DVI problem with Voom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Brian Buckstead

Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
I hope someone here can help me with this problem. I've had Voom since last December, and the STB has been connected to my TV with a DVI cable since the beginning. (My TV is a Hitachi 65 XWX 20B). Everything was fine until about 4 to 6 weeks ago, when I started getting this message:

DVI Conflict

Please correct the DVI connection. Your DVI device is not responding to HD Content Protection requests.

That message usually pops up like this: I turn on my TV and STB, and everything is fine. Then I start to change channels, and all of a sudden the DVI Conflict message comes up. Sometimes is happens on the first channel chage, sometimes it takes a few more. One that message is on, it stays there no matter which channel I try to change to. When I try watching TV a few hours later, the same thing happens - I get a signal at first, then the DVI message appears when I change channels.

According to my TV's manual, the DVI input on my TV has HDCP, so I'm not sure what the problem could be. Is there an updated version of HDCP? My STB is not connected to a phone line. Could that have anything to do with it? I'm pretty sure I have the most updated software - V00.05.68. In fact I had my STB replaced with a new model a couple of months or more before the message started.

I thought something could have been wrong with my DVI cable, so I had someone from Installs, Inc. come over to check it out, and he replaced the DVI cable with a new one. The same problem happened with the new cable. Now the STB is connected with component cables. The problem is gone of course, but I'm noticing a small change in picture quality. I'd really like to get it hooked up with DVI again.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,

Welcome. That's very strange. I looked up your HDTV model number and it's HDCP compliant. I am not aware of any changes but I think you should contact "Wilt Hildenbrand" wilth@optonline.net. He will know if something has changed. Email him as soon as possible and let us know what happens. He is the VP of Engineering at VOOm.

Brian, is your STB set to native mode? If so, try switching it to 1080i-fixed. See if it makes a difference.

Try this.. turn on your TV first, and watch for the top light bar to light up on the Voom box. Then turn on the receiver and try flipping channels. If it does not come on try resetting your box.

I have noticed that when I do not wait for the light bar to flash I have more "blinks" than if I do wait. Not sure why this happens but it does.

I am having a BIG problem. I just got Voom installed a couple of days ago. The installer didn't know what the hell he was doing. My main problem is that I have a Hitachi Ultravision 57-inch Project TV. It is capable of 1080 and 720p HDTV. Voom is only letting me get 480i. It really sucks. I tried the the red button thing, I tried checking the DVI connector and even tried switching it to component. When I change the Voom to the 1080i setting I can see the picture only it is cut in half and has black diagonal bars running across the screen.What I can see in between the messed up picture looks really good. The installer said " Well looks like your out of luck" and then took off without saying he was leaving. So far I thinking about getting rid of Voom. Why would I keep it if my TV isn't showing me HDTV! Anybody out there have any ideas? As far as I know my TV doesn't have a setting to change the resolution(Ive combed through the manual several times) Please help!

freaky57 said:
I am having a BIG problem. I just got Voom installed a couple of days ago. The installer didn't know what the hell he was doing. My main problem is that I have a Hitachi Ultravision 57-inch Project TV. It is capable of 1080 and 720p HDTV. Voom is only letting me get 480i. It really sucks. I tried the the red button thing, I tried checking the DVI connector and even tried switching it to component. When I change the Voom to the 1080i setting I can see the picture only it is cut in half and has black diagonal bars running across the screen.What I can see in between the messed up picture looks really good. The installer said " Well looks like your out of luck" and then took off without saying he was leaving. So far I thinking about getting rid of Voom. Why would I keep it if my TV isn't showing me HDTV! Anybody out there have any ideas? As far as I know my TV doesn't have a setting to change the resolution(Ive combed through the manual several times) Please help!

freaky,

welcome. I tried to look up your TV on the web to see the product specification. I don't have a model number but this link was very close to what you stated. I wonder if this is your TV. Link---> Hitachi

According to this link. It is a 1080i monitor. It is has DVI but it is not clear whether it is HDCP compliant through DVI.

If the above is not correct, just post the model number and the specifications from the manual.

The first thing I would do is put it through component. Make sure the connection is correct. Switch resolution on stb to 1080i fix (that's the top bar lit). If that does not work, you have a bad box and need a replacement. Anyone else with a similar HDTV?

Sean Mota said:
freaky,

welcome. I tried to look up your TV on the web to see the product specification. I don't have a model number but this link was very close to what you stated. I wonder if this is your TV. Link---> Hitachi

According to this link. It is a 1080i monitor. It is has DVI but it is not clear whether it is HDCP compliant through DVI.

If the above is not correct, just post the model number and the specifications from the manual.

The first thing I would do is put it through component. Make sure the connection is correct. Switch resolution on stb to 1080i fix (that's the top bar lit). If that does not work, you have a bad box and need a replacement. Anyone else with a similar HDTV?

I have the 57S700 (has an HD tuner vs the 57S500 which doesn't). I have no problem with Voom using the DVI input which is HDCP. He may have the top-of-the-line "X" vs the "S" series of UltraVision since his upconverts to 720p vs mine which upconverts to 540p. I have my Voom box set to 1080i output. It may be has a bad STB or even a bad TV. If he has a set with a built in HD tuner I suggest taking the lead out for the locals from the Voom spliter and connect it to the HDTV tuner input on the set, do a channel setup, and see if he gets the correct picture with the locals. If not, may be the TV.

Thanks for your suggestions, but nothing has worked so far. I tried turning on the TV first, then the receiver, but the problem still persists. I have the receiver set to 1080i as well. I'll try emailing Wilt to see what he thinks.

Brian

I have the SWX model of the 65" Hitachi. The DVI works but sometimes the picture has a weird red tint to it. The whole screen will just be red, but it will usually go back to normal if I unplug the STB. I don't know if it is a Hitachi problem or a VOOM problem since this is the only time I have ever used the DVI. I solved my problem by using the RGB inputs since the picture looks better to me anyway. Keep us informed.

kaw

Sean Mota said:
freaky,

The model number is 57T600 Hitachi Ultravision. it is rare model. I purchased the TV from ABC Warehouse. It is straight DVI not HDCP. I tried using component and I still am only able to get 480i. Voom is coming out this week to try and replace the box. They said that I wont be charged until they fix it.

Unless your DVI connection on your TV is HDCP compliant, you're not going to get a signal to go through the DVI cable.

However, for now you should be able to get a picture with component cable just fine. I sometimes wonder if my component picture isn't better than my DVI.

IMHO, the component pq is better than DVI on my DLP. I know it shouldn't be but it is.

Dvi

my DV-I cable hasn't worked well from the start.. it skips and stutters, I was told by Voom that it is a known conflict between some sets..I have a Toshiba 51H83. They have never fixed it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts