1080p via PS3 problem

lex666

Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Hey guys,

My Toshiba Hi Def TV is supposed to be capable of displaying a picture at 1080p. I recently got a PS3 and during the set-up, it gives you the option to select the display values. I selected 1080p, but it error'ed out. The max resolution the PS3 will output to my tv (without error'ing out) is 1080i. This kinda defeats my purpose for veiwing Blu Ray movies as my regular DVD player already upsacles my movies to 1080i anyways.

Is there a reason why the PS3 won't output 1080p to my tv? I know when I bought my TV it said it was capable of displaying images in 1080p. I'm using an HDMI cable directly to my tv, but using an toslink optical cable to my home theater receiver for audio. There's no settings on my TV to enable 1080p.

My tv does display 480i, 480p, 720p, & 1080i with no problems. Blu Ray is the only format capable of displaying 1080p on my tv, but that doesn't seem to be working out for me...

anyone know what's up?

Thanks,

I spotted the problem...

"My Toshiba Hi Def TV ....I recently got a (sony)PS3..."

They don't like to play well together ;)

Seriously, though, I'm not sure about it. Everybody else around here has no problem getting 1080p out of the PS3. I have a 720p TV, so I haven't tried the 1080p option. Some 1080p TV's actually don't support 1080p input. You may want to recheck your specifications to see if that's the case. Another thought too, you should still be fine if the PS3 outputs 1080i if the TV's deinterleaver works good. It should produce the near perfect 1080p picture still with the Blu-ray content.

My friend has a 62" Mitsubishi DLP that is supposed to display 1080p, but his PS3 does the same thing when he goes to set it to 1080p.

His TV is a 2006 model.

Toshiba 1080P problem....

I had the same problem. I called Toshiba. They said that the screen is 1080P...what it does..is upconvert to 1080P. The port is 1080i then the tv upconverts to 1080P.:hatsoff:

Hey guys,

The max resolution the PS3 will output to my tv (without error'ing out) is 1080i. This kinda defeats my purpose for veiwing Blu Ray movies as my regular DVD player already upsacles my movies to 1080i anyways.

Even if you can't resolve the 1080p output issue, you are still much better off watching BDs at 1080i than upconverted SD DVDs. There is a world of difference, though some would argue not as much if you have a Toshiba HD DVD player or an Oppo.

They said that the screen is 1080P...what it does..is upconvert to 1080P.
Term "upconverting" is normally used when resolution of the output is higher than the input.
This is not the case with 1080i/1080p.

To display a 1080i image on a 1080p display either deinterlacing on IVTC (inverse telecine) is applied.
Deinterlacing is used for video material (e.g. sports, 60 interlaced fields at different times).
IVTC is used for film based material (movies, conversion to 1080/24p).

Deinterlacing is some sort of art, IVTC - science.

Diogen.

Even if you can't resolve the 1080p output issue, you are still much better off watching BDs at 1080i than upconverted SD DVDs. There is a world of difference, though some would argue not as much if you have a Toshiba HD DVD player or an Oppo.

Agreed - huge difference between Blu-Ray and upconverted DVD, even if your TV was only 720p capable...

The other thing I was going to suggest was making sure the 24hz option was turned off on the PS3, but it sounds like you found the problem....

Unfortunatly, the 62HM195 even though advertised as a 1080P will only output 1080i. I had many conversations with Toshiba on this. They agreed this is the case. I replaced mine with a Samsung 67 and it works fine.
I have the 62HM196 and it only accepts a 1080i input and then outputs 1080p to the display after taking the signal and turning it into a progressive one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts