the most part, everyone knows what we mean, so nobody gets snooty about it.

But to be technical, what you have shown on those pictures:
1) is a big sheet metal mounting plate (with bent-up rim) which bolts to the ends of the LNB struts (arms)
2) the scalar ring is below that flat plate, and might work without being replaced - it has several wide deep groves in it
3) the feed horn proper which has the name Chaparral on it with:
3a) blue servo motor bolted to it
3b) some microwave plumbing / right angles / bolted to it
3c) the actual C-band LNB is mounted on the plumbing and has the coax connector.

So, what I'd do is pull the beer-can sized feed horn and all its attachments off your existing dish, and insert the C2 in place.
If it doesn't fit in the 2..3 inch hole, you might need to change out the Chaparral scalar ring plate for the one shipped with the C2.
Obviously, care and alignment, as well as spacing and rotation will be need to be observed...

Hope I have supplied enough info for encouragement without insulting your intelligence. - :D

edit: and by all means save the material you remove.
I'm sure many of the members where would love to recycle some of your trash. - :up

We are a little sloppy with our terminology.
For the most part, everyone knows what we mean, so nobody gets snooty about it.

But to be technical, what you have shown on those pictures:
1) is a big sheet metal mounting plate (with bent-up rim) which bolts to the ends of the LNB struts (arms)
2) the scalar ring is below that flat plate, and might work without being replaced - it has several wide deep groves in it
3) the feed horn proper which has the name Chaparral on it with:
3a) blue servo motor bolted to it
3b) some microwave plumbing / right angles / bolted to it
3c) the actual C-band LNB is mounted on the plumbing and has the coax connector.

So, what I'd do is pull the beer-can sized feed horn and all its attachments off your existing dish, and insert the C2 in place.
If it doesn't fit in the 2..3 inch hole, you might need to change out the Chaparral scalar ring plate for the one shipped with the C2.
Obviously, care and alignment, as well as spacing and rotation will be need to be observed...

Hope I have supplied enough info for encouragement without insulting your intelligence. - :D

edit: and by all means save the material you remove.
I'm sure many of the members where would love to recycle some of your trash. - :up
thak you for the info.I dont have enough intelligence to be insulted lol,as soon as i get the money I will have one of those lnb's,try it out and report back.I thank everyone at this site for the great help,and what to look for when dish hunting.

I am getting ready to swap out my BSC-621 for a corotor (chaparall) with servo. I am not crazy about the idea of a servo motor but from what I have read everywhere they perform better on ku.

I have had hit and miss ku out of my BSC-621 on a 10' mesh. I have it tracking the arc.
I hope the corotor does much better.

The voltage controlled polarity is much more convienient.

is it safe to stick my head up?

Yea, I was a little worried about that post, above:
converting Chaparral feed to voltage controlled LNB
Worried that I might get lynched or voted off the forum for such a heretical suggestion - :eek:
But, in fairness, he did ask how to hook up a BSC-421... ;)
Will the bsc 421,lnb switch h/v without a srevo motor,I dont want to have to use the c-band receiver to do this,and will an fta have enough power to do it,right now I only want c-band because I have a ku set up already.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)