1080i vs 1080p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Optical Serenity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
Marietta,GA
I have to decide whether I want to use my AppleTV or the HR20 with HDMI. My Denon only has two HDMI inputs, and those are used by the PS3 (blu-ray) and 360. The LG plasma has two HDMI cables running to it. One is going to the AppleTV right now, but I don't watch video on there all that often.

What I'm getting at is, just how much content on DTV is actually 1080p? I don't ever, never, ever watch pay per view...or sports for that matter.

wildbill, Yeah, I've thought of that...would work well with my Harmony One it seems. Hate to sacrifice an HDMI port for something that won't use it.

wildbill, Yeah, I've thought of that...would work well with my Harmony One it seems. Hate to sacrifice an HDMI port for something that won't use it.
I have the HR20 and AppleTV into my (only two) HDMI ports and my DVD player via RGB (really it's that Y, Y-R, Y-B or whatever component is called) That way if I only want to listen to music via AppleTV, the red and white RCA cables (plugged directly into my amp/tuner) can be used with my iPod Touch using the Remote app. Does that sound sufficiently geeky?:cool:

Works well with my Harmony One....seamless, can't even tell it's there.....I don't have HDMI ports on my Yamaha receiver, only component video. I have my blue ray, dvd recorder and my HR20 on the Oppo......works great!

You videophile guys are going to laugh at me, but I have one of these and it works fine:

Meritline.com - HDMI v1.3 + HDCP 3 Ports Mini Switch, intelligent Auto Switch and 3 pcs of 6 Feet HDMI v1.3 Male to Male Digital A/V Cable, 30 AWG Cable, Category 2 Certified, Support 1080P HD Resolution

$20, with three serviceable hdmi cables.

It has a remote and can work with many programmables but I havent tried it with a harmony. But for the most part I dont even need to fiddle with remotes. When you turn something on, it will automatically switch the hdmi connection to that. When you turn it off, it looks to see if anything else is on and goes to that. I have a roku player, directv box and a ps3 on one. When I turn on the directv box or the ps3, it autoswitches to those. When I shut them off, goes back to the roku player.

About the only bad thing I've heard about it is some people have them die after 6-12 months. For $20 with three cables, I dont think I'll care.

They do also have a larger one for $60. I dont have any experience with that one.

Meritline.com - CML 4 x 2 HDMI v1.3 Aluminum Switch, 4 HDMI Input / 2 Different HDMI Output, Switch Blu-ray Player and Game Consoles, Supports 1080P, HDCP, Retail

And the answer to this is?

It's well worth the expense to move to 1080p is you are and avid movie fan and have a bluray player or rent PPV 1080ps. Directv, currently, has some great
1080p movies for rent some VOD some scheduled.:D

I downloaded a 1080p test vod once and saw that my tv duly noted it was displaying 1080p, other than that everything else I've watched from them from hd sports to movie channels to local channel content has topped out at 1080i and a fair bit of it is 720p. Heck, since 1/3 of what we watch is on SD channels like Travel, FLN, etc...a lot of it isnt even going that far.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts