116.8W SatMex5 in SE Minnesota?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

a_hockeynut

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
Rochester, Minnesota
Just a sponge here trying to soak up as much FTA as I can!

I have had my FTA system setup for a couple weeks now (36 inch motorized dish, fortec classic NA reciever), and am trying to get as much FTA as I can find. In particular I have been trying to find sports feeds, but love the classic channels as well.

I found out there are some sports feeds on 116.8W, and yes the kohl FTA website indicates for 116.8W "Extremely weak signal in northern U.S. states". So being here in SE Minnesota, what is the likelihood of me being able to get this satellite?

I get 123W and 105W no problem, and when I do the blind scan on 116.8W, I see the signal strength quite strong for some of the TP's, but it never finds any channels.

Should be OK as I get it here in the metro area! remember feeds come and go so will not be there all the time! And remember never to post feed info here in the opebn area!

Nice to have you here :)

I can get a couple of the stronger transponders on it. The one I was trying to get was BYU TV (they have some classic BYU sports on weekends) and I can sometimes get a flicker on the meter :(

but Satmex5 is a bugger to get in the northern states

nah. Just move the C-Band a smidge to the east and I can get it (C-Band is mainly fixed at G4/G16) and BYU is on IA5 C-Band

Just checked I am getting 6-7 channels at around 65% Signal Quality!

VERY overcast today!

Iceberg said:
I can get a couple of the stronger transponders on it. The one I was trying to get was BYU TV (they have some classic BYU sports on weekends) and I can sometimes get a flicker on the meter :(

but Satmex5 is a bugger to get in the northern states

Yep, BYU was the one I was looking for. Part of the reason I am asking is I am trying to figure out if I need to "tweak" my dish to get some of these I have been trying for. Of course the other issue may be the trees I have that direction, but fall is coming and those leaves will be off soon, I think that might help.

I guess the other option is to get on of the big C-band dishes, however my wife was not to thrilled about putting up the 3 foot dish, so a 10 foot dish just is not going to happen :)

I get BYU TV on a 6 foot dish :)

I know on the BYU website, when you click on "how to view us" the neighboring states to Utah have the KU listed but the midwest east has just C-Band listed :(

Iceberg said:
I get BYU TV on a 6 foot dish :)

Ahh, so I can tell her it is only double the size of the dish I have now (and it would only be the 4th dish, as I have 2 dishes already for dish network along with my 3 foot FTA dish)! :D

Iceberg said:
Dish Network has it on channel 9403 (available through Dish with any programming)

<blush> Here I thought I needed help finding stuff on FTA, and you are helping me find channels I already had with dish network! Now I just have to remember to check there for when they are having some sports on :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)