1080p and 1080i Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

troqua

Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
I'm not technically inclined, nor do I understand HD technology, so bear with me please.

I just bought a Sharp Aquos LC-52D64U, a 1080p LCD. Connected to HD box via HDMI cable. In settings for Direct TV, TV Type, there is no option for 1080p, it's 1080i. When I initially set up the tv, the Display told me I was watching 1080p. It is now showing 1080i for every channel, even standard ones. I also set the thing to Native. What am I doing wrong here? I'll be happy to provide more info if needed.

Thanks!

Directv doesn't broadcast anything in 1080p HD so there is no need for them to include that resolution as an output resolution in their receivers so the highest resolution you'll get is 1080i.

As far as I know there are no broadcasters in NA that broadcasts anything in 1080p. The only way you can get something to show in 1080p on your shiny new screen is to get a HD-DVD player, a Blu-Ray Player, a PS3 video game console, an XBOX360 with HDMI output or a DVD player that can upconvert to 1080p.

Directv doesn't broadcast anything in 1080p HD so there is no need for them to include that resolution as an output resolution in their receivers so the highest resolution you'll get is 1080i.

As far as I know there are no broadcasters in NA that broadcasts anything in 1080p. The only way you can get something to show in 1080p on your shiny new screen is to get a HD-DVD player, a Blu-Ray Player, a PS3 video game console, an XBOX360 with HDMI output or a DVD player that can upconvert to 1080p.

Keep in mind the HD-DVD/Blu-ray players PQ for 1080p is 50x better than the regular DVD upconverts.

I'm not technically inclined, nor do I understand HD technology, so bear with me please.

I just bought a Sharp Aquos LC-52D64U, a 1080p LCD. Connected to HD box via HDMI cable. In settings for Direct TV, TV Type, there is no option for 1080p, it's 1080i. When I initially set up the tv, the Display told me I was watching 1080p. It is now showing 1080i for every channel, even standard ones. I also set the thing to Native. What am I doing wrong here? I'll be happy to provide more info if needed.

Thanks!

If you have a 1080p LCD, then everything you see on it is 1080p. The input from your HD box may be 1080i but your TV converts that to 1080p because that's the only resolution it can display.

Dana

What is best...having the HD box supplying everything to the 1080p TV in 1080i or having "native" selected and the other resolutions checked so only the TV does upconverting of 480i, 480p and 720p? My TV is a Panasonic 1080p plasma.

What is best...having the HD box supplying everything to the 1080p TV in 1080i or having "native" selected and the other resolutions checked so only the TV does upconverting of 480i, 480p and 720p? My TV is a Panasonic 1080p plasma.

If you have a newer Good TV, likes like you do, I would think the TV has a better processor in it than the D* box.
I know I have my Pioneer Elite do all the processing for my set up.

Whichever looks best to you, is what you should use.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.