1080p question

ronalr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Baltimore, MD
If I buy a Blu Ray player and use it with a 1080i TV will it work, I mean does it downgrade a 1080p dvd to 10801 to play on a 1080i TV? Is it worth buying it now or waiting to upgrade to 1080p tv? I have an up converting dvd player now...the Sony 400 disc one, and the reg DVD's look great. Will I see that much difference with Blu Ray even though I don't have a 1080p TV?
Thanks, Ron

It will output to several resolutions including 1080i. You will seea difference. Upconverting an SD DVD helps but there isa difference between that and true HD.

If I buy a Blu Ray player and use it with a 1080i TV will it work, I mean does it downgrade a 1080p dvd to 10801 to play on a 1080i TV? Is it worth buying it now or waiting to upgrade to 1080p tv? I have an up converting dvd player now...the Sony 400 disc one, and the reg DVD's look great. Will I see that much difference with Blu Ray even though I don't have a 1080p TV?
Thanks, Ron

From what I've read, there's no visual difference between 1080i and 1080p when watching movies output at 1080i on a fixed-pixel 1080p display like LCD or LCoS.

From what I've read, there's no visual difference between 1080i and 1080p when watching movies output at 1080i on a fixed-pixel 1080p display like LCD or LCoS.

Maybe I am reading him wrong but I think that he wants to know what it will look like ona display that is NOT capable of 1080p.

Maybe I am reading him wrong but I think that he wants to know what it will look like ona display that is NOT capable of 1080p.

Right. There is a difference between watching on a 1080i set vs. a 1080p set. There not a noticeable difference, on a 1080p set, between a 1080i/60fps source (such as a Toshiba HD-A3) and a 1080p source.

But back to the original question, I agree with the others - while I think it's definitely worth going to a 1080p set, depending on the size and your distance from it, you will notice a difference now with your 1080i/720p set between Blu-Rays and upconverted DVD's. Many places have been giving good deals, though, if you buy the TV and the player at the same time - making it look like they're giving you the player for free... just something to consider.

Thanks all, so it sounds like it will at least work on my 1080i, just not as good a picture as 1080p but better than up converted DVD. Just wanted to make sure if I bought a blu-ray player that it would play a blu-ray disc on my set.
Thanks for all the good info
Ron

Ron, they don't make 1080i (interlaced) sets any more. Unless you have a very old CRT-based set, all HDTVs sold today (LCD, DLP, plasma) are progressive. The difference these days is only in the input interface, e.g. HDMI, which may accept 1080i or 1080p signal. Visual difference between 1080i and 1080p signal is virtually indistinguishable on absolute majority of TV sets, so don't feel bad!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts