Blu Ray Vs. Hd Dvd!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
VC-1 got a major upgrade with Shrek III encoding as mentioned here
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-dvd-forum/114542-shrek-3-using-new-vc-1-encoder.html

An even bigger upgrade is planned for the beginning of 2008.
Speculation mounts that it might be the long awaited "dynamux" - dynamic allocation of bandwidth between the audio and video streams. This might require some changes in the workflow since now audio and video encoding is done by different crews...

Diogen.

OH YES!! Anything that can make ALL HIGH DEFINITION better i am for it!:D:up

However i am shocked!!:eek: Since VC-1 has been out for a wile it was not the final version!!:eek:

According to Stacey Spears, Shrek 3 was the first title using the final release of an updated VC-1 encoder; another update is coming beginning next year.
Shrek the third-Reviews? - AVS Forum

Amir offered more details what has changed...
Industry Insiders Master Q&A thread IV: ONLY Questions to Insiders - Page 73 - AVS Forum

Diogen.

Shrek the Third looks GREAT! I am hoping the next update is as nice as this one was!:hungry:

Last edited:
However i am shocked!!:eek: Since VC-1 has been out for a wile it was not the final version!!:eek:
You are confused about codec developments...
MPEG-2 (i.e. encoder) was improving for about 10 years since introduction and today is about twice as efficient as the day it came out. Remaining within the standard.
AVC when introduced (without FrExt extensions) was slow as hell and worse than MPEG-2. Today it is as least as good as VC-1, faster, and miles ahead of MPEG-2.

Both AVC and VC-1 will be improving (i.e. get updates) for years to come...

Diogen.

You are confused about codec developments...
MPEG-2 (i.e. encoder) was improving for about 10 years since introduction and today is about twice as efficient as the day it came out. Remaining within the standard.
AVC when introduced (without FrExt extensions) was slow as hell and worse than MPEG-2. Today it is as least as good as VC-1, faster, and miles ahead of MPEG-2.

Both AVC and VC-1 will be improving (i.e. get updates) for years to come...

Diogen.

Last edited by BlackHitachi : Today at 07:17 AM. Reason: I see it's an updated version. Nothing wrong with making it better!

No not confused just was still waking up.:)

I reviewed several of the BluRay vs. HD DVD images and most favored the HD DVD for having the greater detail and image sharpness except one. That was the MI-III sample where the image of BluRay seemed to be sharper and have more detail. Not sure how the author did the A/B comparison but if accurate it was a good demonstration of the slight but definite image differences. I wonder why MI-III was opposite the others I sampled? Just looked at the rest and found Flags of our Fathers was favoring BluRay for detail and sharpness too.

I reviewed several of the BluRay vs. HD DVD images and most favored the HD DVD for having the greater detail and image sharpness except one. That was the MI-III sample where the image of BluRay seemed to be sharper and have more detail. Not sure how the author did the A/B comparison but if accurate it was a good demonstration of the slight but definite image differences. I wonder why MI-III was opposite the others I sampled? Just looked at the rest and found Flags of our Fathers was favoring BluRay for detail and sharpness too.

WOW:confused: What about Face off comparison?? I looked at the eyes and beard. Most defiantly Blu ray won that!! Not saying Blu ray won all by any means justt what i saw..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)