Troch77

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
Southern PA
Okay I was bored and decided to take my 2nd 1000+ International dish Reflector and 1000.4 EA and make the 1000.5

Of course the only parts from the 1.4k I could use was the Mast , LNB, LNB Feed arm.

I had to use the Skew and Elevation mount from the 1000+

Now I could have used the LNB feed arm from the 1K plus dish which was also about 2 inches longer, but it would need some small mods in order to use the Plastic LNB holder on the feed arm.
And a Notch cut in it for the wires to the LNB.
But saving that for the future test.

But the result was another 4-7 point again across the 61.5 another 3-5 across the board on the 72.

So my next test will be to see if those numbers will increase or decrease with the longer feed arm .
But here are a few pics.
Sorry it was dark when I finished.

f6e39cd2ea21a379cc815b9168c0de04.jpg

372a29b155bb3229199cd6c9bf3e97ef.jpg

65b4be0d6ea5f96e4e2804939cb6c258.jpg

Rain Fade should be greatly reduced, soon I'll try with a 1000.2 EA LNB and see what results it yields.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

What's mind blowing is I don't understand why Dish continues to use such a small dish, when clearly bigger is better.
The Plus Dish is Still smaller then the Directv Slimline.

The weakest TP on the 61.5 was TP8, that was 40 peaked with an EA2 dish using a Super Buddy 29.
Then switching to the 1.4k EA dish another Increase
To 46 on TP 8.
Then the 500 Plus dish
52 now on TP 8 using the feed arm from the 1.4k.

Same results on the 72.7.
TP 14 another recommended low TP for peaking went from a decent 49-58 from EA2-1.5K dish setup.
Very interesting indeed.

I really like what you're doing. I am wanting to do stuff like that to my own dish. There is some unused dishes in the hood here that are on poles with the coax just cut off. They are pretty big, about 3 feet across the oval. A long arm on it and an LNB that looks like 6-8" long metal box with an eye facing the dish. I have no idea what they were for though. They don't look very old either. The dish face is metal also. I was thinking about talking the owners out of it.

Reactions: navychop
I really like what you're doing. I am wanting to do stuff like that to my own dish. There is some unused dishes in the hood here that are on poles with the coax just cut off. They are pretty big, about 3 feet across the oval. A long arm on it and an LNB that looks like 6-8" long metal box with an eye facing the dish. I have no idea what they were for though. They don't look very old either. The dish face is metal also. I was thinking about talking the owners out of it.
If you need some tips , just ask, I have all 3 dishes, and 3 different lnbs.

Reactions: ralfyguy
Thanks for the offer. I just wish that I could mount my dish on a pole on the ground just like they did, but there is absolutely no way to get LOS in my back yard. LOL

Thanks for the offer. I just wish that I could mount my dish on a pole on the ground just like they did, but there is absolutely no way to get LOS in my back yard. LOL
Yes it's nice and easy when the dish is low to the ground.
My next test will be putting the EA.2 Hybrid lnb on this 1.5k dish.
I don't see this being very difficult.
Just have to keep a look out for another 1.2k dish.

I'll take some more close up daytime pictures.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes it's nice and easy when the dish is low to the ground.
My next test will be putting the EA.2 Hybrid lnb on this 1.5k dish.
I don't see this being very difficult.
Just have to keep a look out for another 1.2k dish.

I'll take some more close up daytime pictures.

Can't wait to see the result. I think that dish I saw is a Hughesnet dish BTW. I really want it and mess with it. But it's really big and is mounted on a 2"+ steel pole. I have nowhere to put that on my house. I'm surrounded by tall trees to the south.
But still, it would be a nice challenge to turn this into a dish setup.

Reactions: Troch77
Can't wait to see the result. I think that dish I saw is a Hughesnet dish BTW. I really want it and mess with it. But it's really big and is mounted on a 2"+ steel pole. I have nowhere to put that on my house. I'm surrounded by tall trees to the south.
But still, it would be a nice challenge to turn this into a dish setup.
Let me add, that all my wires are RG6, solid copper core , all compression F- connectors.
All my coax runs are anywhere from 50 feet, to 150 feet.

And I had my first rain fade comparison between the EA2 and 1.5K and let me say I was quite impressed.
The EA2 went out totally on the 61.5, and the 1.5k never went out just some minor pixel-ing at the peak of the storm the other night.

Signal level was 28 on 1.5K, 72 was 30.
EA2 was complete signal loss across the board.

Now with that in mind, since the plus dish almost went out, there is no doubt in my mind that the EA 1.4k would have definitely went out as well.

So if I had to compare the EA2 vs the 1.4k I wouldn't waste any money on making a swap between those thinking you are going to drastically improve the signal.
They are basically the same very minor difference.

But I can confirm the 1.5k does in fact with stand a bit more rain fade.
Especially on the 61.5 where most of your local weather emergency services come from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Let me add, that all my wires are RG6, solid copper core , all compression F- connectors.
All my coax runs are anywhere from 50 feet, to 150 feet.

And I had my first rain fade comparison between the EA2 and 1.5K and let me say I was quite impressed.
The EA2 went out totally on the 61.5, and the 1.5k never went out just some minor pixel-ing at the peak of the storm the other night.

Signal level was 28 on 1.5K, 72 was 30.
EA2 was complete signal loss across the board.

Now with that in mind, since the plus dish almost went out, there is no doubt in my mind that the EA 1.4k would have definitely went out as well.

So if I had to compare the EA2 vs the 1.4k I wouldn't waste any money on making a swap between those thinking you are going to drastically improve the signal.
They are basically the same very minor difference.

But I can confirm the 1.5k does in fact with stand a bit more rain fade.
Especially on the 61.5 where most of your local weather emergency services come from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Another example that sometimes size does matter. LOL

So I remember that one of the dishes had like support struts for mounting because of it's size. Is that on yours?

Another question I have is does the mounting hole pattern on a 1000+ reflector not match the pattern on a 1k2 reflector? I thought the 1k2 and 1k4 only differ in the LNBF.

None of the holes match on all 3 systems.
But the 1.4k and plus Dish share the same type of Elevation and Skew mount, so you can exchange the reflectors mounting brackets.

But the 1.2k is completely different.
So actually the 1000+ and 1.4k are similar.
But none of them can interchange all their parts.

You would have to do a lot of mods to make the EA2 Lnb work.
I have yet to do that.

My 1.4k had struts, but I used the newer mount, so it's not really required.
Newer mount is much shorter, and since my dish points almost completely straight ahead the larger mount wasn't needed.

The 1000+dish had struts and I did use them.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: ralfyguy
Nice, I saw another poster too with one, I think he was Trying the EA2 on his 1000.5, But not sure what ever came of it.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Dah-Henny
But the 1.4k and plus Dish share the same type of Elevation and Skew mount, so you can exchange the reflectors mounting brackets.

I have yet to do that.

Newer mount is much shorter, and since my dish points almost completely straight ahead the larger mount wasn't needed.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Thanks for that info. I am on the WA 1k2 dish and just really wanted to try a bigger reflector on it to see if I can improve the rain fade as here in Oklahoma we are getting into storm season again. That is really an issue around here. Not that my dish isn't peaked real good, in fact the tech that installed my H3 a few weeks back asked me if I really installed that myself, because the numbers were maxed out as good as it's gonna get he said. Nevertheless I was toying with the idea to put a bigger reflector, because even those numbers are not good enough in stormy season here.

I have yet to do that.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I'm not sure where you are located in southern PA but I'm 10 miles east of the Philly airport
and I have what I consider good signal strength with a 1000.2 eastern arc LNBF Hybrid.
50 and 53 respectively on 61.5 and 72 satellites.

I'm not sure where you are located in southern PA but I'm 10 miles east of the Philly airport
and I have what I consider good signal strength with a 1000.2 eastern arc LNBF Hybrid.
50 and 53 respectively on 61.5 and 72 satellites.
Considered by Dish.

What TPs are you pulling your numbers from?
TP 8 on the 61.5, and TP 14 On the 72 are the ones that are supposed to be peaked.
At least in our area.
Don't know if it's different in other places, as I've never tried a different Zip code in the Super Buddy.

But again , I'm using a Super Buddy 29 meter.
Not the Hopper signal screen.
And they are also 8psk TP.

Which by some here claim they are lower standard, but yet the 8psk on the 110 and 119 are much higher.
So again there is a lot of information that's claimed, that I've disproved with my own test.

You can install thousands of dishs, But unless you are taking apart systems and actually comparing them , then that thousands mean nothing to me at all.

By the way I'm Just outside of Allentown.
We also have a house near Lake Wallenpaupack.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)