1080i issue with DVI

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bfharris

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Florida
I looked through the threads to see if this was covered, but couldn't find it.
My TV supports 1080i rez, but I can only get it using component, but with component, everything in 16:9 has the widescreen format with black bars at top and bottom and 4:3 programming has black bars all around it. With DVI 4:3 programming just has black bars on left and right and 16:9 fills the screen, but I can only get 480p rez with DVI. My TV doesn't support changing the aspect in DVI or Component mode, but the main thing is not getting 1080i with DVI when my TV's DVI port supports it.
Any thoughts on receiver mods that can be made to get it to pump out 1080i using DVI?
Hope my question makes sense.
Thanks.

Have you tried the red button on the STB? Push it until only the top light glows.

I get a green screen when I select 1080i over DVI on the receiver and it says something about no signal on the screen. Yes, the red button has been used which is why I know it is only working in 480p with DVI, but can work in all rez using component. Separate issue I noticed is the time in my on screen guide is 1 hour behind the actual time in my zone.

I have a Samsung 65".
Yes I tried with all lights blinking, but still get the green screen.
The component works in all rez, but DVI only works when the 3rd light from the top is lit and from my understaning that is 480p.

bfharris said:
I read at
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=10506
where others have had problems with DVI and blackouts if I am reading it right. I have noticed that my sound blips for a second every few minutes or so with DVI, but doesn't seem to with component.

That thread refers to the old version (software) that had problems. Go to Voom button ---> Green button ---> system settings --->option # 7 and then scroll down to software page. The current software version is V00.05.68. Is that what you have?

You have the old software. I don't think the newer version will address the DVI issue @ 1080i.

Is it safe to assume that your TV is reporting the 'signal issue'? 'Snow' on the screen is the typical result of a DVI cable that can't pass the higher signal, but I would try another just in case. It's hard to believe that your set may be having a synch issue...but that may be the case.

Yes, DLP is correct on the TV.
Yes, it is the TV reporting the signal issue.
It actually says "no signal or out of range", but you can tell the picture is there, but it is green and flashing funky all around the screen, so it isn't actually snow, nor is it a solid green and only comes in correct when the receiver is set to the third light lit.
Again, component works at 1080 just fine.
Hmm. You think it could be the cable?
This DVI cable is simply one the installer had on his truck.
I would assume it is a newer cable and would work.

I edited my post and removed the 'dlp' part because on second thought I didn't think Samsung made a 65" 'er.

Is the DVI cable the one that came with the V* STB (6' long)? Something that short should work typically. I had a DVI cable that would pass the 480p signal but failed with 720p or 1080i, but it was 25' long. I would suspect your situation is either the cable or synch issue with the timing of the V* STB. I know I would try another quality DVI-D cable first as the next step.

Yep. I have a Samsung 65" Model HCN653W.
The DVI is about 6' in length and was just on the installers truck and didn't come with the Voom setup.
I'll see about picking up another cable tomorrow and giving that a shot.
Thanks Sean and Mr. Biggles for your help.

Just so you know, a DVI-D cable was supposed to be included with the V* 'kit'. This may or may not be what he used, but my 'kit' was one big giant box with everything inside.

Ummm. DLP. This is the way I setup the DLP through DVI for 1080i when you have connected, use the remote control of the DLP to cycle through DVI input and component on the DLP menu. Do this several times until you get a picture. Don't try 720p with the DLP samsung, something is not doing the handshaking with 720p. But for the 1080i use the cycle through the menu of the DLP between the DVI input and component until you get a picture. Make sure that while you are doing the cycling that the stb is set to 1080i.

Sean Mota said:
Make sure that while you are doing the cycling that the stb is set to 1080i.

I thought of that also Sean (need to cycle to force the 'handshake'), but disregarded it since he says that 480p over DVI was working. But seeing that you have first hand experience with a similar set...it could be a Samsung idiosyncrity. ( I think I botched that spelling :) )

720p didn't work for me w/5.08, but was fixed for 5.68. I run 720p and 1080i on a short DVI.

New software loaded last night, but didn't solve the problem.
Yes the set is HDCP compliant.
From what I understand, if it wasn't HDCP compliant though, that the DVI wouldn't work at all.
The set is supposed to automatically determine what the receiver output is to determine what rez should be used. If I let the receiver automatically run through to find the right setting, it stops on the 3rd light for 480p. The picture is crisp and clean, but if I can get an even higher rez, then I want it. :)

i think Samsung DLP sets are HLN prefix. The HCN refers to rear projection (CRT) units. Is there (in fine print) 480 by the DVI input? Is the DVI input DVI-D, or DVD-A?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)