Former HD-DVD Supporters, Do You Want BD To Fail?

db2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
MN
I'm not taking a jab here I'm actually asking this seriously. As a former HD-DVD supporter, are you now hoping that BD will fail or become nothing more than a niche format? If so, why?

Again, I'm only looking for genuine answers please.

I'm not taking a jab here I'm actually asking this seriously. As a former HD-DVD supporter, are you now hoping that BD will fail or become nothing more than a niche format? If so, why?

Nope, It's all we have now.

Sony ( I know its the BD group but Sony is A HUGE part of it) has a past record of micromanaging formats to death.

It scares the living bajesus out of me.

Especially since my PS3 purchase will coincide with FFXIII release, And I will want to be able to get movies on it. (see UMD)

Nope, It's all we have now.

Sony ( I know its the BD group but Sony is A HUGE part of it) has a past record of micromanaging formats to death.

It scares the living bajesus out of me.

Especially since my PS3 purchase will coincide with FFXIII release, And I will want to be able to get movies on it. (see UMD)
Exactly...still buying HD DVD's so it might be this fall before I go purple...(Then again when I go to Wal-mart for a replacement Dvd burner this morning, I might end up with one) ;)

I resent some of the tactics, I think they were shallow and were only used to play the media hype (like all successful hype) but no, I do not want BD to fail.

I don't think it will be as successful as DVD, not because downloads will come and wtfpwn it, but for why I personally think DVD sales are declining... there are just so many other forms of entertainment. As DVD was taking its baby steps it didn't have to compete with on demand, the proliferation of netflix and blockbuster online, satellite radio and whatever else people are doing these days. Now if 'as popular as DVD' is the metric for success, then yes Blu-Ray will be a failure. As the best form of purchasing and playing HD media with full studio support is the metric, then it's already a success and everything from here is gravy. The middle ground would be to outsell DVD for a quarter... the middle ground... which we will probably see in ____________ (enter a figure inflammatory enough for it's own thread here).

I hate that things are not smoother out the gate now that it's 'succeeded' and look forward to seeing things turn around and see the value meet the price (either by increasing the perceived value, or by decreasing the price... its much harder to do the former). Things like BD-Live as reported seem pushed out... hard not to imagine someone testing the functionality and saying 'well, that's good enough'.

Beyond all this, it's exponentially exacerbated by those bathing in the blu-kool-aid, smug and acting as if their stuff doesn't stink. It's good to be a homer, but take off the blinders from time to time and make a conversation out of it please. The HDDVD folks don't help sometimes either, that's for sure, but very few are innocent there :)

Last edited:
I'm purple, so no I don't want BD to fail, and like a previous poster stated "it's all we've got", but I still think the wrong format won from a consumer standpoint. I'll continue to buy both formats as long as the price is right but I will not pay more than $20 for any disc.

I have zero trust in Sony and if BD does break out of niche status it will be in spite them IMHO.

NightRyder

...are you now hoping that BD will fail or become nothing more than a niche format?
No.
I hope it is a success even if that means this f*ck of a company called Sony having invented a successful format for a change.

Now, my biggest question is how many posts it will take for a bluboy to come back and claim this is not what I think...:)
Shouldn't take long.

Diogen.

i think that you have a small cadre that ase bitter about what happened but that the vast majority are somewhat relieved that the "war" is over. OF course on this forum it rages on.

Not hoping anything. But it will be a niche product for a long time just as HD itself now is.

I'm purple, so no I don't want BD to fail, and like a previous poster stated "it's all we've got", but I still think the wrong format won from a consumer standpoint. I'll continue to buy both formats as long as the price is right but I will not pay more than $20 for any disc.

I have zero trust in Sony and if BD does break out of niche status it will be in spite them IMHO.

NightRyder
ditto

I dont hope it fails as what would we be left with then?

I think most people were opposed to $ony and their practices and not BD anyway...

I am a supporter of downloads and I hope it takes off...I would love to see a subsription based business model on XBL but until then...BD is our friend.

I'm still red, and building a bargain library, but I hope for BR success. I'll be there when things settle a bit more and prices drop.

...Sony ( I know its the BD group but Sony is A HUGE part of it) has a past record of micromanaging formats to death.

It scares the living bajesus out of me. ....

Yep. Worries me too. I'm banking on the other members keeping Sony from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I don't really care if it fails, I don't think it will though.

I personally will pick downloadable HD over blu-ray, so for me at least, blu-ray (and hd-dvd) are/were stop-gaps until I can have 1080p downloads.

Well... My DVD Burner died in my Htpc... I bought a Sony as a replacement ... (12x DL and also supports DVD RAM) when I pulled the old drive that came bundled with the pc... it was a Toshiba...:eek: :D

Never had good luck with Sony DVD burners.... I stick with Memorex or NEC (OEM from Newegg).

:)

LG, HP and Lite-ons only had 8x DL burning speed and didn't support DvdRam ...
Some LGs do.
Lite-On was making Sony DVDs (readers and writers) for a while. You could firmware patch them either way...

I like LGs. Since the times of the first CD readers - the quietest optical drives I ever had.

Diogen.

For all of you that think Downloads are the future in the next 10 years....What about the areas that don't even have broadband access. And I am not talking about the 2 or 3 people way out in the boonies that choose to live out there. I live in a pretty backwoods area of Illinois, but each of the towns at least have 2mb DSL service, expensive, but we have it. However, we are lucky because our telephone service is specializes in Rural service (Frontier). In the several counties just north of me, any broadband service is non-existent, not even in the towns. The phone service provided up there is Verizon, and they have pretty much said they will never provide Dsl service up there.

And forget about Cable services anywhere around here. The cable service in my town provides 36 channels of crystal clear analog service. And the other towns around have worse service than ours. BD and media you can buy at a store, watch, and store on a shelf for future use will be around for a LONG time folks. Downloads will come of age, but they will be the Niche market for at least another 20 years. By that time, There will be lots of other things that will catch my interests.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)