10' mesh installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

signal.quest

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Near Scranton, PA
I am trying to complete setup of my 10' mesh. I was given it from a nice lady about 5 miles from my house. Am I correct in assuming that I should not need to adjust the Inc/dec settings? I am concerning myself with finding the ARC and making sure the new LNB is at the correct FD. My KU true south is 74. Should I use 72 for C? I am assuming that I should retract the actuator all the way and guess at my western limit and then make sure that the actuator can extend to hit my Eastern limits? Then I should peak it at 72w? All help is welcome. Thanks. I have my pic attached.

Attachments

• image-1004475165.png
    image-1004475165.png
    145.5 KB · Views: 211
you should need to adjust the inc/dec but it wouldnt hurt to rechk.
also rechk the lnb by measurements i wouldnt touch it till i see whats it doin first.
i had to use a sat which was about 2 degrees off which was not a problem.
you should set the mechanic limits on the actuator, set the dish to the lowest sat on the western horizon, for eastern i would watch the dish to make sure its not hittin the house or in the way of anything also rechkin that the actuator is not rubbin on the dish mount.
peak at 72w on c band and i believe you should get some ku on that sat but find your arc before findin the ku sats.

Advice- move the jack to the east side of the pole. Mot much on the west horizon, The international sats to the east horizon are much more active. I moved mine, and don't regret it. Retract the jack, adjust jack mounting so dish is looking as close to the east horizon as possible, but the jack is still able to move it up easily. You will most likely be able to reach 137W, but only trying it will confirm.
You're at 74W. Sat you want to use for south is at 72W. So, with the actuator move it just a bit east of it's highest elevation. Then rotate it on the pole and look for TP;s on 72W. when you find them( If unable to acquire 72W, adjust polar angle slightly and try again) adjust the polar elevation to maximize Q. ) Now move the dish east with the jack, and look for TP's on easterly sats. When you can't get any more, go back to the last sat you had Q on. Rotate the mount on the pole to maximize Q. (DON"T adjust polar elevation) repeat until you're as far east as you can get. Tighten it up and check the west side sats. Since you're only moving about 5 miles, this alone should get ya going. NOTE: some of the international sat use circular polarization which require a dielectric plate in the feed. Dish tune up requires small adjustments, and waiting time enough for the receiver to acquire lock and display Q.
BTW, You shouldn't need to, but checking the declination can't hurt. For your Lat ~41.41, it should be (modified)5.74 degrees. Footprints by Dish Size - Latitude Declination Chart - C/Ku-Band Satellite Listing

Last edited:
Does the actuator have a zero position like a KU motor?
No,
Do all SAT positions need to be manually stored?
Yes.
Wow, (just noticed the picture) I hope you don't have to go up there in the midst of winter to adjust/fix anything. (I'd put some xmas lites on it)

The scaffolding is rented and needs to be return in 2 days. I am hoping to get most of the tweaking done now with the LNB and ARC. Is that realistic? Can you recommend how I can tweak it without scaffolding? I was thinking of wearing a climber harness and attaching myself to the pole. If I position the dish over my roof I might be able to access the LNB - not sure. I am thinking I need to make sure the LNB is set up correctly and then adjust the ARC.

Since the dish was previously in operation, most likely on C band subs, the C band should work fairly well. But most can be readjusted for better performance, especially if it's going to be used on Ku band also. Don't know the brand/model of dish, but there is a sticky on linking to focal lengths, maybe yours is listed, minimizing the experimentation.
I'd be very careful on the roof. Looks as though you'll need a ladder,( ladders+roofs=extreme danger) even with it moved all the way east with the jack. Might have to spin it around on the pole to work on it safely. Then re-acquire the sat it was on before the "spin". No matter, it's a two person job, for safety.

I only intend to use this dish for C band. I have a seperate dish for KU. I do want to get DVB-S2 signals with it so I want it to be aligned as much as possible. I am using a new DMX241. Do I need to worry about it's rotational orientation? I did not know the FD at the time and mounted it flush with the outer ring. It is a 10' Perfect 10.

my dish is also setup up simular where as i have to be on the roof. . .BUT i knew what i was gettin into so the bottom of the dish is about 6" from the top of the roof so if i need to adjust the LNBs i can do so by either 'spinning' which i use to do but now i position the dish at the top of my arc and unbolt the actuator and let it fall to my side.

btw: my location is close to the equator so when my dish move through the arc it looks as if the dish is flippin over the pole.

Do I need to worry about it's rotational orientation?
Well, yes, that's what allows it to track the arc. I'd get it tracking first, then tackle the feed, if performance isn't acceptable. My dish gets all the S2, without adjusting the feed(is as first assembled in '86). DMX241 also. If feed tuning is attempted, I'd try moving the dish all the way to the last east sat, (with the actuator on the east side)and unbolt the actuator from the dish, let it swing down. Hopefully that will get the feed within reach. Adjust, then bolt the actuator back on. That way you wouldn't mess up the tune-up.

Well, yes, that's what allows it to track the arc. I'd get it tracking first, then tackle the feed, if performance isn't acceptable. My dish gets all the S2, without adjusting the feed(is as first assembled in '86). DMX241 also. If feed tuning is attempted, I'd try moving the dish all the way to the last east sat, (with the actuator on the east side)and unbolt the actuator from the dish, let it swing down. Hopefully that will get the feed within reach. Adjust, then bolt the actuator back on. That way you wouldn't mess up the tune-up.

Sorry if I was not clear, but I meant the orientation of the LNB in the ring. Is there a top or bottom reference to the LNB? Thanks.

If I remember right, (too cold and blustery to look) the DMX241 has a mark on it to align horizontally when the dish is at its highest. Yep, found a pic.

Attachments

• DMX241-INSTALLED.jpg
    DMX241-INSTALLED.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 147
I think I am tracking the ARC now. I get signal from EAST to WEST, but not many stations compared to what is on THE LIST. Does this indicate an LNB orientation or FD problem? Thanks.

I removed the actuator and am going to move it to the east side of the arc like you suggested. I am also adjusting the FD. I think I had it way too long before since I did it w/o knowing anything. I am having a hard time guessing how to orient the LNB with the actuator removed. How much does this orientation matter? A lot? Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)