Format Perception: DVD vs. HD DVD vs. Blu-ray

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
A lot is said and quoted about the format war, potential winners/losers, comparison to the most successful format ever - DVD, etc.
All boils down to 3 primary sources: polls, expert opinions and sales numbers. And until there is a winner, all 3 can be manipulated.

Both sides seem to agree that J6P will decide this war - as with any other product - when/if he pulls out his wallet.

One of the ways to pick J6P's "piece of mind" is to look at Google Trends: no numbers, just relative interest.
Google Trends

HD vs. BD
Google Trends: Blu-ray, HD DVD
viz

An even more interesting graph: DVD vs. HD/BD
Google Trends: Blu-ray, HD DVD, dvd
viz

If there is one definite conclusion these graphs offer: interest for HD/BD is a rounding error compared to DVD.

Diogen.

EDIT:
The first graph changes when you use BD instead of Blu-ray
Google Trends: BD, HD DVD
viz

Last edited:
I don't know enough about Google trends. I assume these graphs are mapping queries with the specified terms included in the search.

If so, this would be very misleading, especially the DVD and BD terms. Blu Ray and HD DVD are fairly specific. DVD is also specific, but would be counted everytime somebody was looking for a good price on "Spider Man 3 DVD"

HD DVD and Blu Ray would be skewed toward people trying to learn about the technology and/or news about the format war. I would expect little queries on title searches since we are all early adopters and already know about sources. Therefore comparing them would be apples vs oranges.

I think BD is much too vague and would potentially show up in lots of unrelated searches, such as "Bathroom Decor", "3 bd House for sale", etc. I did a google search using BD as the search term. The first Blu Ray reference showed up on page 3 for a review of a Samsung player. Page 1 had hits for medical equipment suppliers, heavy construction equipment and even the character BD from Doonsbury.

Is there a way to link these terms to video formats in google trends?

I did a google search using BD as the search term. The first Blu Ray reference showed up on page 3 for a review of a Samsung player. Page 1 had hits for medical equipment suppliers, heavy construction equipment and even the character BD from Doonsbury.

:haha:haha:haha:haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts