1000.2 to 20 receivers install

E*Dude

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
What is the best way to attach a 1000.2 to 20 receivers? I'm helping someone with a huge install and we're trying to determine the best plan. We considered using a single 1000.2 dish with a S3 Sonora (http://www.sonoradesign.com/images/sheet_S3_Hubs.pdf) and 5x DPP44's. Is this the best way, or is there a better, more economical approach?

What is the best way to attach a 1000.2 to 20 receivers? I'm helping someone with a huge install and we're trying to determine the best plan. We considered using a single 1000.2 dish with a S3 Sonora (http://www.sonoradesign.com/images/sheet_S3_Hubs.pdf) and 5x DPP44's. Is this the best way, or is there a better, more economical approach?

Yeah, this is about the best way to do it. You could save a few sheckles by using DP34 switches instead, but that limits you to single tuner boxes. With this kind of setup, I'd recommend using duals instead of a 1000.2 LNBF. Is this residential or an apartment? If it's an apartment, or similar situation, I'd recommend 3 Dish 500s with the single "I" brackets and DP Duals. This will give you maximum gain, and minimize rain fade issues.

DP duals could also feed two banks of DPP44 switches without the S3x3 Sonora. I've also seen a diagram of DP duals feeding into DP splitters to feed four banks of switches for 48 receivers. Or, you could use two 1000.2s to feed two banks of switches. I wonder if the DP splitters will work with the DPP LNBs for feeding dual switch banks? I haven't seen a diagram for that but it might work.

I wonder if the DP splitters will work with the DPP LNBs for feeding dual switch banks? I haven't seen a diagram for that but it might work.

That's an idea, but don't you mean separators?

That's an idea, but don't you mean separators?

No, there is a Dish part called DP Splitter that is for sending the bandstacked output of a DP LNB to two switches (or two receivers if you are using a single orbital). I think any 2250mhz splitter that passes power on one side is the same thing.

Last edited:
the splitters are a good idea because no diseqc is needed to the dual only to the 44 but then again if your taking that much time to figure that out couldn't you just run two lines?

You can't use a DP splitter with DPP, the bandtranslating will get all screwed up, it might work for a little while but it will burn out. The most stable way to do this is the 1000.2 with the W bracket and 3 DP duals, or if you got the space 3 500 dishes, one for each orbital.

For an apartment or commercial bldg 3 individual dishes, big ones such as as the 1-meter Winegard will eliminate rain fade in all but the strongest storms. Signal will stay in longer & come back sooner. Contrary to myth, amplifiers do not help with rain fade, you first have to have signal to drive them. Bigger dish = greater capture area; The 1-meter Winegard has 4x the capture area of an 18" dish, giving you 6 db gain over std Dish 500. DP34's are normally fine for commercial jobs as you rarely run into dual tuners. Residential is another matter.

Commercial & apartments you'll also need plenum-rated coax. I'd run RG11 Quad from the dishes and between all the switches.

You can't use a DP splitter with DPP, the bandtranslating will get all screwed up, it might work for a little while but it will burn out. The most stable way to do this is the 1000.2 with the W bracket and 3 DP duals, or if you got the space 3 500 dishes, one for each orbital.

No band translating is going on unless a DPP receiver is directly connected to the splitter or LNB. The DPP LNB will output just like duals by default, but does pull more power.

Perhaps you should read what was written a bit closer. Nobody is talking about using splitters with DPP. Splitters do not work after the switch. We are discussing the common commercial application of using DP Singles (or Duals) with 1 meter dishes. (usually 3 or 4 dishes depending on the amount of orbitals needed) then putting a HF splitter AFTER each Single (or Dual) and BEFORE the switch in order to run a large bank of switches. (Usually more than can be supported via trunking.) This is common practice in commercial applications. It works because you are splitting the feed from a single location which is bandstacked (not translated) BEFORE the switch.

No band translating is going on unless a DPP receiver is directly connected to the splitter or LNB. The DPP LNB will output just like duals by default, but does pull more power.

Exactly. Which is why in the commercial application, you don't use any kind of unit with an integrated switch (like a twin or triple) Unless, of course, you want trouble. :D

If you're not going to be using dual tuners and don't need DPP then using 34 switches would be more economical anyway and you don't need to worry about power inserters with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)