100+ National HD Channels?

Over 100 national HD channels by end of year plus award-winning technology! You don't want to miss out!" to an email that includes a list of HD channels that specifically EXCLUDES the types of channels you mention -- Premiums, RSNs, etc.

Well, that makes it look like they are going to add 50 more channels. :D

Basically, RSNs shouldn't count. They just aren't on most of the time, and when they are, they aren't available to most people. But DirecTV counts them, so DISH should be able to in their ads. Premiums absolutely should count, though.

Note that they've changed their message to OVER 100. Here's what I bet their up to. I counted 42 SD channels already on DISH that should have HD versions available by the end of the year. A few of those are strictly in wild rumor territory, but most of them are already up or will be soon.

There are a few more that aren't available in SD at all (Wealth, Mojo) and some that aren't carried in their SD versions (HBO Zone, Fuel).

IF there was enough bandwidth (which there is not at this time), there really could be 100 national channels available. Never mind how much actual HD there is on those channels. (That's an issue that will continue to get better over time.)

I think their goal is to really get as many REAL national HD channels on by the end of the year as possible. If they don't reach 100, then they add the RSNs back in and BOOM...100+

Last edited:
There are more HD channels available out there that Dish currently does not carry (Speed, Fox News, Mojo, etc.) and more that are "coming soon" that have not yet launched (BBC America comes to mind). Any of them could be added by year's end, in addition to more movie channels or PPV channels, to put Dish closer to the 100 channel goal.

IMO they need to work on their pricing structure, maybe including some of the basic HD channels in their SD packs. This could help drive customers to upgrade and speed up the phase-out of MPEG2 equipment.

There are more HD channels available out there that Dish currently does not carry (Speed, Fox News, Mojo, etc.) and more that are "coming soon" that have not yet launched

Like I said...there's at least 42 and I might be missing a few. That's NOT including Mojo and other channels that don't have SD versions, or channels that DISH doesn't carry (Fuel)

IMO they need to work on their pricing structure, maybe including some of the basic HD channels in their SD packs. This could help drive customers to upgrade and speed up the phase-out of MPEG2 equipment.

But if they did that, they wouldn't be able to charge a $7 "HD Enabling Fee". :rolleyes:

If they would stop charging me extra for Voom, I'd be fine... :D

Unless Direct offers something to counter Dish's DVR's with dual outputs, I probably won't ever switch. I really like having the ability to watch two different things on different TV's in the house with only one receiver.

How many threads are you going to put this post into? This is at least the 3rd one I have found. :rolleyes:

Keep going!! I have not heard it enough!!! The loss of true HD channels should PISS everyone off!!!

Voom was the real deal people!! What you have now is channels with HD logos with very little content in true HD.

Dish has pulled a fast one over all of us Subs.

You should be mad as hell over this..I am!!

So, for the people who say..enough already...Im sorry, this needs to heard over and over again.

Dish SCREWED US!

Keep going!! I have not heard it enough!!! The loss of true HD channels should PISS everyone off!!!

Voom was the real deal people!! What you have now is channels with HD logos with very little content in true HD.

So, for the people who say..enough already...Im sorry, this needs to heard over and over again.

Dish SCREWED US!

I also agree. Continue to speak up if your angry about it. Don't let someone tell you their tired of hearing it. If you are, don't read the thread, or skip the post.

I was pissed with Dish and left for Direct. I made a good choice.

Unless Direct offers something to counter Dish's DVR's with dual outputs, I probably won't ever switch. I really like having the ability to watch two different things on different TV's in the house with only one receiver.

Not only that, but I split the TV2 output to feed our main TV so that when my wife wants to watch one of her shows, we watch split screen with one of us wearing wireless headphones (TV2 output). This works well for our 46" while watching SD programming. Each feed is basically like a 19" and at that size, SD is not too bad. I won't do this for HD stuff...

I also agree. Continue to speak up if your angry about it. Don't let someone tell you their tired of hearing it. If you are, don't read the thread, or skip the post.

I was pissed with Dish and left for Direct. I made a good choice.

I do skip Voom threads, but Voomers keep hijacking other threads as well. Can we get an official I want Voom back thread, sticky it, and keep the convo locked there?

:rolleyes:Cantonsurround sound wrote: "drop dish!"

My question: why would you have dish if you are advocating dropping it? I have Dish because I have been happy with the variety of programming (except for not having locals in HD). My only experience with DirecTv was back when their signal was suffering from over-compression, which resulted in signal break-up and macro-blocking, but I understand from reading this forum they've taken care of that problem with their new sats. Dish will probably do the same in less time than it took D* to resolve its problems.

I too am sending Dish over $120 per month, but its my choice. I have so many HD channels now I can't watch all the programming I'd like to--what with all the sports channels plus HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, SciFi, etc. What I'm looking for now is CBS C HD, SpeedHD, and my locals in HD. (Plus FX and TCM.) But that's just more variety.

This is America. Be happy. Do what you want. Go to DirecTv or Comcast if it makes you happy, or stay with Dish. Or buy a bigger TV; that's what I really want to do but can't bring myself to shell out the dough. But whose problem is that? Mine.:rolleyes: Inability to fire.

Fitzie
Very well said! Amen!!

I do skip Voom threads, but Voomers keep hijacking other threads as well. Can we get an official I want Voom back thread, sticky it, and keep the convo locked there?

that's a good idea. like the no new hd thread. i agree people have the right to talk about voom but the opinions on this matter are scattered all over the place.

Dish SCREWED US!

Very well said.:up:up
For those of us paying $120+ a month and just got screwed, it's natural to question and think of moving on. Talking about it is appropriate here and else where. Voomers have a legit reason more so than the "SciFi, USA give to me or I'll leave", people.

Very well said.:up:up
For those of us paying $120+ a month and just got screwed, it's natural to question and think of moving on. Talking about it is appropriate here and else where. Voomers have a legit reason more so than the "SciFi, USA give to me or I'll leave", people.

If VOOM were offered ala carte, how much would you honestly pay? Can't see paying more than a premium or even that much.

If VOOM were offered ala carte, how much would you honestly pay? Can't see paying more than a premium or even that much.

It WAS offered A-La-Carte, and it was $5

Why on earth would you "pay more than a premium?" The whole tier it was on was only $10 and includes other stuff.

It WAS offered A-La-Carte, and it was $5

Why on earth would you "pay more than a premium?" The whole tier it was on was only $10 and includes other stuff.

The a-la-carte option was before it was folded into the 'Ultimate' package'. I was asking him what he thought was reasonable for VOOM, since his post implied that losing VOOM constituted a large loss from his $120+/month. I wouldn't pay more than a premium and I said as much.

I am getting tired of having to clear up confusion or misinformation:

1. Direct does not and never has counted sports packages as part of their HD count (EI channels are not included in the count for example).

Be careful what ya say there, Direct as the main people may not say that, but boy do their reps, those guys are so clueless and include everything, heck I was told when I went to direct for 2 months, that I would get all these HD channels they said they had and I missed alot of em, so I dropped them like a 2 dollar hooker:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)