1080i vs. 1080p Upconverterz

S U M 1

Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
S U M W H E R E
Well , I guess I actually worded tha title of my thread here "wrOng" ... az I don't really have any questiunz about tha "diff 'rence" between a "1080i" and a "1080p" UPCONVERTER . . . ( a 1080P model iz , no "doubt" , better than a 1080i model any day , I 'm sure! :) Heh , heh! ) ...

What I 'm really wanting (needing) to know iz ... say you have an HDTV which iz only capable of delivering "1080i" video quality ... and then say you buy an UPCONVERTER that's capable of upconverting to "1080p" ...

you're obviously nOt gonna get a "1080p" picture on a (HD)TV that's only capable of reproducing in "1080i" picture (video) quality ( at tha MAX ) , right ?

but , what my real questiun iz , tho , iz ... will a "1080P" UPCONVERTER ... or , should I say , any / all "1080P" UPCONVERTERz , be (completely) "compatible" with a (HD)TV that's only capable of reproducing a "1080i" picture?

( or do I need to get a "1080i" UPCONVERTER to uze with a "1080i" (HD)TV ? :confused: )

Only few TV sets can actually accept the 1080p signal. Unless your TV set can both display and accept 1080p signal, you will not be able to take advantage of the 1080p upconversion at all.

Even if your TV set is capable of that, I bet you will never tell a difference. IMHO, this 1080p upconversion is just a sham. ;)

... say you have an HDTV which iz only capable of delivering "1080i" video quality ...
Only CRT TV/pojector can deliver 1080i, every other technology based device - DLP, LCD, Plasma, LCoS, LED - cannot do it.

Upconverting is normally refered to increasing the vertical resolution of the video stream: 480 -> 720, 720 -> 1080, etc.
Converting 1080i to 1080p is called deinterlacing.

The picture you see on your TV originates from either film or video.

Film is 24 progressive frames per second.
When put on DVDs, it is telecined: each frame split into two interlaced fields and flagged as such. Re-assembling those two fields into a full progressive frame is called inverse telecine and can be done by practically any TV set today. The problem arises when those flags get screwed up during editing etc.

When movie is put on HD/BD it is kept as is, 1080/24p. Depending on the player and TV's abilities it is output either progressive or interlaced. No flagging errors take place and the picture you see on a 1080p TV set is the same regardless of your player abilities.

Video is most of the time 60 interlaced fields per second and those fields come from different time slices. There are many different ways to deinterlace such stream.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)