100% Illegal or grey area?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thecowssaidmoo

Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Hello, here's my question. I live in south Florida. My brother lives in NY and has directv. I want to install a DT dish in my home and have my brother just call DT and add and pay for a second receiver to his account. This way I would be able to see my hometown sports teams. I'm not sure the legality of this, I don't think it is the same as stealing DT outright, but it is kinda of in the gray zone. Is this a crime that they pursue?
thecowssaidmoo

Hello, here's my question. I live in south Florida. My brother lives in NY and has directv. I want to install a DT dish in my home and have my brother just call DT and add and pay for a second receiver to his account. This way I would be able to see my hometown sports teams. I'm not sure the legality of this, I don't think it is the same as stealing DT outright, but it is kinda of in the gray zone. Is this a crime that they pursue?
thecowssaidmoo
Account stacking is not allowed by contract. Service is provided to a specific address. A separate account would be needed for a second address. As for receiving the NY sports teams, that would depend on how D* delivers them. If they are on a spotbeam, South Florida would not be able to receive them.

So i it something I should worry about and avoid? Do they really go after the little guy with one stacked receiver? :)

So i it something I should worry about and avoid? Do they really go after the little guy with one stacked receiver? :)

Hey you asked about the legality! They might not come after you but it isa flagrant violation of the agreement. They tend to look the other way at moving one receiver to a vacation home but this is something altogether different.

I suspect you would get YES,MSG etc but games on the local channels might be problematic.

well I'll give it a try. I really don't want to go to prison or have my brother lose his account over a few bucks, but saving some extra bucks sounds good too. Thanks for your help

You might want to make sure that your personal info is not posted in the site. Someone who works for D or E might be checking you out. They have spies in here you know

thecowssaidmoo
You can put the new receiver in his RV then park it at your house! You can also get a phone line waiver if you need it... I see hundreds of full time RVer's with PO box "street" addresses that will not work for E* or D* and that is what they have to do. The provider may insist on delivering the system to the RV, to keep it legal.

I have neither, and do not need or want them as I went legal FTA with Glorystar in my motor home.

well I'll give it a try. I really don't want to go to prison or have my brother lose his account over a few bucks, but saving some extra bucks sounds good too. Thanks for your help

Have you considered paying for a valid account and then "moving" the service address to that "garage apartment" behind your brothers house? Both carriers seem to be turning a blind eye toward that sort of thing. That way you are paying on a legal account.

There are actually two things being discussed here. One is the logistics and ethics of receiving OOM sports and locals. Don't have a problem with that.

The other is the ethics and how to get away with stealing services. I believe we have answered that question by now in that stacking is illegal. Personally, I don't feel comfortable condoning theft of services or even letting it remain on the table here. Satelliteguys does not condone or allow discussions of any form of theft of services, be it stacking, piracy, or whatever.

There are actually two things being discussed here. One is the logistics and ethics of receiving OOM sports and locals. Don't have a problem with that.

The other is the ethics and how to get away with stealing services. I believe we have answered that question by now in that stacking is illegal. Personally, I don't feel comfortable condoning theft of services or even letting it remain on the table here. Satelliteguys does not condone or allow discussions of any form of theft of services, be it stacking, piracy, or whatever.

No more talk about ways to steal service. Its illegal; and is not condoned. Any additional posts on that will be deleted.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)