Becoming Jaded With Half/voom

I have been watching the VOOM 10 for about 2 months now--as well as HD Net and HD Net Movies. What is really a wonder is the HD Pay Per View Movies--that has real potential, but it also repeats itself and mostly just Imax stuff, not first-run flicks. So, VOOM wasn't the only one repeating--so were the other HD channels.

However, what would really turn the tide would be adding the Starz HD, TMC HD and Encore HD, Cinemax MD.

Dish's offerings with HBO/SHowtime are pretty pitiful, so I don't subscribe to those at all. Better off renting or buying the DVD.

I give Dish a year, then will see what Direct offers, but so far the PQ on Dish, both SD and HD approaches C-band, which is what I used to have. So, I have plenty to watch--this is with the 942.

Well, www.voom.com says 'More voom channels coming soon'

Does soon mean 6+ months? I don't think so. Well, I hope not. 'Soon' kind of implies sooner than 6 months for me.

But as others have said, if they don't start adding content and beef these up, there isn't much to watch!

I do miss Family Room though. Today would be Thunderbirds Saturday!

philhu said:
Well, www.voom.com says 'More voom channels coming soon'

Does soon mean 6+ months? I don't think so. Well, I hope not. 'Soon' kind of implies sooner than 6 months for me.

But as others have said, if they don't start adding content and beef these up, there isn't much to watch!

I do miss Family Room though. Today would be Thunderbirds Saturday!
I agree, I jumped on E* and cancelled cable when V* went under. I was with V* from the beginig. It seems that not only can they screw up being a true satellite provider, but they can't even do well at just programming.

What was up with all the press releases about selling to other providers, both cable & sat and investing up to $500M per year in the Voom 21 channels. They can't even provide variety with Voom-10 that is why they starting airing Lab because Rave has no new content.

This is really sad. This is V*'s last chance to save face and the name V*. If they continue not to add content then E* should just drop them and concentrate on getting Cinemax & Starz in HD.

Don't know about anyone else, but we have really come to love HDnet and HDmovies. My wife and I got hooked on Smallville, Boomtown and Odessy 5.

Voom, why don't you invest and do it right this time? I hope I didn't blow another $250 by investing in a 942 receiver. We lost enough money on your receivers. If it true that James is in charge of Voom HD programming and $$$'s then I hate to say it, but I am going to cancell the Voom package pretty soon. Now that is sad when 10 HD for $5.00 doesn't seem like a deal!

bookwalk said:
What is really a wonder is the HD Pay Per View Movies--that has real potential, but it also repeats itself and mostly just Imax stuff, not first-run flicks.

The studios ( except for New Line and Dreamworks ) will not allow their movies for PPV, not D* or E* fault.

bookwalk said:
However, what would really turn the tide would be adding the Starz HD, TMC HD and Encore HD, Cinemax MD.
Dish's offerings with HBO/SHowtime are pretty pitiful, so I don't subscribe to those at all. Better off renting or buying the DVD.

They are not too pitiful if you consider what is out there.
StarzHD-only one new HD movie a month, rest are up-converted.

TMC-HD-same as Showtime without the TV series Showtime has, just the same movies.

EncoreHD-gone, Starz turned this channel off, not offered anymore.

MaxHD-well worth it, there has been lots of slightly older movies shown in HD and OAR and a lot of new movies premiering first on Max, I love having this channel.

bookwalk said:
I give Dish a year, then will see what Direct offers, but so far the PQ on Dish, both SD and HD approaches C-band, which is what I used to have. So, I have plenty to watch--this is with the 942.

Remember, DirecTV cuts it's bit-rates on HD and Trims the HD resolution down to 1280ix1080.

No Surfing

Tvlman said:
Half Voom is kind of like a half-brain. It doesn't work too well. Only 3 movie channels and I've noticed that Equator and Rush are not putting on any new programming. Rush has stopped doing surfing entirely so it seems and I miss World Sports.

Looking for all 21 Voom channels on Jan. 1 or will really have to reconsider Dish vs. Cable. Right now I have Time Warner HD with HD-DVR and Dish/VOOM HD with the 811 and if I had to make a choice right now Time Warner would win.

Looking forward to the restoration of the VOOM 21 in 2006!

I'm bummed about the surfing basically being eliminated on RushHD. Now that I have the 942 and have it set to record any surfing related program, nothing surfing related has been shown on Rush. So bummed. No Pororocca, No Teahopoo/Tahiti, Nothing...I'm so bummed.
Now they've turned the weekend into fricken soccer. How boring is that? :mad:

hey man......

I was trying to make a joke and you make a remark like that about me. Well then screw you!!!!!!

Some messages deleted. No personal attacks and name calling, please!

My original point was that with variety (Original 21 plus 10 Premium Movie Channels) comes choice, whether it is Devine HD or Guy HD. As Shakespeare once said....."the HDTV's the thing!" (Didn't he??)

I've watched very little Voom10 since they switched to E*. I picked up Showtime and the Encore Ala Carte package and that's where most of my viewing time has been spent (not much during summer). I've been getting more into Animania the last 2 weeks, I grew up watching The Classics and it's nice to see them in HD.

wait until directv lights up the spaceway twins, and opens the fox studios vaults.

voom ....what is that???? 18 hours of a HD loop, same as before.

wait till sumner redstone buys ergen out, no more whining to corporate, he is the same as rup...you will get it when it is ready.
and they dont answer questions.

one question to the mod, this is in the voom dbs forum, correct?
voom is no longer a dbs company, correct? the forum should be cablevision HD channels delivered by dish. there is no voom co left. it is done , gonzo ,
end of story.

trying to keep its memory alive is so pitiful. it wasnt all that when they were in operation.

well vicki,

the lights went out!!! same as i said they would!!!

i never lied to you. i call the systems as i see them, or install them. voom was marginal at best.

vicki, it is done , it is NEVER coming back! EVER!!

your answer was then as it is now, woulda, shoulda, coulda!!!

it is off ,, right,,,i was right,,, correct??

....bob :cool: (you would know me as , DRAGON) :cool: :cool:

Hey, this looks like a thread will all my fond old Voom buddies posting in it! Reminds me of old times. I hope everyone is having a great summer.

Since Voom went belly-up the HDTV has been dark except for rented DVDs. We still reminisce about all the great shows on Gallery, Equator, FilmFest, and WorldCinema -- our all-time favorite channels, never to be outdone I hate to say.

Vicki said:
You got'em sweetcheeks...what the heck do you care? Those of us who really enjoyed VoOm thought it WAS all that...some of us still do. Does that pain you? Sorry.

Vicki

Vicki, I thought this site banned it(dragon)?

DarrellP said:
Maybe you should change your handle to "1080iBeVuMin...NOT"
Yeah, maybe I should. "1080iBeVuMin" makes me sad every time I see it. :no There will never be another class act like Voom. Voom gave me a glimmer of hope about TV. I should have known better that nothing that good can survive in the TV marketplace.

I am glad I did not sign up for Dish. I can tell from the posts I would not be happy with what they have done to our Voom.

But it is nice to check back here from time to time.

I still have my *activated* Voom receiver and *sealed* Channel Master antenna listed for sale in case anybody is interested.

kfried001 said:
I agree, I jumped on E* and cancelled cable when V* went under. I was with V* from the beginig.

We lost enough money on your receivers.

How have you lost money on your Voom receivers ?

I bought one receiver near the start of Voom, got $300 credit about 14 months ago, getting $400 check in 2 months. Looks to me like I lost nothing on my Voom receiver.

I thought so too...

vurbano said:
Vicki, I thought this site banned it(dragon)?
...guess that's what I get for doing my own thinking :D It's still good to see some of the good old folks, though! Like 1080iBeVuMin, my TV gets very little use except for DVDs...so sad, but Dish doesn't sound like my cup of tea either, so such is life! :(

Hope all you good folks are having a great summer! :)

Vicki

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)