100.2 Sudden Death

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

solstars

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
1000.2 Sudden Death

Happy new year to everyone! It wouldn't be a new year without a new problem. :) My VIP 722 started popping up with "partial signal loss" messages on tuner #2 yesterday afternoon. I was on the same channel as tuner #1, but #1 was working fine.

After a bit, the channel came back on tuner #2, but was noisy and obviously suffering from signal loss. Some time later, tuner #1 stated showing the same signal loss message. I did a reset on the receiver and noticed that I can only see the 110 West sat regardless of which sat is selected in setup.

This all started after a sudden temperature drop. It seems that as the temp dropped, the problem got worse. Today, I still have only a few channels available and can only see 110. Selecting either 119 or 129 only results in "Wrong Sat - Echostar 110 West" being displayed, but the signal level on 110 is good.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this? I know there were some cold weather issues with certain Winegard LNBFs, but I though those were only on the Direct systems. I replaced my old Dish 500 in April, so this 1000.2 has not yet seen a cold Colorado winter. I have had zero issues with it until today.

I don't know if those LNBFs have died, but it seems more like the internal switch may not be working. Could it have frozen up? I only have the one VIP722 connected to a single coax RG-6 run that is about 20 feet long. My Dish is down low so I thought about puling the LNB unit and bringing it inside to warm up for a bit. Am I wasting my time on this? Should I be looking at something else?

We had some snow (just a couple of inches) and no wind. We do have some cloud cover, but not enough to totally block 2 sats. The bitter cold is what I suspect.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me!

Last edited:
Update: Brought the LNB in for a bit, put it back and all now works perfectly. I don't know if it was the warmth or just the act of removing power for a while that fixed it. Either way, it looks like I need to replace my LNBF unit. :( Does anyone know of these having cold weather issues? Is there a better aftermarket LNBF pack for this antenna?

If you pull the LNB assembly, you could easily select a different output port...

I put it back using the same configuration (connected to port 1), so it's not the port. If it fails again, and I'm sure it will, I'll switch to port 2 or 3. I don't know if that's going to make any difference. Odd that it didn't do this until the temp got low.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with the receiver. A 301 on port 2 exhibited the same problem. Problem only resolved after warming the LNB. It cut out again a little while ago... connected 722 coax to port 2 and no go. Connected 722 back to port one and a 301 to port 2. 301 reports switch error. Removed LNB again and brought in to warm up. Reconnected 722 back to port 1 - works. Connect 722 to port 2 - works. Connected 722 to port 1 and 301 to port 2 - both work. This is absolutely temperature related and it seems that this LNB has some type of problem.

I would still like to know what to replace it with. A quick web search shows me just the OEM replacement, which would be fine as long as I know these don't have temperature problems. I'm sure there are many others using these same LNBs that are in cold climates. If some could chime in, that would be great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)