XBox Drives & 1080p

I have one (external drive, no console).
Haven't used it in a while, since last time I bought some HD DVDs and copied the movies to hard drive.

But the drive always performed as expected.

Diogen.

you wouldn't want to sell it, would you?
Not really.
I have quite a few HD DVDs.
I do not use them except one time to make a hard drive copy, but I have just one tape backup per hard drive.
I might have to rerip some of them in the future...

Diogen.

I just bought the slysoft software, am going to rip all my HD-DVDs one day. I am currently deciding on a NAS solution without breaking the bank.

If you are talking about ripping HD DVDs only, I don't think AnyDVD is a must, there are some free rippers (no BD+ on HD DVD disks).

Diogen.

I am going to do BDs too. I want to have all the movies in the house "on demand". I have a large DVD selection to rip too. The main constraint right now is the price of 2TB drives. I am waiting for them to drop a bit more before I go ripping crazy. A 14TB (10TB via raid 6) media server (what I estimate I would need given about 200 BD/HD DVDs + 200 DVDs) is about $1800.

A 14TB (10TB via raid 6) media server (what I estimate I would need given about 200 BD/HD DVDs + 200 DVDs) is about $1800.
You mean ten 2TB disks in RAID6? That would be 16TB unless you also run a hot spare...

I could never pull the plug on one big RAD setup for home media. It ain't cheap: case, motherboard, disks. And it's not quiet.
I use separate external drives, some of them with 2 mirrored drives...

Do you plan to rip all media as-is? With menus and extras?
If you are willing to re-encode and just movie+soundtrack, you can get away with about half the storage and most likely won't see the difference...

Diogen.

It is 7 2TB disks in raid 6, for about 10TB (yeah I know about 9.3 real TB when formatted).

It would go in the basement, so the noise would not be an issue. I have gigabit ethernet throughout the house (including all the TVs).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)