100% local coverage

Dish claims 100% local coverage because they are giving all the local stations the space to be carried. Now, if the local station wants to withhold their signal for money or other contract issues it is not really Dish's fault. If every station had a deal in place with Dish then they would all be carried. It took a lot of new satellites for Dish to build out the capacity to carry all the markets.

As far as significantely viewed/distants goes, Dish had the right, but then lost it because they were giving signals to people that should not have had them. The new law gives Dish the right back after they satisfy conditions. Dish now has to wait for the Courts to decide they have met the conditions and allow them to provide SV again.

Station disagreements happen all the time. If the locals had their way, they would probably want $10 per sub/month, or more.

by saying the have 100
% local coverage, they are implying htey carry all local stations.
this is the part i have problems with
they should reword it.

or place a disclaimer

but "100% local coverage with exeption sin some areas"
just doesnt have that ring to it
they are using the term 100% to lure people in
its bait pure and simple

Good question Iceberg........ I'm curious to know what the real answer is......

Is it a legal reason awaiting some further court action........ or as you stated the Sig Viewed issue?
I thought it was the SV thing because most of the imported stations were not SV in the whole DMA

Is there anyway to know for sure whether DISH is even pursuing providing the missing channels for those of us in the short markets?
The stations are uplinked but not turned on yet. If I remember, you're waiting on Dothan CBS? The issue with your area (it was discussed in another thread) that the 2 furthest east counties in your DMA the CBS is from Talahassee as SV not Dothan. So Dish has some hoops to finish going through. Same with Dothan. A few counties do not qualify the PC NBC as Sig Viewed.

See the attached pic. I boxed around the 2 DMA's. If you notice, the SV station for the other market is there but not turned on yet

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 110
is that what is holding everything up? I thought it was because in some of those areas the whole DMA it isnt Sig Viewed

I'm guessing thats what it is, I haven't kept up the whole court docs or anything. But I would say this is true since the markets that were offered since 1/1/2010 have the fill ins, but others they had before have not been filled in yet. For instance the Lafayette, LA market is missing an NBC, they duplicated the NBC from the adjoining market(same beam) but have not made it available yet.

by saying the have 100
% local coverage, they are implying htey carry all local stations.
this is the part i have problems with
they should reword it.

or place a disclaimer

but "100% local coverage with exeption sin some areas"
just doesnt have that ring to it
they are using the term 100% to lure people in
its bait pure and simple

That is YOUR opinion.
MY opinion is that 100% means all DMA's not channels(networks)

That is YOUR opinion.
MY opinion is that 100% means all DMA's not channels(networks)

under either intpretation its not true, as salisbury dma has NO (none, zero, ziltch, nada) locals available.

just the out of area nbc affiliate from oer 100 miles away (as the bird flys distance)

not sure where you at, but do you htink peopl ein DC would consider baltimore stations local (similar distance)

but even if we use your example they still arent at 100%

Salisbury, MD has only PBS as their "local"....the NBC is imported and the other 3 have a dispute
Another one is Greenville, MS (I think thats the town)..they only have one local + PBS and a distant. The other 2 locals are disputed right now

so its kinda cheesy to say "yeah we got 100% locals coverage" when there are missing markets. But using that fuzzy E* math like 200 :rolleyes: HD channels what do you expect?

Salisbury, MD has only PBS as their "local"....the NBC is imported and the other 3 have a dispute
Another one is Greenville, MS (I think thats the town)..they only have one local + PBS and a distant. The other 2 locals are disputed right now

so its kinda cheesy to say "yeah we got 100% locals coverage" when there are missing markets. But using that fuzzy E* math like 200 :rolleyes: HD channels what do you expect?

That I agree with they shouldn't say 100% until all markets are covered.

Finally got a response back from the twitter people and they said "They are aware of this and are working to get approval for the remaining stations"

What kind of approval are they refering to?

Finally got a response back from the twitter people and they said "They are aware of this and are working to get approval for the remaining stations"

What kind of approval are they refering to?

they need to reach a financial arangement with the locals.
the negotiations are over 5 years old, soooo someone is not budging

under either intpretation its not true, as salisbury dma has NO (none, zero, ziltch, nada) locals available.

just the out of area nbc affiliate from oer 100 miles away (as the bird flys distance)

not sure where you at, but do you htink peopl ein DC would consider baltimore stations local (similar distance)

I agree with you Mdram! Someone should go to court and get DishNetwork for false advertising!
On a side note: I'm still upset because their website is showing Playboy HD on channel 488 since January when the channel does not even exist, let alone carrying it! (I've chatted about this issue on here already, ITS NOT NEW) I reported the problem and inquired about it numerous times with Dish via telephone, email, and in person and do you think it’s been resolved? Heck NO. No one can tell me why it's website shows one thing and what’s “really” there is another. If I had the money, energy, and time… I would hit them!

I thought it was the SV thing because most of the imported stations were not SV in the whole DMA

The stations are uplinked but not turned on yet. If I remember, you're waiting on Dothan CBS? The issue with your area (it was discussed in another thread) that the 2 furthest east counties in your DMA the CBS is from Talahassee as SV not Dothan. So Dish has some hoops to finish going through. Same with Dothan. A few counties do not qualify the PC NBC as Sig Viewed.

See the attached pic. I boxed around the 2 DMA's. If you notice, the SV station for the other market is there but not turned on yet

I'm curious to know why the whole SV thing and Court issue seems to only apply to DISH?

If I understand correctly, DIRECT TV offers the Dothan AL DMA the Big 4, and the missing NBC station in Dothan is WNBC.

There are no Locals at all from DIRECT TV in the Panama City DMA.

How does DIRECT TV get to offer WNBC to Dothan but DISH has to go through all these SV and Court hoops?

Back in 06 dish lost a court case to provide distants/sig viewed/any local that is not a local in your market.

They lost it because they were still giving distants to folks who either
-didnt qualify properly
-had both locals and distants. The rule was if you had locals you didnt qualify for distants yet Dish still allowed folks to have both. I was one of them. At our cabin we qualified legally for all nets but CBS but we also could get the Minneapolis locals. So at one time I had Mpls locals and 2 sets of NBC, ABC, FOX from a few cities

So for 4 years Dish couldnt sell ANY station outside of your local market. They are just now being able to but one thing attached to STELA was new markets (after 1/1/10) as long as the station they import was sig viewed in the whole market they can add it. Any local market before that there are some other hoops

Directv didnt break that rule. If locals were available, new subs could only get locals. Folks who had distants were grandfathered if they wanted them. If they switched to locals they lost the distants

So simple rule...Directv played by the distant rules, Dish didnt

If I understand correctly, DIRECT TV offers the Dothan AL DMA the Big 4, and the missing NBC station in Dothan is WNBC.

There are no Locals at all from DIRECT TV in the Panama City DMA.

looks like you're right

Dothan gets in HD on D*
CBS 4
ABC 18
FOX 34
NBC 12 says "NBC" (no call sign)
CW and My in SD
National PBS

looks like you're right

Dothan gets in HD on D*
CBS 4
ABC 18
FOX 34
NBC 12 says "NBC" (no call sign)
CW and My in SD
National PBS

Thats the confusing part to me? On the "D" website it says that Dothan gets there NBC from WNBC..... that would be NYC.

As we know there is no local NBC for Dothan, there SV local would be WJHG from Panama City, and thats only SV for some of the counties in the Dothan DMA.

So "D" somehow gets to provide WNBC to the whole DMA, and doesn't have to bother with the whole SV and Court issue...... thats the confusing part....."D" can provide WNBC...... and "E" cannot...... and thats for someone who signs up for "D" today.....no grandfathering.....????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)