10600 vs 10750

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alsfta

Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Hi All,

I have a unversal (foretech) lnb running on skystar2 with a winegard 30". When I use the universal lnb I can only pick up an sr of 20000 and I only seem to be able to pick up the echostar birds (119W & 110W). Is there a differece between my two lnbs in regards to the channels or the satellites they can pick up? I realize they run at different freg. and have no problem switching them in the software (setup4pc). Naturally only interested in FTA channels. I aquired an old Dish lnb (runs at 10750) and when I use this the signal is lower (45) but I do manage to get E121W which is what I really want.

Help! :(

PSB said:
The Dish/DBS LNB L.O. must be 11250
and the Universal/KU LNBF L.O. is 09750-10600

Hope this helps.

The Universal LNBF will get you most FTA KU channels
And with the DBS you can expect to get the below....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=25452

That is interesting. Howcome the LO frequency for the linear LNB is the range you specify. Usually the LO is 10750 with standard LNB's. Is this a function of using a universal LNB? :confused:

A Universal LNB requires a 22kHz tone at 0.5v p-p to switch its Local Oscillator to 10.6GHz ("high band"). Otherwise it uses its 9.75GHz oscillator.

Polarity switching is controlled by dc voltage supplied by the receiver. 12.5v to 14.5v gives vertical and 15.5 to 18v gives horizontal polarisation. A higher voltage than that can damage the LNB. A voltage that is too low will prevent the LNB from working correctly.

PSB said:
A Universal LNB requires a 22kHz tone at 0.5v p-p to switch its Local Oscillator to 10.6GHz ("high band"). Otherwise it uses its 9.75GHz oscillator.

Polarity switching is controlled by dc voltage supplied by the receiver. 12.5v to 14.5v gives vertical and 15.5 to 18v gives horizontal polarisation. A higher voltage than that can damage the LNB. A voltage that is too low will prevent the LNB from working correctly.

Pete -- Thanks -- It is LOCAL Osc. Frequency, isn't it :) Seems to me there are one or two sats that require a universal LNB (G4R ??). I presume the universal will also work with all the regular sats in addition.

Nothing much KU FTA on G4R, and a Universal is not really required for anything there. The only real benefit I have seen with a Universal LNBF is I can pick up Cubavision on the Pas 9 satellite (58w) (and a few feeds). Unless you get a real good Universal (Invacom) I would use a standard LNBF.

http://www.lyngsat.com/g4r.html

Maybe you are getting mixed up with C Band (four digit frequency) and KU Band (Five digit frequency)?

http://www.dmsiusa.com/charts.htm

A KU Universal LNBF just gives you a wider scanning range of the KU band. C-band requires the VERY large 8-10' dish....

Sorry if you know all this stuff already :eek:

Also found this.....

"A lot of motorised systems use a Universal LNB nowadays. This is good from the point of view of ease of installation and adjustment but it really is a compromise if you are dealing with any weak signals. e.g. Where a weak analogue signal might give a picture with terrible "sparklies", a weak digital signal can give a blank screen and no sound. You need to cut the losses as low as possible and provide an accurate adjustment for "skew" which is the rotational angle at which your dish receives the signal from the satellite."

PSB said:
Nothing much KU FTA on G4R, and a Universal is not really required for anything there. The only real benefit I have seen with a Universal LNBF is I can pick up Cubavision on the Pas 9 satellite (58w) (and a few feeds). Unless you get a real good Universal (Invacom) I would use a standard LNBF.

I don't think I can get farther east than 61.5 (My house is in the way)

[

A KU Universal LNBF just gives you a wider scanning range of the KU band. C-band requires the VERY large 8-10' dish....

Sorry if you know all this stuff already :eek:

Well, I had to give up 8' Winegard/ Drake IRD C/Ku setup when we sold our old house :D - So yah, I do know some of it!. But I obviously don't know it all!. Currently using a 1M Winegard/ SG 2100 HH motor / Pansat 2500A and get the arc from 61.5 to 127.0. Great hobby!

Craig

Ok, I'm only using the universal lnb in or to figure out what's happening. I am now pointing to Echo119w and get a nice 70% lock. When I input 12000H with sr of 20,000 (which is Anik E2) at the same location (118.7) I get nothing. What's the difference between the two?

My system for your reference;
Wingeard 76cm
Shystar2 pci
progdvb :(

Geez, so many variables! I mean I understand the Cband thing, just escaped my train of thought, newbies, were all the same! Thanks for the help!

OK, another question, some of the transponders on E119 come in weak 26% vs 70%, why? Also, will invest in a motor, which one is the best for a one meter dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts