BD or HD DVD

maxkil41

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Good Morning Everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing a BD or HD DVD player. I only have enough money to get one. Which one should I pick? Would it be better if I waited?

Thanks, I hope everyone has a great day.

In light of the recent announcements from Time Warner dropping HD-DVD and Paramount possibly having a way out of their deal they struck with HD-DVD last year, I would say go Blu-Ray.

The PS3 receives a lot of good praise for its Blu-ray playback...

Yes I own a PS3, first and foremost for HD movie viewing. You might get sucked into gaming with the PS3, though. I've been reconverted into a gamer again...and my wife would say that's a bad thing! :eek:

Agreed. At this point (with over 70% of studio support, and rumored to be more coming, near 100%) for Blu-Ray, HD-DVD does not seem a wise investment.

It's a terrible shame as HD-DVD players are reasonable in price while Blu-Ray costs a fortune. I don't see any BLuRay players under 200 coming anytime soon. Because of this it will stay a Geek toy for quite a while.

Yes I own a PS3, first and foremost for HD movie viewing. You might get sucked into gaming with the PS3, though. I've been reconverted into a gamer again...and my wife would say that's a bad thing! :eek:

Exact same thing happened to me. Unfortunately for BDA, I'm spending more on games than movies now. (1 new release game = 2-3 BD movies) Fortunately for me, GF was the one that bought me my favorite and most played game, Ratchet & Clank. :)

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing a BD or HD DVD player. I only have enough money to get one. Which one should I pick? Would it be better if I waited?

Thanks, I hope everyone has a great day.

At this point I think your safe not waiting and going with BD. If you want the most movies you can get in HD, BD will have the larger offering. If you'd have asked this last month I woulda told you to wait.

I recommend the PS3 because they continue to upgrade it. If you feel you like some of the upcoming HDDVD movies, you can always pickup a A2 on ebay for cheap later.

At this point I think your safe not waiting and going with BD. If you want the most movies you can get in HD, BD will have the larger offering. If you'd have asked this last month I woulda told you to wait.

I recommend the PS3 because they continue to upgrade it. If you feel you like some of the upcoming HDDVD movies, you can always pickup a A2 on ebay for cheap later.

I agree with that, too. Honestly, I would get both if I were you. If you can afford a PS3 (which also plays DivX and WMV files), you can also afford a cheap A2 to rent HD-DVD's. There are quite a few movies that Warner, Universal and Paramount (e.g., Casablanca, Pride and Prejudice and Top Gun) never released on Blu-Ray and likely never will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)