10 video formats that failed before HD DVD

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Interesting article. I'd forgotten some of these.

I guess FMD & HVD didn't get far enough to make the radar screen. Or maybe they weren't considered pure enough for video use, since data storage seemed to be their first love.

I don't consider the some on the list as "failures"; they were failures in homes, but as far as pro/commercial use; they were at the top of use and acceptance. U-matic & Beta come to mind.

I don't consider the some on the list as "failures"; they were failures in homes, but as far as pro/commercial use; they were at the top of use and acceptance. U-matic & Beta come to mind.

I agree. Laserdisc had a 20 year run, was supported by all studios, and pioneered (pun not intended) letterboxing, special features and director's cuts.

I would replace it with VCD, which was the 20 minute video horribly compressed onto a CD media. That lasted about a year, as it came out right before DVDs were introduced.

I think VCD is popular in Asia. And didn't Disney do some VCD releases?

Its quite possible that 5 years from now they may write another article. The 11 video formats that failed before BD did.

C'mon guys, haven't you heard?
Sony says BD will be 50% of the market by years end...:)

Diogen.

Right now BD is all we got. I hope the prices come down and it doesnt fail. That would be bad for all of us HDM fans.

Right now BD is all we got. I hope the prices come down and it doesnt fail. That would be bad for all of us HDM fans.

I have to agree with this one, I am sure the prices will drop soon.
We should see the new (low price) players released soon.

I don't think prices will come down... it will be like gas... if you need or want it , you will pay... (I really hope I am wrong on this... )

Gas prices here are 3.78$ per gallon.
We still going to pay for it :)

I own a Prius, so I'm not part of the problem.
Studies say that it takes more fuel to put a Prius together than it will burn in its lifetime. The Prius is the fission reactor of the auto industry.

The Prius is important as a proof-of-concept. Ultimately it isn't very green.

Anyone who has followed what the Europeans are doing with direct injection turbo diesels has seen the future.

Studies say that it takes more fuel to put a Prius together than it will burn in its lifetime. The Prius is the fission reactor of the auto industry.

The Prius is important as a proof-of-concept. Ultimately it isn't very green.

Sorry, but that's a BS conservative study that dares to promote otherwise. I know you're not pumping that story going around the Internet that a Hummer is less polluting than a Prius. Yes, a Prius does require some nasty stuff to be made. (Every car does.) However, it more than makes up for it over the course of its life. Plus it's designed for safe disposal at the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts