XBox Drives & 1080p

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have one (external drive, no console).
Haven't used it in a while, since last time I bought some HD DVDs and copied the movies to hard drive.

But the drive always performed as expected.

Diogen.

you wouldn't want to sell it, would you?
Not really.
I have quite a few HD DVDs.
I do not use them except one time to make a hard drive copy, but I have just one tape backup per hard drive.
I might have to rerip some of them in the future...

Diogen.

I just bought the slysoft software, am going to rip all my HD-DVDs one day. I am currently deciding on a NAS solution without breaking the bank.

If you are talking about ripping HD DVDs only, I don't think AnyDVD is a must, there are some free rippers (no BD+ on HD DVD disks).

Diogen.

I am going to do BDs too. I want to have all the movies in the house "on demand". I have a large DVD selection to rip too. The main constraint right now is the price of 2TB drives. I am waiting for them to drop a bit more before I go ripping crazy. A 14TB (10TB via raid 6) media server (what I estimate I would need given about 200 BD/HD DVDs + 200 DVDs) is about $1800.

A 14TB (10TB via raid 6) media server (what I estimate I would need given about 200 BD/HD DVDs + 200 DVDs) is about $1800.
You mean ten 2TB disks in RAID6? That would be 16TB unless you also run a hot spare...

I could never pull the plug on one big RAD setup for home media. It ain't cheap: case, motherboard, disks. And it's not quiet.
I use separate external drives, some of them with 2 mirrored drives...

Do you plan to rip all media as-is? With menus and extras?
If you are willing to re-encode and just movie+soundtrack, you can get away with about half the storage and most likely won't see the difference...

Diogen.

It is 7 2TB disks in raid 6, for about 10TB (yeah I know about 9.3 real TB when formatted).

It would go in the basement, so the noise would not be an issue. I have gigabit ethernet throughout the house (including all the TVs).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)