LETTER TO THE EDITOR: HD DVD vs. Blu-ray

Reasons why Blu-ray is the big winner for the consumer:
(I'm sure there are others, but here's my take.)

1. More studio support gives consumers a much better selection of movies. Content is king!
2. Larger capacity of discs means more content/sound options for the consumer and makes format more "future proof." (There's no need to go online for extras when they'll all fit on the disc!)
3. PS3, the most popular and best selling of all high-def video format players, offers a wide range of entertainment options for the whole family and is getting great support in the form of upgrades from its manufacturer.
4. Better and more extensive advertising/marketing campaign has increased brand awareness, helping to ensure the longevity and success of this high-def video format.
5. Consumers have already clearly chosen which format they think is best for them by buying discs at a rate of nearly 2 to 1 over HD DVD.

Reasons why Blu-ray is the big winner for the consumer:
(I'm sure there are others, but here's my take.)

1. More studio support gives consumers a much better selection of movies. Content is king!
2. Larger capacity of discs means more content/sound options for the consumer and makes format more "future proof." (There's no need to go online for extras when they'll all fit on the disc!)
3. PS3, the most popular and best selling of all high-def video format players, offers a wide range of entertainment options for the whole family and is getting great support in the form of upgrades from its manufacturer.
4. Better and more extensive advertising/marketing campaign has increased brand awareness, helping to ensure the longevity and success of this high-def video format.
5. Consumers have already clearly chosen which format they think is best for them by buying discs at a rate of nearly 2 to 1 over HD DVD.

Can we please throw argument 2 out the window. HD-DVD has 51 gig disks. Just studios are not using them.

No. No 51 gig disk ever made it to market. And it was never conclusively established that it was readable by all existing machines.

If we were to accept 51 for HD DVD, we'd have to accept the Hitachi 100 for Blu-ray. At least the latter has a hope of making it to market, if maybe only the data storage market.

No. No 51 gig disk ever made it to market. And it was never conclusively established that it was readable by all existing machines.

If we were to accept 51 for HD DVD, we'd have to accept the Hitachi 100 for Blu-ray. At least the latter has a hope of making it to market, if maybe only the data storage market.

:confused:... dude, the triple layer disks from everything I have read are completely compatible. They were certified in November. Just no one is using them yet.

I mean it doesn't matter since the WB switch, I just don't wanna hear the BS parts of these posts anymore. I accept the fact that I will have to buy a BD player to enjoy my films soon.

Sony won, I got over that part. Did the consumer win, No. And you will have to get over that part as well.

And you will have to accept that many of us, certainly including myself, believe the consumer did in fact win. Blu-ray is more future proof. Players will come down in price for those that are more price conscious. Right now, a 2 or 3 hundred dollar difference is not a killer, certainly not for a product so early in it's life cycle. Not everyone is meant to be an early adopter.

HD DVD did not push the envelope. They pumped out the best they could as fast as they could, using current technology with as little development as possible. The BDA chose to take a path to a more advanced product, even though it would require more development and take longer to market.

Blu-ray is more future proof. .
How? Because it has more space? HDI sure seems better than Java. How about using the better more efficient video codecs Blu-ray? Get with this century will ya!
HD DVD did not push the envelope. They pumped out the best they could as fast as they could, using current technology with as little development as possible. The BDA chose to take a path to a more advanced product, even though it would require more development and take longer to market.
HD DVD came to market first and it was ready to go from the beggining. Sony marketed better and chose to include a Blu-ray player with the PS3. That really helped them. Toshiba just sat on their butt and let Blu-ray gain a huge lead.

They need that space because they chose to mostly use outdated video codecs. Why does "Pirates" need two discs? Because they need the space for the higher bit rate starved MPEG 2 and AVC.

Last edited:
How? Because it has more space? HDI sure seems better than Java. How about using the better more efficient video codecs Blu-ray? Get with this century will ya!

Why don't we just agree to disagree?

Blu-ray has greater capacity today, and greater potential capacity. It also, perhaps more importantly, has a higher transfer rate. Blu-ray uses AVC and also VC-1 (the same HD DVD uses). These two are very close in encoding efficiency. Very few titles available today coming out in MPEG-2. If any. And BTW, java is a more extensive programming language, more capable than HDi. No doubt if HD DVD would have survived, they would have increased the capabilities of HDi. Better programming tools have come available so BD-j programming is not as difficult as it once was. That seems to be the gist of it- too many HD DVD supporters refuse to believe or accept that any early "advantages" HD DVD may have had are being overcome and are no longer applicable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts